PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

handeme
29-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Well I have completed my first two days of childminding and I am exhasuted!!

The little boy that I am looking after full time has only ever been with mummy, daddy and grandma, never been to a play group, gets picked up when he crys and is extremley jealous of everyone.

He crys when I leave the room even just to pop into the kitchen (I have never had a wee break so quickly!! lol)

I am hoping that it is just becuase he has been left for the first time.

On a daily basis I have my own 12 month old and 4 year and then this 11 month old mindee.

What I have been trying to do is when he crys for me to pick him up I have been trying to ignore it and continue playing doing something else. If he gets really upset then do pick him up but then as soon as he stops I put him down.

His mum has trouble settling him down for naps so as soon as I notice he is tired I have been putting him the pram and rocking/walking him (this is what she does)

Today has been better than yesterday, so hopefully he is settling in well.

Is this normal ?!?! :panic:

caz3007
29-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes it is.

I started a month ago with a little girl who is the same age and she wanted to be picked up all the time, I refuse to and mum supports that. She can see me when I go in the kitchen but stands at the gate crying and going to the loo, well she is popped in the travel cot and off I go. She is getting better cos she has realised how it is going to be when she is here.

It must be quite hard for small ones to suddenly be dumped all the time with some strange person, but they soon adapt

venus89
29-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm sure it will get better with time :)

Try getting down on the floor and playing rather than picking him up (I'm not suggesting you don't do that, it's just that if you are down he can't be up......)

I look after a nearly 3 year old and when he first came, at 5 months, he wanted to be held all the time. I used to feel physically sick by the time he went home after a 10 hour day from the pain in my arms. But now he is the dearest little things and very much a part of my family....

Chatterbox Childcare
29-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Stick with it and you will be there very shortly.

The more you have them in a week the quicker he will settle

Ear plugs are a good expense!! :laughing:

handeme
31-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks.

Well it is improving it was almost as if a different baby had come today.

The only thing is sleep time. He won't go to sleep unless his is being cuddled or rocked to sleep. I spent 40 minutes today trying to rocking him to sleep only for him not to go and I obviously dont have 40 minutes spare everyday to do this.

venus89
31-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Well that's really good, he's obviously settling in well......

The LO I looked after was the same, had to be rocked to sleep. I got around it by putting him in his carseat and rocking that with one hand so when he fell asleep I was free and so I had my second hand, and my body, free for other children. Could you try with a pushchair? With permission, of course....

Goatgirl
31-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks.

Well it is improving it was almost as if a different baby had come today.

The only thing is sleep time. He won't go to sleep unless his is being cuddled or rocked to sleep. I spent 40 minutes today trying to rocking him to sleep only for him not to go and I obviously dont have 40 minutes spare everyday to do this.

Glad he's settling :)

I'd explain to Parents you can't rock for 40 minutes at a time and ask for signed permission to use a buggy. If a walk can be timed to fit in with his sleep time all to the good. If not: at least you can push a buggy back and forth while still interacting with the other children, and let go when he drops off without waking him :thumbsup:

I had one mindee who I rocked to sleep in a buggy with a coloured muslin sheet draped over the hood and handle: made her feel 'cosy' I think and less likely to be distracted as she was dropping off. Also kept the light slightly muted and she seemed to sleep longer once I started this. Obviously risk assess...

Good luck :)

bws,
Wendy