PDA

View Full Version : Am I being unreasonable?

ASHG1
24-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I haven't been childminding for long so still trying to get to grip with most things! I have 1 mindee at the moment and the parent informed me a week ago that she has to go away on a course next month for a two weeks so I agreed with her that I would chg half fees for these two weeks to help her out. Her ex is going to look after mindee whilst she is away. I stated in the contract that she would pay full fees for any leave she takes so in my eyes I'm doing her a favour!lol However the next day she tells me she's booked another week off so im only going to have mindee for one week and one weekend which is fair enough but she keeps hinting for me to reduce fees further! I can see her point of view but it is a business! Am I doing the right thing by not reducing fees further? Would you?:huh:

Pipsqueak
24-03-2011, 08:31 PM
You have said it yourself you are a business. So, that said you are NOT a charity, I presume you are working so that you can support yourself and your family? If so, then of course you are not being unreasonable.

Sadly you are discovering that give an inch...take a mile applies and unless you put a stop to this you are setting a precedent each and every time. Point out, politely but firmly that you are already providing a generous discount - that you did nnot have to give in the first place and this will not be an offer repeated in the future.

So she has added an EXTRA week to what was already arranged? If that is the case then I would inform her that the discounts ONLY apply to that initial arrangement - after that FULL fees apply.

Can i ask why you felt you had to offer such a discount? Why make the policy and then not apply it? Business head firmly on.

wellybelly
24-03-2011, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't reduce fees any further. Unfortunatley a good deed or favour in our eyes can be permission for parents to constantly take the mickey. After childminding 3 years down the line, I don't do anymore favours as it always seemed to come back and bite me. Maybe put this one down to experience x

gigglinggoblin
24-03-2011, 08:36 PM
You have been very reasonable indeed. I dont mind charging half sometimes, its quite nice to have some time off now and then! But I would charge full fees for the extra week. It proves that the half fee was just a goodwill gesture (arent you lovely, how lucky they are to have you) and you wont be doing it again (because you are a business not a doormat). Back down this time and it will be expected every time.

~Chelle~
24-03-2011, 10:07 PM
You have said it yourself you are a business. So, that said you are NOT a charity, I presume you are working so that you can support yourself and your family? If so, then of course you are not being unreasonable.

Sadly you are discovering that give an inch...take a mile applies and unless you put a stop to this you are setting a precedent each and every time. Point out, politely but firmly that you are already providing a generous discount - that you did nnot have to give in the first place and this will not be an offer repeated in the future.

So she has added an EXTRA week to what was already arranged? If that is the case then I would inform her that the discounts ONLY apply to that initial arrangement - after that FULL fees apply.

Can i ask why you felt you had to offer such a discount? Why make the policy and then not apply it? Business head firmly on.

:thumbsup: What she said! :D

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 10:34 PM

I agree with Pip

I am the same give an inch and they take a mile ha ha

You do get tougher though so stand your ground

Good luck

Angel xx

ASHG1
25-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Thankyou everyone! I needed that pep talk. Your all right I do need to toughen up and keep my business head firmly on!

caz3007
25-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I would make it clear that the two weeks at half pay was a one off and that any further holidays are as per the contract she signed.

breezy
25-03-2011, 07:09 PM
It's hard to toughen up, but you must its your business and you need to make a living and unfortuneately people will take advantage of your good nature:(

karen1033
29-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't reduce fees any further. Unfortunatley a good deed or favour in our eyes can be permission for parents to constantly take the mickey. After childminding 3 years down the line, I don't do anymore favours as it always seemed to come back and bite me. Maybe put this one down to experience x

Don't they just!! :joker:

I had one parent who told me when she picked up her child on Fri evening that she and hubby were on holiday for the next 2 weeks - then when I added !/2 fees to her bill she sent hubby along to query it! I was able to show him where his wife had signed the contract and she later apologised for not reading it properly.

Stand your ground xx

venus89
29-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I think most of us have made a mistake at the start trying to be nice and found it's come back to haunt us. I suppose it's part of us learning to draw the line and learning to be a business. The trouble seems to be that we're all lovely people :littleangel: and the parents don't see us as a business with business expenses, they see the lovely person. So the only way to get them to treat you like a business is to be businesslike and I still find that the hardest part of the job, especially when money is concerned.

Stand your ground - you've been more than fair :)

Marshmallow
29-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi everyone,
I haven't been childminding for long so still trying to get to grip with most things! I have 1 mindee at the moment and the parent informed me a week ago that she has to go away on a course next month for a two weeks so I agreed with her that I would chg half fees for these two weeks to help her out. Her ex is going to look after mindee whilst she is away. I stated in the contract that she would pay full fees for any leave she takes so in my eyes I'm doing her a favour!lol However the next day she tells me she's booked another week off so im only going to have mindee for one week and one weekend which is fair enough but she keeps hinting for me to reduce fees further! I can see her point of view but it is a business! Am I doing the right thing by not reducing fees further? Would you?:huh:

:blush: Simple, NO :panic: We still have to live !

Allie
30-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Stick to whatever you decided on your contracts and never waiver when they try and get something for nothing

That way you wont have doormat written on your forehead and the parents wont walk all over you

Allie

venus89
30-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I think it's ok to waver at times but just make it clear at the time it's a once off because of x or y. I've had parents make concessions for me with my course and I return the favour by making concessions with days and times where it's workable for me to do so.

bexter
13-04-2011, 09:13 PM
You're right - it's a business - wouldn never happen in a nursery!

madwoman
15-04-2011, 01:22 PM
This parent needs to be grateful that you have given her the 2 weeks at reduced rate, if she were taking her child anywhere else this would not happen, i.e a nursery, stick to your guns hun and then maybe she will realise that it was just a one off.

Good luck :D

miffy
15-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Thankyou everyone! I needed that pep talk. Your all right I do need to toughen up and keep my business head firmly on!

Hope you got it sorted!

Some parents can be very cheeky and do their best to make you feel guilty about charging them but at the end of the day it's your livelihood so you need to be firm.

Miffy xx