PDA

View Full Version : Remember when you could ..........

Pauline
18-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I will start if off .....:)

Remember when you could leave your baby outside a shop in it's pram and not worry that it would be hurt or kidnapped

Alibali
18-03-2011, 06:52 PM
as a child go out to play in the morning and come home only when you were hungry.......and no-one worried about where you were.

Joannechildmind
18-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Remember when i was young and could get a big bag of sweeties for 25p, can bearly buy any sweets for 25p now

FussyElmo
18-03-2011, 06:56 PM
when you could share a drink and people didnt think you would die of germs.

FussyElmo
18-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Remember when i was young and could get a big bag of sweeties for 25p, can bearly buy any sweets for 25p now

I remember a 10p mixture lasting forever so I must be older :laughing:

keeks
18-03-2011, 07:01 PM
...could play with your friends when you felt like it, without it being arranged two weeks in advance by your parents!!! ;)

xx

Roseolivia
18-03-2011, 07:02 PM
go halloweening around the neighbours and not worry about 'weirdos'

play kirby on the street without cars being in the way

Pipsqueak
18-03-2011, 07:02 PM
there was half pennies

Pipsqueak
18-03-2011, 07:04 PM
actually get real proper 'customer service' in a shop, on the phone (not automated machines), you were actually valued by staff happy to serve you

sweets
18-03-2011, 07:07 PM
you could buy black jacks, flying suacers and fruit salads for 1p each.

you could look after and have fun with the children you look after without doing loads of pointless paperwork afterwards and analising everything they do!

~Chelle~
18-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Remember when petrol was 47p a litre!

gegele
18-03-2011, 07:15 PM
when playing outside was normal

when children would entertain themselves for hours with a few stick and a pebble LOL

Blaze
18-03-2011, 07:17 PM
When you could go to bed & stay asleep until it was time to get up in the morning (instead of being disturbed by one or more children - not to mention a frisky hubby)!:rolleyes:

cherry
18-03-2011, 07:18 PM
when you could use a long skipping rope across the road and not be worried about the traffic :)

Gizmo
18-03-2011, 07:19 PM
when you couldnt wait to finish work and go out clubbing on a Friday night .................now I cant wait to finish work and put my pj's on :laughing: :laughing:

Blaze
18-03-2011, 07:21 PM
when you couldnt wait to finish work and go out clubbing on a Friday night .................now I cant wait to finish work and put my pj's on :laughing: :laughing:

Oh yes! Those were the days - did they really exist?!:laughing:

caz3007
18-03-2011, 07:35 PM

I used to stay for afters in my local and roll out of there as the sun was rising and still did a full days work after about 2 hours sleep :laughing:

caz3007
18-03-2011, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=sweets;892415]you could buy black jacks, flying suacers and fruit salads for 1p each.

.QUOTE]

I can remember when you black jacks and fruit salads were 2 for 1p.

Splodge
18-03-2011, 07:36 PM
when you could leave your doors unlocked, even while you were out shopping.
When children played in dirt without parents panicking and scrubbing them clean.
When you didn't have to worry about children watching too much t.v. because there was hardly any on and it finished at 5.35 before the news started. Oh god am i really that old. (well i was only a child at the time) xx :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trouble
18-03-2011, 07:41 PM
when you could buy a penny lolly cola flavour on the way home from school:eek:

onceinabluemoon
18-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Remember when we were generally accepted to have a modicum of common sense and didn't need Mr Elfen Safedee to ensure we didn't hurt ourselves whilst trying to go about our every day lives?

karensmart4
18-03-2011, 07:49 PM
when you usedd to think it was only old people that said ......'do you remember when' :ROFL1:

mushpea
18-03-2011, 07:50 PM
when you could buy half penny sweets

when you had to get up to change the channels cause there was no remote

Trouble
18-03-2011, 07:52 PM
videos came out :eek: :blush:

Sarahbelle
18-03-2011, 07:52 PM
when you could buy a "quarter" of sweets instead of 100g!

