PDA

View Full Version : Licence for children to watch dvd's

Tazmin68
19-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi I know that I have had to register for data protection which has cost £35 for this year as i use a camera to take photo evidence to go into journals:panic: but I have just been told that if any minded child watched a dvd in my house then I also need a licence for that but I cannot find any details on where to go. I did not see it in who minde it was in there but the dog chewed it up about 2 weeks after I recieved it can anyone help with this info.

Dragonfly
19-03-2011, 04:29 PM
You only need a licence if you use the photos on the computer I believe.Have never heard of needing a licence for children to watch a dvd in your home dont think i will be getting one.

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I think the poster means the law that says you are not permitted to show a dvd to an audience unless you have a special licence. It could be argued that as we are paid for childminding that we are charging them to watch the film. Not sure of the legalities with regard to childminding though...

Tazmin68
19-03-2011, 04:44 PM
The data protection one I had to apply for it was mentioned who minds as even if it does not go on computer the phone or camera is a digital one we called them and they confirmed this. I am just worried about the dvd one as i have an 8 year old and if he invites another child to watch a dvd it means that i will need to get this one sorted!! I just don't know where to go for info.

I have found it. Schools apply for the same sort of licence each year. Someone did say that it was around £30 a year and that Ofsted had asked if she had the licence incase of bad weather so the older children could watch something if they wanted to.
www.themplc.co.uk

Pipsqueak
19-03-2011, 04:52 PM
simples... just don't show a dvd while minded kids are there **ahem**:rolleyes:

Dragonfly
19-03-2011, 05:28 PM
THATS WHAT i WAS GOING TO SAY PIPSQUEAK:laughing:

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Blooming hack! Ofsted will be checking we have TV licences next!

Can honestly say I've never shown the munchkins a DVD or video here so flatly refuse to pay out for one of those licences.

Dragonfly
19-03-2011, 05:36 PM
OFSTED HAVE NEVER EVER SAID ANYTHING TO ME ABOUT NEEDING A LICENCE SO HEY HO.

Hebs
19-03-2011, 05:38 PM
we dont watch dvd's :thumbsup:

i record them on sky+ then watch them on rainy days :laughing: :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
19-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I think this was on here a while a go, and the general opinion was that it applied to schools etc, not childminders, though I am sure someone with more knowledge than me (not difficult) will be along to put you straight! :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 05:44 PM
we dont watch dvd's :thumbsup:

i record them on sky+ then watch them on rainy days :laughing: :laughing:

me too, lol! :laughing:

Monkey26
19-03-2011, 06:06 PM
When i had an afterschool club i had to get an umbrella license (i think thats what it was called!) because the club was hold on non-domestic premises.

When i spoke to the people who i took out the policy with they said that childminders are a grey area but because we provide care from home they don't enforce it.

This was nearly 3 years ago though, i had my Ofsted inspection at the beginning of the month, at quiet time a little girl was watching a Mr. Tumble DVD-the inspector didn't say anything :D

HTH xx

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 06:29 PM
This was nearly 3 years ago though, i had my Ofsted inspection at the beginning of the month, at quiet time a little girl was watching a Mr. Tumble DVD-the inspector didn't say anything :D

HTH xx

OOh! I lied, we have mr tumble dvds :blush: :blush:

westbrom44
19-03-2011, 06:29 PM
I enquired about this but was told it doesnt apply to childminders by my local early years team.

Cammie Doodle
19-03-2011, 07:29 PM
I asked this Q at the begining of March and also about the license to play music to the children:panic: I think it was Ripeberry who said it does not apply to us . I will see if I can find it

rickysmiths
19-03-2011, 08:09 PM
It doesn't apply as long as you only show Educational material linked to the Ciriculum you follow, this is why schools don't need a licience.

So how hard is it to link practically everything to EYFS! :laughing: :laughing:

Penny1959
20-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I asked this Q at the begining of March and also about the license to play music to the children:panic: I think it was Ripeberry who said it does not apply to us . I will see if I can find it

I have asked some ex colleagues at the LA since June posted this - and they say is a grey area - and to wait for clarification.

It is grey area because
a) we are on domestic premises
b) we watch educational stuff
c) the mindee might have brought the DVD from home and be the only one watching it.

If it does become clearer and we do need one I just won't use DVD's

By the way as far as I know same grey area about playing CD's

Ofsted did not asked about this at my inspection - and as it is not a requirement of EYFS so they should not be asking.

Penny :)

Tazmin68
24-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I have had a reply and it has been advertised as all childcare settings but they forgot that childminders are a domestic premises and it does not apply to us. The data protection one is a must and it is being checked by OFSTED and the highest you can get with them if you do not register with data protection is Satifactory. I was advised of this at a meeting this week.

Debster
26-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I have had a reply and it has been advertised as all childcare settings but they forgot that childminders are a domestic premises and it does not apply to us. The data protection one is a must and it is being checked by OFSTED and the highest you can get with them if you do not register with data protection is Satifactory. I was advised of this at a meeting this week.

What what what:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: I have no idea whats going on never heard of this before no one has ever mentioned this to me before. what is this data protection thingy can someone enlighten me:blush:

rickysmiths
26-03-2011, 07:43 PM
What what what:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: I have no idea whats going on never heard of this before no one has ever mentioned this to me before. what is this data protection thingy can someone enlighten me:blush:

You need to Register with the Information Commissioner's Office. it costs £35 per year.

https://www.ico.gov.uk/onlinenotification/?page=7.html

TheBTeam
26-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Well I know of childminders receiving higher, and she never asked me although i do have a note of it which she may have seen.

Debster
27-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Ok so I have looked into this am I right in thinking you only need to have this licence if you store personal information or photos on your laptop.
So as I have a pogo and do not store photos on my laptop and save all the mindees obs to a disc which is kept on file with their learning journal
I have no personal child's information on my laptop of photos kept on my camera I do not need one
Mrs O told me on my visit that I should not have any photos or child's information stored on my laptop anyway!!
The only info I have stored on my laptop are invoices and accounts which are needed to run a business and as I understand do not need to be covered by this licence.
Or do I still need one for info stored on disc see info found on google
If, in your work as a childminder, you store personal details about other people on your computer or any digital format (including PDAs and photos on digital cameras), you will need to notify the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) that you are a "data controller" for data protection purposes. The ICO is the UK's independent public body set up to promote access to official information and protect personal information.

Since 2008, as part of the Early Years Foundation Stage, childminders in England have been expected to keep more detailed records about individual children’s development and it is likely that if you keep these on a computer, you will need to register as a Data Controller with the ICO. If you are in any doubt about whether you will need to register, you can call the ICO on 01625 545 740 for clarification.

NCA have consulted with NCMA who have confirmed with the ICO that childminders’ data protection responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 1998 are as follows:

If you keep all your childminding records on paper, you do not need to notify the ICO.
If you keep information about the names, ages and addresses of children and
their parents, details of payments, or any data for staff administration on a
computer, purely for accounts and records purposes, you are also exempt
from notification.
But if you keep more extensive records, or information of a more sensitive
nature, for example about children's health, behaviour or development, on a
computer then you need to contact the ICO to find out if you need to notify.
Also, if you are going to be taking digital photographs of the children in your
care, you will be expected to register with the ICO.
Does most of you have this licence ?

Tazmin68
27-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but i use a pogo printer and the bottom line is that it is a digital image so you will have to pay the £35 and Ofsted are checking and if you do not have the licence you are breaking the law and will be graded satisfactory and the highes upon inspection we have been warned of this by our early years team

Debster
27-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I feel it unfair to grade minders satisfactory for not having this licence I don't see it anywhere in the legal requirements laid out by Ofsted Is it new? My inspector never pulled me up on it and I dont have one and my friend got outstanding last week and she never had one either.
If I had not joined this forum I would not have got one as its the first I have heard of it why are we not informed by the powers that be:angry:
I had my local early years coordinator come 3 weeks ago and she went through all my paperwork and never mentioned this.