PDA

View Full Version : ncma renewal

coffee-time
22-03-2011, 09:33 PM
well my first renewal has come up and i was quite surprised how expensive it is! to be honest im a bit confused, do i have to have membership or can i just have the liability insurance? what do i get with the membership and what is included with the liability ins. i know i can look on the website but you lot make more sense to me!!

sarah707
22-03-2011, 09:45 PM
You cannot buy your insurance from NCMA without being a member of NCMA first...

so it's pay the whole amount or use Morton Michel for your insurance :D

wellybelly
22-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I can recommend Mortin Michel, much cheaper and I've heard the legal support is better than the NCMA.

rickysmiths
22-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't think you can compare NCMA and MM. It is a bit like comparing Apples and Pears! You may find it interesting to read this thread:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=78186&highlight=NCMA+v+MM

coffee-time
22-03-2011, 10:40 PM
thank you rickysmiths, i can see you are a big fan of ncma! its only the cost thats putting me off, i havent had any dealings with them 'yet' so probably will stick with them for now! got it for free last year so the price was a bit of a shock.

rickysmiths
22-03-2011, 10:49 PM
thank you rickysmiths, i can see you are a big fan of ncma! its only the cost thats putting me off, i havent had any dealings with them 'yet' so probably will stick with them for now! got it for free last year so the price was a bit of a shock.

If you look in your 'Who Minds' magazine you will find a list of the local Forums. They meet three times a year and indeed will all be holding meetings in May. It might be a good idea to try and go to your area one, well sometimes because of the large areas they can be a bit of a way. They are a whole day with workshops and would give you a feel of what NCMA is about for all childminders.

Too be honest I think you have to regard it like the membership to a Professional body that represents your profession. I originally trained as a Home Economist and in the early eighties membership to the Association of Home Economists was over £100 and my starting salary was £4,500pa that was in London, a lot of my friends started on as little as £2000pa, so membership of NCMA is actually relatively cheap.