Penny1959
18-03-2011, 07:54 PM
When a 6yr old and a 4 yr old could catch the bus and go to the saturday morning pictures - alone

when it was ok for a 8yr old to take her 6 yr old brother and 4 yr old sister to the park and stay all day with a picnic lunch of jam sandwich.

When a bus driver spotting said 8yr old and 6 yr old old on their bikes after dark and miles from home - would stop and help get bikes onto bus and take them home - no fare of course

When going out to play meant wandering over fields, into woods, and streams, getting dirty and wet, climbing trees, building dens using your pocket pen knife that actually did work and no one fussed or worried about any of it.

Oh happy days - my childhood!

Penny :)

LOOPYLISA
18-03-2011, 08:01 PM

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

PixiePetal
18-03-2011, 08:20 PM
when you could stay all day at the beach, till the sun was going down and not need to be covered in suncream.

fish and chips came wrapped in real newspaper

FussyElmo
18-03-2011, 08:25 PM
When going to the cinema was going to the pictures and it cost £1 on a sunday night.

When being told off by someone else meant you were in worse trouble when you got in (said dh).

Blaze
18-03-2011, 08:27 PM
When going to the cinema was going to the pictures and it cost £1 on a sunday night.

When being told off by someone else meant you were in worse trouble when you got in (said dh).

...Remember when you could get told off by someone else! (& yes it did mean more trouble when you got home)!:thumbsup:

glitzygal
18-03-2011, 08:27 PM
WHEN the art of CONVERSATION was done FACE TO FACE. not texting

WHEN we used to call round for someone to play with ALL day out and about.

WHEN you used to take the cronor bottles back to the shop and get 5p

WHEN you had to stand and talk on the phone in one place in your house and you had all your family around listening as the phone didnt move.

WHEN you sat in your bedroom listening to you RECORDS :blush:

WHEN you listened to the radio on a sunday night, and tapped the top 40 onto a cassette and tried NOT to get the DJ voice on it:thumbsup:

WHEN you got what your parents bought and didnt complaine they werent the trendiest trainers, shoes, clothes.(and wore them):blush:

WHEN the spectrum computer your friends had was the most interesting bit of fun to see. (i didnt have one:( )

such a shame we all had to grow up.......

sweets
18-03-2011, 08:30 PM

WHEN you had to stand and talk on the phone in one place in your house and you had all your family around listening as the phone didnt move.

WHEN you listened to the radio on a sunday night, and tapped the top 40 onto a cassette and tried NOT to get the DJ voice on it:thumbsup:

WHEN you got what your parents bought and didnt complaine they werent the trendiest trainers, shoes, clothes.(and wore them):blush:

WHEN the spectrum computer your friends had was the most interesting bit of fun to see. (i didnt have one:( )

ah i had a spectrum and the zx81 before that! lol.

funemnx
18-03-2011, 08:32 PM
When you used to get your coat on in the middle of winter and walk half a mile to the nearest phonebox to call your boyfriend (and half the time, your boyfriend had no phone either, so you were calling a phonebox in the next village and hoping he'd remembered!) :laughing: :laughing:

Gizmo
18-03-2011, 08:44 PM

We had a spectrum as well and used to hire an Atari from the video shop :laughing:
Love the memories about taping the top 40
Also getting excited about Top of the Pops on a Thursday night :)

Blaze
18-03-2011, 08:45 PM
When you used to get your coat on in the middle of winter and walk half a mile to the nearest phonebox to call your boyfriend (and half the time, your boyfriend had no phone either, so you were calling a phonebox in the next village and hoping he'd remembered!) :laughing: :laughing:

Remember doing this all too often!:laughing:

charleyfarley
18-03-2011, 08:51 PM
When you went out Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday night and still get up for work with only a couple of hours sleep each night. Oh and hardly spend any money when out as you'd sneak a bottle in the club :blush:

