PDA

View Full Version : Mindee hours

Cazz
23-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry, me again! I know this is going to be impossible to really answer but I was just wondering what are typical sort of hours that you have for the age groups you mind? I.e how many hours a week would you typically have a 2 year old for and how many hours do you typically work minding before and after school? I realise it will vary greatly and from area to area. I am starting out and have been told there is a big demand for childminders in my town but I am trying to re-assure myself that I stand a chance of making a living from this job before I decide to definetly not return from maternity leave to my part-time job with a guaranteed salary. I want to do this but my children need to be fed and clothed and bills need to be paid!

Also, if you have a child that you take to and collect from Nursery I assume that you don't charge anything for the time that he/she is at Nursery?

Carole x

sarah707
23-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I have

M aged 1 - 3 full days a week
W aged 3 - 1.5 full days a week
M aged 4 - 5 half days a week

Then 4 part timers before and after school... some before, some after none in the holidays.

It's taken me 14 years to build up to this and I am very aware that if they all change their minds I could be empty by the summer.

Never count your chickens and always keep a nest egg in the bank. :D

Jinx
23-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I have 1 14mth old 45 hours a week and 1 10mth old 12/16 hours a week.
Also had a 22mth old who did 6 hours/1 day a week, but he has just left.

These hours/children suit me down to the ground, but I do worry sometimes that if I lost my full timer, my income would drastically drop.

Best of luck

Jinx x

Twinkles
23-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I have

D age 9m 5 full days

C age 2yr 3 full days

S age 22m 2 full days

M age 3 1 full day 3 afternoons

T age 18m 2 mornings

+ three after school

I think it depends where you are I've never had so much work and I'm turning people away every week. But I know in some areas it's pretty quiet.

I earn more minding than I could in a shop or office.

Alibali
23-04-2008, 06:08 PM
M -nearly 3 yrs-50 hours
E- 2 years 40 hours
D -20 months-48 hours

Had them all for 2 years and was comfortable, now Ds mum pregnant, Ms mum dropping to 2 days and Es parents wanting to drop to term time only and pay nothing during holidays!!!

As for when M starts nursery, fees will be the same as I will be taking and collecting and will be 'on call' while he is at nursery.

Ali xx

SimplyLucy
23-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Also, if you have a child that you take to and collect from Nursery I assume that you don't charge anything for the time that he/she is at Nursery?

Carole x

If I drop off and collect the child from pre-school/nursery then I charge right though.

I have a mindee starting school in September, mornings only to start with. He'll be with me from 6.30am-9am then at school, until 12pm then back with me until 3.30pm...........I'll be charging 5 days @ 9 hours a day = 45 hours a week :clapping:

karenjoy
23-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Ah so you can charge whilst they are at nursery mornings or afternoons?

Twinkles
23-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Ah so you can charge whilst they are at nursery mornings or afternoons?

Yes it's quite common practise to do this. This is easier if they will want the place during nursery hols though.

Polly2
23-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I only charge while they are at nursery if I am responsible

ie if I drop off and pick up after.

lilliuspillius
23-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I was wondering about charges for pre-school. Im new to childminding this last 12 months, and didnt charge for the little girl who i take/collect from preschool, but I soon changed this after speakin gto other childminders and spoke to the mum who fully understood. I now charge throughout pre school session.

berkschick
23-04-2008, 06:53 PM
It varies depending on what hours the parent wants you.

I have

Mindee 1 - 3 full days a week
Mindee 2 - 2 full days a week
Mindee 3 - 1.5 hours a day before school
Mindee 4,5,6 & 7 - 1 day a week
Mindee 8 - 1 full day a week increasing to 2 days in September when Mindee 2 leaves
Mindee 9 - 1 full day a week increasing to 2 days in September when Mindee 2 leaves
Mindee 10 - adhoc during school holidays

nannan
23-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Hiya,
I charge for the time the child is in nursery as I'm normally the one to take and pick the child up. my minded children are full time but only school time, so I end up with all the holidays free. as Sarah said, you need to build up a nest egg in case for any reason you end up not having any children to mind for a couple of weeks or so

Tickles
23-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi, i have the following:

18mth = 26 hrs per week
22mth = 18 hrs per wk
3.5 yrs = 26hrs per wk
5yr = 11hrs per wk [ 26hrs school hols]

& i have 2 starting in summer

12mth = 27 hrs per wk
8yr = 3hrs per week

I still have space on top of that, but enjoy spending time with my 2 own kids on a tuesday & weds when they get home from school as my last mindee goes at 3pm on these days.

