PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journeys

laurenjade
29-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I went on a course on saturday about learning journeys, I must admit I am getting confused about observations do we just do small obs each week eg doing their coats up, making marks, playing with building blocks and lego.

How often should we be doing big observations? Is this when you do your planning.:eek:

Please help as I am so confused.

venus89
29-03-2011, 05:11 PM
I find that I'll do small obs on a wekly/daily basis depending on what the child does and larger ones far less frequently. They are usually linked to planned activities where I know that I'll want to follow up the activity as then I do next/steps or ideas for extending the activity, repeat and then write up what happened the second time IYSWIM?

sarah707
29-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I find short obs work best too!

Notes to say what the child is doing, saying, enjoying, not enjoying etc.

Then thinking about what this means in terms of ideas for more activities and games the child will enjoy.

Hth :D

SYLVIA
29-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I do short obs now. I used to write up very involved ones but I find it easier to do small ones. I also do a weekly summary of things they have done in each area and sometimes put a small photo on it (usually printed on the pogo)

Penny1959
29-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I do very short ones - as often as needed.

I have large board in lounge (piece of cardboard propped up on mantle - taken down at end of day) and a pile of pre cut card shapes (from scrap card) just jot down things as see and hear them - also things parents tell me at drop off / collection times, stick onto board with blue tac. At end of week take off board sytick into LJ.

Very visual, very easy, parents love it

Penny

mrs_scottydog
29-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I went on a Learning Journeys course on Saturday too, I personally didn't find it that helpful.
I do a lot of small observations that I write down on post it notes, I then link these into the EYFS and for some of them I have next steps. I also do a few longer observations, maybe once a month, which are a bit more in depth and have planning and next steps for each area of learning. In my learning journey if I have one I put a photo with the observations. Hx

mrs robbie williams
30-03-2011, 06:17 AM
I tend do do an obs if i have something evidential to put in learning journal - link them together and do next steps from it, ive recently become a member of noble minder and love their observation form :thumbsup:

Hayley102
14-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I was advised to do small observations to inform my summative assessments and therefore individual planning and longer indepth observations on any areas you feel need developing/are weaker to show what you are doing to support this area.