PDA

View Full Version : Need to include assistant on daily register?

helendee
18-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Has anyone else been told that they need to keep a note of their assistant's hours of work with you?

Ofsted inspector told me that even though my husband lives here with me it is still necessary for me to treat him as a member of staff and to act as if he comes to the house each day, thereby making it necessary for me to record the exact hours that he works alongside me. Does this seem right? xx

sarah707
18-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes that's right! Your assistant should sign in and out if s/he is responsible for children over and above your ratios. :D

Chatterbox Childcare
18-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't record mine anywhere as he is here all week when I am open

My son who is casual here and there has a time sheet

buildingblocks
18-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I have a signing in and out sheet for children/parents who stay/visitors. I then transfer these hours onto an individual register for each child and I have a section on here for when the child is in preschool (frequently forget to sign in and out on sheet) and also if hubby is sole charge of a child for any reason. (we operate on just my numbers as he works full time elsewhere on shifts).

So a register is signed by me and hubby if he has sole care. So on A's every other Wednesday he takes and picks up from school so the register shows he was in sole charge from 08.30 - 08.45 and 11.45 - 12.05 and if her was left in charge of all of them e.g I was at the doctors then the times appear on each child he was in charge of for that time.

But my inspector never commented on the fact he wasn't signing in or out when I was inspected in 2009

helendee
18-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Sarah can I just ask what you mean about if my husband has responsibillity for children over and above my ratios? He always works alongside me and never has lone responsibility for the children, they are always my responsibility so does he still need to sign in and out?
Thank you x

sarah707
18-03-2011, 03:54 PM
It is my understanding that if the children are your responsibility and he is never in sole charge then he does not have to sign in / out.

However it is a grey area and you might find different inspectors have varying views.

Hth :D

helendee
18-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Thank you Sarah

I think that I was unfortunate enough to have a rather mediocre inspector this time round!!!

Have a lovely weekend. xx

karensmart4
18-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I work with a co minder and an assistant, we all sign in and out with exact times.... it shows who was here with what children at any given time... I thought it was either required, if not then its at least good practice. :)

Penny1959
19-03-2011, 05:36 AM
My assistant (daughter)signs in and out of same book as mindees.

There is a section at top of page that she uses - so very clear when she is working - if she has sole charge at any time this is recorded - so if in the future there is a claim against us we can say if child was with both of us or just assistant.

Think it is a good idea to cover yourself and Ofsted can only approve - but as a grey area they could pull you up on it, if you don't record assistants hours.

Penny :)