Carol xx

Pipsqueak
18-03-2011, 08:54 PM
recording the top 40 from Radio one..... on a cassette player!
trying to stop it BEFORE the DJ waffled all over it

Smash Hits
Jackie Magazines

Joda
18-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Remember when you could ................. fit into size 10 jeans!

angeldelight
18-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Smash Hits
Jackie Magazines

I remember it well ha ha

Angel xx

charleyfarley
18-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I remember wearing hot pants way before Kylie did :laughing:

Carol xx

Pauline
18-03-2011, 08:59 PM
when you could use a long skipping rope across the road and not be worried about the traffic :)

I remember that SO well :thumbsup:

Pauline
18-03-2011, 09:01 PM
when you usedd to think it was only old people that said ......'do you remember when' :ROFL1:

cheeky monkey :laughing::ROFL1:

Chimps Childminding
18-03-2011, 09:07 PM
The threat of being sent to the Headmaster's Office put the fear of god into you - enough to make sure you didn't misbehave again :panic: And as for having the Policeman knock on your door :eek:

Went out to play for the day (coming home to eat if REALLY necessary) and all without a mobile :eek:

Pauline
18-03-2011, 09:14 PM

Smash Hits
Jackie Magazines

Recording the top 40 on reel to reel tape and doing the same :laughing:

Pauline
18-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I remember wearing hot pants way before Kylie did :laughing:

Carol xx

I had hot pants :blush:

Hebs
18-03-2011, 09:21 PM
going to the shop with 1p and getting change!!!

being able to camp out in your back garden at 6yrs old and your parents didnt worry, and left the back door unlocked so you could use the toilet

being able to leave your bike outside the shop/house and it still being there when you got back

playing rounders in the street for hours and not a single car passing

annoying the old man at the bottom of the street just so he would come out and chase you in a fit of rage (oh was that just me and my friends :laughing: )

:thumbsup:

charleyfarley
18-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I had hot pants :blush:

Did your mom make yours? My mom did :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
18-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Carol xx

I had some too and thought I was soooo cool

In the days when I was slim

Angel xx

charleyfarley
18-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I had some too and thought I was soooo cool

In the days when I was slim

Angel xx

I was a bit podgy but I was only about six :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
18-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I was a bit podgy but I was only about six :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

I was about 13 and went to the school disco in them ha ha

Angel xx

Boris
18-03-2011, 09:41 PM
.....the pop man used to come! I used to love it. Limeade, cherryade, dandelion & burdock, cream soda!

angeldelight
18-03-2011, 09:47 PM
.....the pop man used to come! I used to love it. Limeade, cherryade, dandelion & burdock, cream soda!

Those were the days

Angel xx

Pauline
18-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Carol xx

YES! :laughing:

Hebs
18-03-2011, 10:02 PM

we still have a pop man :D

well its our milkman but he delivers pop too :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
18-03-2011, 10:10 PM

4 for £1 I remember that :clapping:

Carol xx

charleyfarley
18-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I remember shopping for my neighbours and them giving me 20p for doing it, a fortune then :clapping: :clapping:

Also taking the pop bottles back to the shop for my Nan and being allowed to keep the money :jump for joy:

Carol xx

FussyElmo
18-03-2011, 10:14 PM

and in glass bottles :)

sweets
18-03-2011, 10:16 PM
i used to love the saspirella flavour from the pop man :clapping:

completly teeth rotting stuff :panic:

Cazz
18-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I remember when I thought I looked so good in my fuschia pink jumpsuit with my tight perm :blush: :blush:

Aah to the memories of taping the Top 40 on a Sunday night! :D

keeks
18-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Aaaahh yes, In Sweden the top 40 was called the tracks list, and also had a DJ you had to try to work around with your tape recorder.

... watching Live Aid and Band Aid? We were camping out in the lounge watching Live Aid at the age of 12 and my brother 16, when my parents were away for the weekend! And I taped it using headphones as a microphone, holding them by the telly speaker and shushing my brother and my friend! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

...buying bags of sweets in the shop and setting up a sweet shop in our street, eating most of the sweets ourselves and losing out on the profit.

We all turned out ok, didn't we? Suddenly I feel sad about the current situation for children and young people. Back home in Sweden it is still pretty "free", but here I find people give you looks if you allow your children a bit of freedom. :(

xx

PixiePetal
18-03-2011, 11:09 PM

Carol xx

did all our mums make hot pants then! mine too :thumbsup: 3 sisters in matching hotpants:laughing:

angeldelight
18-03-2011, 11:11 PM
did all our mums make hot pants then! mine too :thumbsup: 3 sisters in matching hotpants:laughing:

Same here 3 oldest sisters wearing home made hot pants

Must have been cheaper or something in those days or just really easy to make

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

PixiePetal
18-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Same here 3 oldest sisters wearing home made hot pants

Must have been cheaper or something in those days or just really easy to make

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

must have been how many you could get from a yard (not a metre!) of material. Ours were baby needlecord - patterened

Stormy
18-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Eating blackberries, bilberries and gooseberries direct from the bush without washing them :)

Pipsqueak
18-03-2011, 11:30 PM
playing cowboys and indians and cops and robbers
playing in the woods - gets splinters and cuts, building dens, climbing trees

going cherry knocking and running away shrieking with laughter
ringing the operator and asking for Mr Wall, Mrs Wall - ANY WALLS

going carol singing
knocking on doors to do odd jobs

having your mum knit sindy the latest designs

thinking your (older) brothers mates were gorgeous:D (years later and with a grown up head on..... blerugh)

Blaze
18-03-2011, 11:33 PM
leave stuff out for the rag & bone man who came on a proper cart pulled by a horse!:)

Ali56
18-03-2011, 11:43 PM
We used to play knock down ginger round the flats...
Taking all the pop bottles back for the deposit to spend on sweets-we used to do that!
Going to the seaside on our own
Aniseed balls 2-4-1p mmm my fave!
my new walkman for christmas one year, when my dad spent ages at the reel-to-reel making cassetes of music for it
when health and safety hadn't gone mad.....DD just had a fall at school, hurt her shoulder quite badly-but it was an accident-now handstands are completely banned! ridiculous! what next-no running?!! (all the girls are not impressed!)
long bike rides with my sister that took all day
turning the hands back on my watch and declaring it must have stopped when I wasn't home on time!

Pipsqueak
18-03-2011, 11:47 PM
roller skates in quad format - being towed behind some riding a bike furiously - preferably near a hill..... and you wore NO safety gear at all and were probably in shorts!

having a larder

winding your siblings up/back chatting the parents ... and 'being given to cry about' lol

there were only 3 channels on telly

Pipsqueak
18-03-2011, 11:47 PM
being ssshed by your mum because the football pools were being read out by a monotoned bloke

WibbleWobble
19-03-2011, 08:00 AM
i remember when i could

go all the way to a rock festival with no tent or sleeping bag and KNOW i would find a lovely kind bloke who i could share a tent with. Golly that makes me sound like a right :eek: doesnt it?

Its just now when Phil and i go to Download we have now started to stay in hotels cos we hate camping with all those flippin kids!

Also i could wear next to nothing in mid winter and not feel the cold (or was that just because i was "worse for wear"?)

I also love telling young folk that they will, at sometime become old, grey and boring like us. they wont always be trendy and "close to the edge", that they, like us will give up all the legal (and illegal:blush: ) "fun stuff" and the idea of going out on a saturday night when you are "settled" and comfy on your sofa is an idea you dont want.

golly i think i am now a Grumpy Old Woman

mandy xx

maryp0ppins
19-03-2011, 08:20 AM
WHEN you used to be able to nip to the shops for your dad and buy his packet of fags to save him nipping out.

