PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else in a 1 bedroom flat??

Pandypops
29-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi - I am in a first floor, one bedroom flat and will be when I have my pre-reg visit. I have an outdoor balcony which can be made suitable for outdoor play, but I have thought of lots of places to go outdoors and I have a club lined up for every day too.

As I already have a 1 year old son, do you think I will get permission for at least 1 more child - the living room in the flat is spacious with open plan kitchen (will I need to cordon this off somehow?).

Should I forget about using the balcony area and just risk assess/plan outdoor activities elsewhere as well as going to groups??

Thanks!!

gigglinggoblin
29-03-2011, 02:28 PM
This thread

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20826

talks about how much floor space is required, I assume thats still up to date but I cant remember where it says it. Number of bedrooms doesnt matter unless you are planning to use them as play space, mine are registered just for sleeping. You can use the kitchen but you will need to risk assess it (as you will everywhere else), just figure out what the risks are and how you will keep children safe. If the balcony is safe then I think its much easier to have outdoor space than not, it means some children can play out while others are sleeping, you can go in and out if the weather is changeable, use it for messy play etc. I would ask and if Ofsted have a major problem with it they will tell you, their first visit is supportive more than anything else.

Pandypops
29-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the post and as my room is 21 square metres, I would expect that I should have enough space for at least 1 (plus my son), hopefully more children!

I really hope not having a garden will be a problem!

JoJo*
31-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey -

Not having a garden defo isnt a problem as long as you can tell them where you can take them for outside play they will be fine -
My pre-reg visit was a little quicker than expected and we were still having a new fence put up - they have registered me without a garden (well as soon as my certificate comes that is) and i can add the garden at a later date - this didnt effect my numbers either so you should be fine! Good luck!:jump for joy: