PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journals - Help Please

helengreen13
21-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I am trying to update and jazz up my Learning Journals.

Do you think is is best to (a) split the journals into sections of the eyfs and put each obs, picture, comment under its relevant section or (b) just updating the journal weekly and mix all the areas up as i go along. I was thinking of using different colour paper for each area of the eyfs. I think the content of the journals are ok but need to Jazz them up and make them look more professional. Have bought new files for each mindee but desperately need ideas to make them stand out and also easy to follow (not the most artistic). I have also asked my mindees nursery to fill in some information for me that I prepared on an A4 sheet as advised at my recent Ofsted Inspection but they seem less than happy to do this and share information ... how can I show that I want to share information and ideas on my mindees if the Nursery does not ...

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Helen

Pipsqueak
21-03-2011, 10:52 AM
this is the way I do my LJ's

I do an obs and it gets slotted on top of the last one.... simples

It could be on a template, scrap of paper or even on a post it/sticky label stuck onto a piece of paper, sometimes with a photo, sometimes not.
Its not necessarily a pretty document but its a working document that builds into a true record of the childs time with me.

I stick in pieces of artwork the child wants me to (normally though its on the wall or proudly taken home) or photos the child has actually taken etc.

sarah707
21-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I use coloured paper sometimes and download art from Google images to go on some of the pre-printed pages.

I file everything in date order so you can see a clear progression of activities.

If you do it this way make sure you are keeping track of the all areas of learning and development and not missing any.

Hth :D

Mouse
21-03-2011, 12:14 PM
I do mine in date order so you can see the progress being made. Also, most obs cover several areas of learning, so I'd struggle to decide where to put it if I went by EYFS areas.

Chimps Childminding
21-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Mine are done in date order, newest at the front! I use coloured paper sometimes just to stick photos on etc. but wouldn't use coloured paper for each area as activities/obs usually cover more than one area, plus I couldn't be bothered having to keep remembering to put the different coloured paper in the printer :blush: My printer is upstairs and I couldn't be running up and down with different bits of paper all time :panic:

helengreen13
21-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks, have spent all day doing learning journals and dont seem to have much at the end of it, but they are now ordered, labelled and have new obs sheets and planning sheets inserts. Also ordered some stickers from NCMA which show the 6 areas of the EYFS which should help me see if missing any. Absolutely love this forum, think it may be becoming a bit obsessive.

Helen:clapping:

Playmate
21-03-2011, 05:13 PM
We do ours in date order, mainly photos and post its and some longer obs. occaisionally I put pieces of their work, but alot of the time its photos of that too. We use NCMA stickers for the photo's.

guest3
21-03-2011, 10:30 PM
What do you do with the coloured stickers? Do you put a sticker with an observation and then write which area this relates to e.g a sticker for PSED then write Dispositions & aspects, develop an understanding & awareness of themselves?

guest3
28-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Anyone??:panic: