PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Out - Problems Already!!

Pandypops
24-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Hello - nice to meet you all. I am hoping to become a childminder so I contacted my local council and they informed me that they are no longer taking on childminders so are not providing the pre-reg meetings or any courses/training/support until at least 2010.

So, that has stumped me somewhat. I believe I can still apply to be a childminder directly via Ofsted which is what I plan to do, but they have informed me that I will need to do "the course" within 6 months of registration.

Can someone please tell me which course this is so I can see if I can complete it somewhere other than with my local council?

Also, what are the other requirements - just a 1st Aid course and CRB checks? I am going to have to muddle along without the benefit of having received information at a meeting so have lots of questions.....

Thanks for reading!!

Susana0600
24-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi, I am in SUrrey and I had ChiP course and first Aid, which are requiere by Ofsted, I think you should contact Ofsted and ask them where you can have this courses, anyway you could do it at a college, look at internet.
Hope you will sorted it our soon. xx

sarah707
25-03-2011, 08:46 AM
The registration process includes an introduction to childminding course.

The course (ICP) is called different names in different areas - in Cheshire for example it's the 'ICC' - introduction to childminding Cheshire!

It is the first unit of the NVQ3 in Early Years - oh it's got a new name and I can't remember... anyone?! :rolleyes:

You can access it online or via colleges but it will cost you money - your local training people should be able to give you advice.

While you can start working without the course (you must do it within 6 months of registration) it is not recommended because the course gives you a lot of the information you need to work as a childminder.

Good luck :D

Andrea08
25-03-2011, 08:49 AM
agree with sarah but its so unfair ...

ask yourself though hun how much child care is in your area, it might mean there is too much and everyone has large vaccancies etc, wouldnt want you to do all the hard work getting registered only to find you dont get any mindees?

we have so much childcare in my area ive got only part timers and the money atm is rubbish.

good luck

rickysmiths
25-03-2011, 11:10 AM
The new 'NVQ Level 3' is Children and Young People's Workforce Level 3 Diploma.

You can do this online with the National Training College.

Ofsted sort out all the CRBs as part of your Application process.

First Aid check with your local St John Ambulance or Red Cross if you get no joy contact your local Scout Group and ask who delivers their First Aid Training because although all these may cost, our Scout First Aid Lady through scouts would charge £80 to do the Ped First Aid.

Hope this helps.

The other thing you could try other areas in your county who may still be offering training even if it means travelling. I know her in Hertfordshire they only do one session in each of four areas each year now, partly because there were just too many childminders to be honest. There is nothing stopping anyone going on any of the courses if there is space.

Mollymop
25-03-2011, 11:26 AM
agree with sarah but its so unfair ...

ask yourself though hun how much child care is in your area, it might mean there is too much and everyone has large vaccancies etc, wouldnt want you to do all the hard work getting registered only to find you dont get any mindees?

we have so much childcare in my area ive got only part timers and the money atm is rubbish.

good luck

I was going to say the same as Andrea. If they are not taking on childminders it means that there usually isn't enough work in your area. So I would think hard before paying out for all the courses and materials you need to start up yourself, including CRB checks, courses, NCMA toolkit , which most councils will pay for if you wait for them to start taking on again, than paying out and then finding you haven't any work. Good luck x

Chatterbox Childcare
25-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I was under the impression that you had to do the council course but I don't think that is strictly true, they like you too.

I couldn't get hold of the council a couple of days ago so rang Ofsted, they directed me to a EYC form on their website of www.ofsted.gov.uk and I completed it, emailed it back and they are sending a copy of the back page to be signed through the post

I found out the next day from the council that this wasn't the system they wanted and it wasn't recommended and I could get on the next course in June 2011!

Pandypops
25-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all your replies! I did call Ofsted and, as you said Debbie, they asked me to fill in the EYC and EY2 forms and take it from there. I would be able to do the course independently, but without any council help and it does seem like a lot of start-up costs with no guarantee of work.

How much (roughly) did it cost those with experience to start-up?

Grrr - I really wanted to do this!!

ryanna
25-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Hiya, I wasn't in quite the same position as you when I registered in that there were places on the council run course but I was too impatient to wait for it to start :blush: so I went and did it all off my own back (and was registered 3 months earlier than the people who did wait for the council course incidentally!)

The courses are slightly different now but I did the first unit of the Level 3 Diploma in Home-Based Childcare with the National Extension College via distance learning, and sat the multi choice exam at the end of it online at a local test centre. I paid about £125 (I think) for the one unit which was what replaced the previous ICP, and then a further £50 odd to the test centre directly. St Johns Ambulance run 12 hour paediatric first aid courses at about £80 (again I think that's what I paid). And your GP will probably charge you for completing the medical section of your application to Ofsted. Mine wanted £80 but when I told them I could only claim £25 back from the council for it they agreed to only charge me that. Then Ofsted will charge you for registering with them (£30 now?).

When I attended the pre reg meeting having already signed up to all this I was told that I could claim the costs back from the council, which I did and they sent me a cheque covering all of the above. Although if your council are saying they're not recruiting cm's maybe they wouldn't reimburse you.

