PDA

View Full Version : anyone had bowel surgery?

francinejayne
23-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I was taken into A&E just over 2 weeks ago, after 2 days they removed my gall bladder by keyhole. I was sent home the next day.

When I got home I went rapidly downhill and had to call an ambulance. I ended up having open surgery and having part of my small and large bowel removed due to having a 'bowel intersection', which is where the small bowel had gone inside the large bowel, become twisted and formed a (very painful) blockage.

The open surgery was 10 days ago. I am home again but feeling really low.

I am suffering terrible stomach cramps and diorreah, my scar is very painful, I am reliant on everyone else for virtually everything, I won't be working again until June, I can't even look after my own little boy (aged 2) as I am unable to do anything for him. :(

I was just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar and could offer any advice as to when I might be feeling better again?

Sorry for being a moaner, I'm just a bit sad.

Katiekoo
23-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I haven't had anything similar but wanted to say how dreadful that sounds and to wish you well soon. :group hug: :group hug: :group hug:

fionamal
23-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Hiya,

My mum had this operation a couple of years ago now and it did take her a few weeks to get back to being mobile. She was in pain for about 2 weeks after the op and then gradualy it just dissapeared and she became more mobile.

Have they gave you any painkillers to help with the pain?

Hope you get better really soon

Polly2
23-03-2011, 04:41 PM
You poor thing that must be awful :( especially when you have a little one of your own to take care of. Sending hugs :group hug: :group hug:

francinejayne
23-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Hiya,

My mum had this operation a couple of years ago now and it did take her a few weeks to get back to being mobile. She was in pain for about 2 weeks after the op and then gradualy it just dissapeared and she became more mobile.

Have they gave you any painkillers to help with the pain?

Hope you get better really soon

Thanks Fiona, yes I've got painkillers but they are just taking the edge off the pain rather than taking it away. The thing that is bothering me more than anything are the cramps and having to go to the toilet up to 20 times a day - when did this pass for your mum?

Thanks!

fionamal
23-03-2011, 04:52 PM
My mum was kept in hospital for about 10 days after the op until she could go to the toilet normally and then when she got out she was still going frequently but maybe only 3 or 4 times a day for the next couple of days and then once a day after that

francinejayne
23-03-2011, 04:59 PM
My mum was kept in hospital for about 10 days after the op until she could go to the toilet normally and then when she got out she was still going frequently but maybe only 3 or 4 times a day for the next couple of days and then once a day after that

Thanks. The district nurse is coming to see me tomorrow so I'll talk it over with her, I just don't know if it is normal or not?

Good to know your mum recovered well, hopefully I will too?!

xx

BuggsieMoo
23-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Oh hun I feel for you! I suffer from a bowel condition that is made worse by stress and have been in and out of hospital for it. Hope you start to feel better soon.
Big hugs xxx
Lisa

LOOPYLISA
23-03-2011, 05:28 PM
You poor thing :(

I hope you are feeling better soon x

sarah707
23-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Sending hugs xx

Winnie
23-03-2011, 07:14 PM
oh you poor thing :( remember it is early days and things are bound to settle down ((((hugs)))

Alibali
23-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry you've been unwell, get well soon xxx

angeldelight
23-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I was taken into A&E just over 2 weeks ago, after 2 days they removed my gall bladder by keyhole. I was sent home the next day.

When I got home I went rapidly downhill and had to call an ambulance. I ended up having open surgery and having part of my small and large bowel removed due to having a 'bowel intersection', which is where the small bowel had gone inside the large bowel, become twisted and formed a (very painful) blockage.

The open surgery was 10 days ago. I am home again but feeling really low.

I am suffering terrible stomach cramps and diorreah, my scar is very painful, I am reliant on everyone else for virtually everything, I won't be working again until June, I can't even look after my own little boy (aged 2) as I am unable to do anything for him. :(

I was just wondering if anyone else has had anything similar and could offer any advice as to when I might be feeling better again?

Sorry for being a moaner, I'm just a bit sad.

First of all you are not a moaner and I am not surpised that you are feeling so sad

I do not know a lot about it but I do know it takes a while to get better - so be positive and stay strong its early days yet

Sit and give your little one lots of hugs and read stories - he will love that and its the little things that keep you close and that will make you both happy

I think you are very brave - you have gone through an awful lot

Sending you heaps of hugs and hope you get better soon

Take care

Angel xx

breezy
23-03-2011, 08:25 PM
love and hugs, talk to the nurse, see whats to be expected x

The Juggler
24-03-2011, 03:31 PM
oh hon, don't be daft - you are not moaning you sound like you are in loads of pain - I'd be worried to. I don't know what's normal or not only that I've had c-section and gynae surgery twice and for a few days it was very painful then after that not so bad.

I have no experience of bowel surgery but if it's not mangaed with pain relief they gave you then I think I would ring back to the ward and ask to speak to somoeone or speak to your GP hon .