PDA

View Full Version : planning

Francesca
17-03-2011, 06:44 AM
I wanted to ask if you planned daily activities, or make a rough idea monthly and go with the flow of the children. I have only one pre schooler and she starts one hour before the school run, so its not always easy to plan anything.

Though I dont want to plan everything in minute detail and lots of displays, I do think I need to do more, just not sure what.

I have a chart where the younger ones can choose what they would like to do, a monthly plan for the older ones but dont plan topics and wonder if thats where I should be looking.

I have tried e-mailing my inspector for advice but after 6 months I have given up waiting for a reply.

Many thanks

Francesca

christine e
17-03-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm not a big fan of planning too far in advance but I do work round the seasons and bring topics into play there. So at the moment we are looking for signs of spring as we are out and about (on school run look at the daffodils and how the trees are just starting to turn green), some time this week we are going to put bean seeds in a clear plastic cup with wet paper towel then keep them moist and watch them grow over the next month or so ready for planting out, we may in a few weeks time have a drive out and see if we can see any baby lambs anywhere. I try and think of things that both the little ones and the big ones can be interested in

Cx

Mrs.L.C
17-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Planning was one of our recommendations on our last Ofsted visit. I discussed it with the inspector as I said I find it can be a waste of time and she said we dont need to have written planning in place for every single day.

I asked, would a spider diagram for the month/term be sufficient with activity ideas on it. She said as long as I can show how this linked in with previous observations/next steps and I showed observations from that planning and wrote a small evalution under each activity then it would be enough.

Was a weight of my mind as I have in the past offered the funded places for 3 & 4 yr olds and found the planning very time consuming as they had to be almost lesson plans and half the time we ended up doing something else so that daily plan had gone to waste

hth

Francesca
17-03-2011, 10:15 AM
thank you, that makes more sense :)