PDA

View Full Version : Did you move from NCMA to MM (if so please read)

Chatterbox Childcare
26-03-2011, 07:28 PM
As the title says did you?

Wanting to guage those that have moved to see if you still retained the NCMA membership and if not why not?

Just a poll for myself so please feel free to just vote if you don't want to comment

Mouse
26-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Two years ago I switched my insurance to MM, but kept up with the NCMA membership. This year I had the renewal through from NCMA, but forgot about it. I didn't ever get a reminder (in previous years I'd had a phone call) and by the time I realised I hadn't renewed my membership, I realised that I hadn't missed it :blush:

flowerpots
26-03-2011, 07:37 PM
i moved to mm quite recently and didnt keep up my ncma membership because i have never used it for anything over the past year. :blush:

Minstrel
26-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I've changed and was considering keeping the membership but like Mouse I wasn't called up so I haven't got round to it yet. One of the reasons for keeping it would have been so i could carry on using the paperwork for a cheaper price but a) I have heard MM's is very good and b) The memebrship cost will probably be more than the savings I would make.

hth

What's the reason for the poll? Are you going to approach NCMA with it?

Pipsqueak
26-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I will be moving my insurance to MM next year and keeping my membership with NCMA - as I do believe in their work.

Playmate
26-03-2011, 07:52 PM
As you know both Blue boy and I are involved with NCMA regionally and nationally and feel that this is important. NCMA have shaped so much of Childminding's past and we still need a voice in the future, otherwise who knows what we will be expected to do next :rolleyes: If it wasn't for NCMA our Ofsted registration fees would certainly be much higher and that is just one out of the many good things they done :D

onceinabluemoon
26-03-2011, 07:59 PM
As you know both Blue boy and I are involved with NCMA regionally and nationally and feel that this is important. NCMA have shaped so much of Childminding's past and we still need a voice in the future, otherwise who knows what we will be expected to do next :rolleyes: If it wasn't for NCMA our Ofsted registration fees would certainly be much higher and that is just one out of the many good things they done :D

Perhaps they could offer a smaller package then. Something like you get their card and can buy stuff cheaper for around 20 quid a year or something.

I used NCMA for the first time this year, paid 70 or 80 quid I think and all I got out of it was 6 little pamphlets which I didnt even read and invitations to group meets that are so far away I have no hope of getting to them so for me at least its not even worth the 50 quid renewal fee. I didnt get any welcome pack or anything and even missed one of the mags so actually got 5...
If I could get something like I said above, I'd gladly pay my 20 quid, have my little card, not use them for advice or insurance (since i don't anyway) thus supporting them more than I will be (at zero pounds) but not wasting quite so much money...

Maybe i'm out of order bit its an idea.

gigglinggoblin
26-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Agree with blue moon. I work part time and only term time, to join NCMA will cost more than a weeks wages! £20 a year I would be happy to get a little card to say I am a member but I cant afford the huge membership fee they have at the moment. Group membe ship was mentioned to me but it wasnt much different. I was a member for a year and didnt find them any use at all on a personal level. £20 a year for the representation we get is well worthwhile for me and affordable. And surely it would help them more than nothing!

Heaven Scent
26-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I moved to MM after a year and kept my NCMA membership but to say that I think its worth the money would be a lie - its not. I feel they are yes men to the powers that be and are no longer supporting and representing their members. As they have no involvement in networks or training in this area there is no real obvious advantage to me having the membership at the moment but I am living in hope that they will get back on course and will begin representing the true needs of minders again. Also with the Local Authorities doing away with Development officers and Childminding Network coordinators positions I believe there will be a gap to be filled and NCMA will be there to fill it.

marian
26-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I am insured with MM but kept my NCMA membership because I feel it is important to be part of a professional body and that they have a 'voice' for us childminders.

Marian x

AnnieM
26-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I have been with MM for years, when there used to be a lot of childminders in our village we had a really good cm group, the coordinator kept up the membership of ncma and passed all the information on to us, but most cm's chose to change and go with MM. TBH I was going to restart my ncma membership, but it works out too expensive with the MM insurance and I prefer their cover and paperwork. I only have a couple of children at the moment so can't justify the cost. I agree though that if there was a cheaper option I would definitely join again.

Chimps Childminding
26-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Mine is due at the end of this month, and I am undecided what to do! I have always been with NCMA, but with membership and insurance it is over £70 which I can't really justify at the moment :blush:

aly
27-03-2011, 12:04 AM
I am with ncma, and i forgot to change in feb...i will be changing at next renewal, and I dont think I will be keeping membership.....Myself and a fellow collegue has had no help or guidance despite several calls...no replies so feel {for us} we dont get the memberhship benefit of guidance so will not be giving them my money.....

singlewiththree
27-03-2011, 08:14 AM
~I had to keep the membership as I'm on an NCMA network that requires membership otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

onceinabluemoon
27-03-2011, 08:19 AM
I am with ncma, and i forgot to change in feb...i will be changing at next renewal, and I dont think I will be keeping membership.....Myself and a fellow collegue has had no help or guidance despite several calls...no replies so feel {for us} we dont get the memberhship benefit of guidance so will not be giving them my money.....

I've emailed them twice about different things and never received a reply either, hence another reason for not bothering to renew.

Our county has a local CMA who always answer your calls, day or night, who help you in court and who sell paperwork and other items cheaply - all for around 30 pounds a year! If they can do it I cannot see why NCMA have to charge so much. Maybe if they lowered prices they would get more members...

little chickee
27-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I've answered although i'm SCMA not NCMA so don't know if it counts!

I changed to MM because it is cheaper, i can use my own contracts and i had not had any benefit from being a member of SCMA.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-03-2011, 05:44 PM
All interesting and I will feed back the information

For those who say they don't get anything for their membership did you not get Who Minds, use the fact sheets online and get the vouchers? These have saved me more than £200 this year alone

I asked this poll as I may have to change the insurance due to the numbers of children and found the NCMA not to be flexible but my membership and support of NCMA will always be there because of the benefits.

Answering Heaven Scent - it is down to your local authority who they set up as the network organisers and not NCMA who would bid but maybe not get the contract. maybe push your council to get answers on that one

gigglinggoblin
27-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I dont remember ever receiving a copy of Who Minds, MM send a magazine by email fairly frequently and it is really good.

Never used the fact sheets.

Would have liked to use the vouchers but always shop online and they only do them for use in the shops so no good at all for me.

Biggest factor in not wanting their insurance is their reputation is so bad compared to MM, dont think I have ever read a bad report about MMs cover or service, its almost the exact opposite for NCMA!

Donkey
28-03-2011, 06:50 PM
I switched to mm insurance after my first year and I am considering ncma membership so that I am part of a professional body...

just the cost aspect thats stopping me :(

Roseolivia
31-03-2011, 08:34 PM
When i went on maternity last September i rang them to let them know as my membership and insurance was due and didn't want to pay whilst on leave. They put it on hold but only for 6mth even though i'm taking the 9mths off and that's if i get any mindees when i'm due back in July. I got a letter this month to say my renewal is due but am not paying it as it's £70 ish and can't afford it and think it's 3 mths cover wasted.