If i am taking a child to nursery & collecting, i still charge whilst they are their as i am on call. if i just collect or drop off, i dont but the parent is aware that the child is their responsability until the time that i am paid for etc

That is the norm in my area

Cazz
23-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone, you have re-assured me as you all seem to be getting plenty of work. It will be longer hours for me but a much more enjoyable job and the added bonus of being able to spend working hours with my gorgeous baby as well! Plus on a lovely hot day I won't be stuck in a stuffy office! :clapping:

Pudding Girl
23-04-2008, 09:29 PM
C 23 mths - 27hrs a week
F 23 mths - 27hrs a week

Thats all for now! very aware if both leave ( twins) would have no-one!!! Had no enqs forabout a month now but have an advert going in paper this weekend, so fingers crossed :)

miffy
23-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Just wanted to say good luck Cazz

miffy xx

Cazz
23-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Miffy. I'm so pleased that I stumbled across this site. I don't feel quite so overwhelmed now cos I know I can come on here anytime and ask for help and you will all know the answers! :)

Tatia
24-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Mindee 1 (8) - before and after school, no hols
Mindee 2 (9) - after school, no hols
Mindee 3 (5) - before and after school, full time in hols
Mindee 4 (6) - before and after school but only as and when (if I have space)
Mindee 5 (7) - before and after school, every third Saturday and full time in hols
Mindee 6(13) - before and after school, every third Saturday and full time in hols
Mindee 7 (nearly 3) - full time including hols (but gone by after-school run which is handy)
Mindee 8 (1) - every morning til 12, no hols
Mindee 9 (7) - 3 days after school, no hols
Mindee 10 (11) - full time hols only
Mindee 11 (6) - 2 or 3 full days, hols only)
Mindee 12 (9) - 2 or 3 full days, hols only)

crazybones
24-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Mindee 1 (8) - before and after school, no hols
Mindee 2 (9) - after school, no hols
Mindee 3 (5) - before and after school, full time in hols
Mindee 4 (6) - before and after school but only as and when (if I have space)
Mindee 5 (7) - before and after school, every third Saturday and full time in hols
Mindee 6(13) - before and after school, every third Saturday and full time in hols
Mindee 7 (nearly 3) - full time including hols (but gone by after-school run which is handy)
Mindee 8 (1) - every morning til 12, no hols
Mindee 9 (7) - 3 days after school, no hols
Mindee 10 (11) - full time hols only
Mindee 11 (6) - 2 or 3 full days, hols only)
Mindee 12 (9) - 2 or 3 full days, hols only)

OMG thats given me a headache:laughing:

Cazz
24-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Tatia,

Do you charge extra for Saturdays? I assume you have to tell Ofsted that you want to register for Saturdays as well? I don't think I would as a matter of course as I would like weekends with my own children (and hubby only has every other weekend off) but I am thinking it may be worth registering so that you could do occasional/emergency childminding.

Carole x

Tatia
24-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't think so, Cazz. If you are registered, you can work when yu want except for overnight care. I never intended to mind on Saturdays but I was working every Saturday at local bakery and hated it so when I got the call for these 2 children (who are scrum-dummily delish and easy to look after), I gladly traded my every Saturday of hard work at bakery for every third Saturday of easy work and way more money. Plus, on nice mornings, we visit the bakery for a treat on way to beach instead of me being the one slogging away behind the counter, handing over treats to every other lucky dog on their way to have some fun!:D

Yes I charge more for that day, though. And I wouldn't take on anyone else on week ends, either.

Tatia
24-04-2008, 10:49 AM
But I would tell OFSTED if you are willing to do week ends cos they like to see you offering flexibility and it will make you look good.:)

Rach30
24-04-2008, 10:55 AM
WEEKENDS !!!! :panic: :panic: You must be saints lol:laughing: :thumbsup:

Cazz
25-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks Tatia. I suppose one in 3 Saturday's like you do wouldn't be too imposing on family life. Definitely worth thinking about - especially if it would get me brownie points with Ofsted!

Carole x

Little Pumpkins
28-04-2008, 06:45 PM
18mths - 3 full days
18mths - 4 afternoons
5 yr - 2 afternoon
9 yr - 3 afternoons
3 yr - 5 days
3 yr - weekends
2 yr - weekends

plus its all about to change lol

Cazz
29-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Do you work every weekend then Little Pumpkin? I don't think I would want to do every weekend but then I suppose it depends on how much work I can get during the week - I don't think dh would be happy as he only has every other weekend off!

Fee
29-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Mindee 1, thurs & fri 8am to 6pm
Mindee 2, mon to fri 11am to 4pm also have mindee 2 and his brother on a sat 11.30 am to 2.15pm
Mindee 4 school drop off and pick up 8.15am to 9.00am then 3.15 to 5.30pm
tues, weds and thurs.
all partimers works out well
Fe :)

ChocolateChip
03-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Cazz, everyone does things their own way, especially when new and trying to drum up business, but I think most people charge extra for weekends to make it worth the while, might make it an option to consider?
Good luck with everything! :)