WHEN you used to have to call round for you friend when you played out. (and not txt or ring or bbm or facebook or skype them to see if they were there first)

WHEN only ever going back home when you were starving and your dinner was all crispy in the oven and your mum didn't even mind.

Kimmy050983
19-03-2011, 08:38 AM
when i read all this i really ask myself: "what on earth has happened to this contry???" Why are children not allowed the same (fundamental) things as their parents??? why do they have to rot in front of screens, inside, overweight with far too many toys? When just one generation before them everything seems normal?

Jamie can play with pebbles and a stick for an hour..
He doesn´t watch any TV...
He hasn´t got plastic toys...
He goes outside every single day for hours...
he doesn´t eat sugar...

and yet I get weird looks from everybody i talk to because they think I am depriving him!!! Yet he is probably the most happiest child I see around..!

jelly15
19-03-2011, 08:39 AM
I remeber the excitment of our first colour TV, then a few years later our first remote controller (only two buttons channel and mute), then teletext.

Also my parents sending me to the back door of the local pub to by a flaggan of cider, my sisters and I would get a small glass too :eek:

Pipsqueak
19-03-2011, 08:47 AM
when i read all this i really ask myself: "what on earth has happened to this contry???" Why are children not allowed the same (fundamental) things as their parents??? why do they have to rot in front of screens, inside, overweight with far too many toys? When just one generation before them everything seems normal?

he doesn´t eat sugar...

and yet I get weird looks from everybody i talk to because they think I am depriving him!!! Yet he is probably the most happiest child I see around..!

ditto, my kids are off out for hours playing footie, making their own (legal) entertainment, I have been told (by my sister) that I have 'feral' kids and that I do not take enough care of them.....:rolleyes: well actually my kids can cope in an emergency, are pretty street wise and very savvy, my kids are very fit and healthy, they are adventerous and so on. I think my sister forgets the wonderful childhood we had.

Unlike your son my kids do still play on games consoles and watch tv but it doesn't dominate their lives - they prefer being off out on the bike/skateboard/scooter getting filthy dirty over at the quarry.
They do eat sugar but in moderation.

:D

Kimmy050983
19-03-2011, 08:58 AM
ditto, my kids are off out for hours playing footie, making their own (legal) entertainment, I have been told (by my sister) that I have 'feral' kids and that I do not take enough care of them.....:rolleyes: well actually my kids can cope in an emergency, are pretty street wise and very savvy, my kids are very fit and healthy, they are adventerous and so on. I think my sister forgets the wonderful childhood we had.

Unlike your son my kids do still play on games consoles and watch tv but it doesn't dominate their lives - they prefer being off out on the bike/skateboard/scooter getting filthy dirty over at the quarry.
They do eat sugar but in moderation.

:D

Great to hear! I think your children are probably older than Jamie though. he´s only 2! he will be allowed TV on the weekends when he is older ;) , that´s how we grew up, TV was something to look forward for as family time :)

PixiePetal
19-03-2011, 10:10 AM
roller skates in quad format - being towed behind some riding a bike furiously - preferably near a hill..... and you wore NO safety gear at all and were probably in shorts!

having a larder

winding your siblings up/back chatting the parents ... and 'being given to cry about' lol

there were only 3 channels on telly

are you sure I didn't grow up with you - those roller skates were so basic but we didn't care! I had permanently grazed knees/legs/elbows......

we lived near the sea and spent all day there - winter too if the weather was ok ish, just doing different things. Had a beach hut so had somewhere to warm up baked beans/soup and make toast as we got older :thumbsup:
the prom was great for roller skating and even the sloping 'cliffs' were used for tobogganing (even if we went into the back of a beach hut once :o )

sillysausage
19-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I remember when......
I could do the splits and gymnastic flik-flaks (think that is what you call a run of somersaults). Now my body creaks and cracks at every opportunity.
You could go on a trampoline without thinking 'oh oh better go get the tena lady sorted'.