Maybe you could ask them why they aren't taking on new cm's at the moment. If it's because there are too many already then at least you'll know that and be prepared. But they might just say they are having to make cuts and that's one area they can't afford to spend out on at the moment. They may be relying on people like you who really want to do it and are possibly willing to pay for it themselves to get up and running, rather than wasting money on people whose hearts aren't really in it but think they'll give it a go. Do some research yourself too, the FIS website should give you an idea of how many cm's are already in your area.

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

~Grasshopper~
26-03-2011, 08:46 AM
hiya,

my local council didnt have any money left so i had to pay everything myself, ive easily spent over £500 but its been spread out over the year and i can put it all through as expenses.

i was also going to say search your area on the *************.gov site and childcare.co.uk, search immediate vancancies and see how many there are.

good luck.
xxx

Pandypops
27-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks so much for your replies! I have decided to go with it alone and have booked onto the St Johns 1st Aid Course in 2 weeks time. I will apply to Ofsted and then will do the course (I think it is called CYPOP now isn't it??) by myself. Do I need to do anything else, like Food Hygiene or anything like that??

The only other thing that worries me is preparing my flat for inspection - where will I find any guidelines for doing this properly? It is a 1 bedroom flat and not very big and I already have a child - will Ofsted therefore let me look after at least 1 more child do you think?

I have checked out other minders and there are a few vacancies but not loads - I may have someone lined up already which is good.

Thanks.

ryanna
27-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Good on you! Go for it :-)

If you plan to prepare, cook or reheat food for the children or basically do anything other than dish up food bought in a lunchbox from home, you will need to register with environmental health as a food premises and do a level 2 food hygiene course. You can do that online though, mine took 3 hrs if I remember rightly. I don't recall how much that was, sorry.

If you haven't already, you might want to join the NCMA. Not essential, but they are very helpful and are effectively the trade union for cm's, they know what they're talking about! They can answer all your questions, will probably be able to put you in touch with a support cm and you get a free pack of paperwork, the childminders toolkit they call it, with your membership (bonus!). You will also eventually need public liability insurance but that can be done via NCMA too. Other companies like Morton michel are popular for that but you get your first year free with NCMA (check thats still the case first though) :) There is a food hygiene pack called 'safer food, better business for childminders', which I think I may have got from NCMA, that's also a handy
booklet to have, and satisfies the requirements for cm's by environmental
health.

You'll find out about other bits and bobs as you go along but those are the basics really, and as long as you're aware of them and don't start actually minding until they're in place they aren't things that you must already have to register with ofsted.

Good luck with everything :)

Pandypops
27-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks Ryanna for the info. I will do the online food hygiene course. I have done it before but it was about 8 years ago and I have no idea where the certificate is!

I will join NMCA I think as it will be a good resource if I can't get any help from my LA. I really do hope I can get registered and that it all goes smoothly with Ofsted!

Does the childminding toolkit answer all questions I will have before Ofsted visit the first time - I hope so!!

Thanks.

Pauline
27-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Ryanna for the info. I will do the online food hygiene course. I have done it before but it was about 8 years ago and I have no idea where the certificate is!

I will join NMCA I think as it will be a good resource if I can't get any help from my LA. I really do hope I can get registered and that it all goes smoothly with Ofsted!

Does the childminding toolkit answer all questions I will have before Ofsted visit the first time - I hope so!!

Thanks.

You can order the Safer Food Better Business for Childminders here: http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/ it is free.

Level 2 Food Hygiene, online - this is the one I and many Forum members, have done: Food Hygiene (http://www.virtual-college.co.uk/products/food-hygiene-catering.aspx?A=469&B=2&SubAffiliateID=FHonlinec%22%20Target=%22_blank%22)

The NCMA Toolkit is more for when you start childminding and it might be best to wait until you are sure you will be registered before buying it.

If you need help on getting started and preparing for Ofsted to visit just ask away on here, we are all here to help you :thumbsup:

Pandypops
27-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks Pauline - it seems like a minefield at the moment. As I won't receive the application pack with what to expect/how to prepare for the pre-reg Ofsted visit, I am really worried I will not get registered.

Is there anywhere I can get the info as to what I need to do between now and when the visit will be?? And what paperwork do I need to be cracking on with??

So much to do!!:eek:

ryanna
27-03-2011, 11:48 PM
The ofsted website has loads of guidance documents - one called 'preparing for your registration visit might help you :)

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Care-and-local-services/Childcare/Registration/Policies-and-guidance

Pauline
28-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks Pauline - it seems like a minefield at the moment. As I won't receive the application pack with what to expect/how to prepare for the pre-reg Ofsted visit, I am really worried I will not get registered.

Is there anywhere I can get the info as to what I need to do between now and when the visit will be?? And what paperwork do I need to be cracking on with??

So much to do!!:eek:

There are lots of help and advice booklets and Ofsted guidance in the free downloads (right hand side tab in here): www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources)

They might help you get started. :thumbsup: