PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics!! Really confused

Aimi-jo
15-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi all,
Can anyone help me im having a blonde moment!!! I have to give my son anti-biotics for a toe infections and im supposed to give it to him on a empty stomache or 60mins before food!!
Does this mean he can have a dose on a empty stomache then food after???
He comes out school starving and we are only at home for an hr in the morning before having to leave for school.
Sorry if i have confused anyone else jus dont wanna give the poor boy an upset tummy.
Thanks for reading xx

Pipsqueak
15-03-2011, 02:38 PM
yes in short!

sometimes the way meds needs to be adminstered is not really that practical - especially for young children.

Aimi-jo
15-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I know its quite contradictory (if thats the right word) I think il try make him wait an hr for this does but the morning its jus not practical, I didnt even get a little guidance sheet with it only had the label on the bottle.
Thank you for your reply x :)

caz3007
15-03-2011, 05:35 PM
if you arent sure, how about popping to the pharmacist and asking

Donkey
15-03-2011, 06:26 PM
this is what I had to do for my mindee when she was on 4 hourly anti-biotics on an empty stomach

mum would give a dose first thing in a morning (before 7am) and no food

I would then feed her breakfast at 9am, poor mite would have to skip morning snack so she had anti biotics at 11am and then lunch at 12.

she would wake from her sleep at 2pm to the next dose of antibiotics

then snack at 3, tea at 4.30-5 and then last dose at 6.30 and then milk at 7.30 bed 8pm

so she had them....

7am
11am
2pm
6.30pm

so the only food she missed was her morning snack , its really hard with little ones who need to eat often :(

Aimi-jo
15-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Thank you for advice, I think i have it straight in my head now :)

The Juggler
15-03-2011, 10:49 PM
i've often had this problem especially when kids are at school all day and you still have to fit in 4 doses. Doctors said it's better to have it 4 times a day whenever than to try to completely stick to the 'rules' of administering it. That's the ideal to maximise efficiency of it but they told us not to worry to much.

I think it's more important when meds need to be taken after food (as that usually means it WILL uspet their stomachs if they are empty).:)