PixiePetal
19-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I remember when......
I could do the splits and gymnastic flik-flaks (think that is what you call a run of somersaults). Now my body creaks and cracks at every opportunity.
You could go on a trampoline without thinking 'oh oh better go get the tena lady sorted'.

I used to gymnastics too and could still do the splits at over 40 until I did damaged my knee - not by doing the splits. Usually performed at new year after a 'few' drinks to 'warm up'. :laughing:

The Juggler
19-03-2011, 01:06 PM
curly wurlies were as long as your forearm

Alibali
19-03-2011, 01:25 PM
When it was normal for 2 people to be on a bike at a time, one in front and the other getting a 'backie'

Pipsqueak
19-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Great to hear! I think your children are probably older than Jamie though. he´s only 2! he will be allowed TV on the weekends when he is older ;) , that´s how we grew up, TV was something to look forward for as family time :)

yes mine are 13, 10 and 6. I allow my 6 yr old to play out the front IF I am in the front of the house so I can keep an eye/hear and he has very strict rules and boundaries.
If he is with his 13yr old brother I allow him to go round the field behind us - which I can see.

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I remember the roller skates - Warwick Flyers - they were silver metal and red leather bits which fixed over your shoe

I remember:
Spokey dokeys which went click clack as your rode your bike

Going newting at age 10 with the lads and nobody batting an eyelid, certainly no talk about boyfriends going on

doing as you were told by the teacher or risk a detention and then getting another telling off/battering from your parents

teachers having control over the class

parents having control over their kids

as a teenager calling on one of the neighbours and taking their baby for a walk in the sunshine - without having to have a CRB check first!

Tups
19-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I Remember Petrol For 2 shilling and 11 pence, when I first past my driving test, I remember the ice cream cart comming on our street, we could get half a wafer of ice cream, inthe sweet shop they use to hit the slab of sweets with a tiny hammer, O M G, :eek: not thought about that for a long time lol :laughing:

Dragonfly
19-03-2011, 05:26 PM
God this thread is bringing back so many happy memories I want to cry:blush:
such happy times, now I have grown up children who when i say we used to................ they say BACK IN THE OLDEN DAYS!!:eek:

sarah707
19-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I remember the first time I sat at a computer and thought it probably wouldn't catch on! :laughing: :D

Pauline
19-03-2011, 06:04 PM
WHEN you used to be able to nip to the shops for your dad and buy his packet of fags to save him nipping out.

I did that so often! - 20 No.6 - tipped :laughing: (and I don't smoke now so it did me no harm I suppose) :rolleyes:

Pauline
19-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I remember the first time I sat at a computer and thought it probably wouldn't catch on! :laughing: :D

I remember wanting to cry because it was so hard to understand and I hated not knowing how to use it! :laughing:

ajs
19-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I remember when I used to turn on the computer and not go on the forum or facebook

The Juggler
19-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I remember when I used to turn on the computer and not go on the forum or facebook

yeah but how LONG did it take for the computer to come on :laughing: :laughing:

suzyjane73
19-03-2011, 08:44 PM
leave stuff out for the rag & bone man who came on a proper cart pulled by a horse!:)

We still have a rag and bone man with a horse and cart that comes round regularly!! (This is Yorkshire though!)

suzyjane73
19-03-2011, 08:46 PM

he doesn´t eat sugar...

Hear Hear!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Pauline
19-03-2011, 09:30 PM

You mean the BAD old days? :laughing:

ajs
19-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah the days when I had a clean houseg:laughing:

Graham
19-03-2011, 09:55 PM
I remember when we used to buy jubberleys either frozen or liquid.
At the age of 10 I'd go fishing on my bike and stop out all day.
Playing British Bulldogs on the street.
My first pay packet £5 5/-
Trolley Buses
Having groceries delivered by a boy on a bike from the co-op.
Having an orange and a packet of nuts in my stocking at Christmas.

miffy
19-03-2011, 10:05 PM

I used to love those! :thumbsup:

I remember no central heating, waking up to ice on the INSIDE of the window.......brrrrrrrr!

Miffy xx

Pauline
Trolley Buses

Blimey, we are only going back to the olden days dear, not the dark ages :ROFL1:

charleyfarley
I remember being paid in a brown wage packet and not straight into the bank.

And days before hair straighteners :panic:

Carol xx

Pauline
19-03-2011, 10:14 PM

No, straight to your mother as you 'tipped up' :rolleyes:

Hebs
19-03-2011, 10:21 PM

And days before hair straighteners :panic:

Carol xx

my "first wage" was paid to me this way, 50p in a small brown envelope

my dad still has it............ i think (dont speak to him now lol x)

bandlady
19-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Houses without central heating just one coal fire in the lounge, pulling the sofa as close to the fire as possible the whole family being together watching the black and white television no going off to your bedrooms because they were freezing cold.

Ice on the inside of your bedroom window and nylon sheets :eek: :eek:

'Bob a job week' where you knocked on strangers doors and did odd jobs to raise money for brownies/guides

My grandparents being the only people with a telephone in the whole village and having to speak to the operator to put you through to another number

These memories make me sound really old but I really am a very young 50 year old!! I just feel that there have been a lot of new inventions since my childhood.

Denise

The Juggler
19-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Trolley Buses

i still buy jubblies now. they are a firm fave with my kids and mindees on a hot summer day after school:thumbsup: try the smoothie jubblies -mmmm

Kiddleywinks
20-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Kola Kubes and Kopp Kopps
Green £1 notes
Jump rope and double dutch in the middle of the street
Playing 'ballies'(?) on the end house wall (2 balls one at a time with a rhyme)
70's heatwave and the Silver Jubilee street party that lasted for days
Looking out the bedroom window, as the parents had their own Jubilee party on the green
Waiting an hour or more for the games console to load coz it was a tape
Chuckie Egg
Rag and Bone man, Pop van, AND the Veg Van lol
Wagon Wheels took more than 3 or 4 bites to eat
Black and white T.V.'s that finished after the news
Test card
and one of my favourites:
Picking all the best rose petals (someone's prize blooms no doubt :blush: ) over at the allotments to put in a 'Barr' pop bottles, filled with 'corporation pop' (Water) to make perfume

Ah.... them's were the days lol

The Juggler
20-03-2011, 09:21 AM
ah, I loved playing ballies and french skipping:D

Graham
20-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Blimey, we are only going back to the olden days dear, not the dark ages :ROFL1:

Oy missis, watch it. Have a bit of respect for your elders.:p

PixiePetal
20-03-2011, 10:56 AM
going to the phone box with a pocket full of 2ps to phone my friend - then she called me back :laughing: she had the phone box number in her book as my phone number. :D

Also phoning dial-a-disc with 2ps :thumbsup:

rectangular ice cream cones and wrapped mini blocks of ice cream from the van to go in them

TheBTeam
20-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Blimey I remember these and more, going to the shops with a note for my mum to get a pound of carrots and onion mixed for her mince, 20 embassy fags and 2 black jacks for a penny!

The little sixpenses and the big twopenny!

And when you were grateful for what you were given, not expecting the world for nothing!

When you respected your elders (whether they knew more or not), and you visited your grandparents on a sunday afternoon and sat quietly.

I remember getting a coloured tv when i was at senior school and going to the loo in the block on the campsite and carrying back the bowl of hot water to wash up with (cos i remember the time my auntie got lost and still bought the water back but in the hour she was lost the water got cold so was no use, but she hadnt thought to tip it away!!:laughing: )