PDA

View Full Version : Variations - What are the Chances - DESPERATE

helengreen13
13-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi, had a phone call tonight from a lady who would like me to look after her girl after school until 5.30, two days a week. Unfortunately I have two of my own children in the 5-8 category and look after another boy after school 4 days a week. Been really struggling to get more numbers and my own boy is 8 in August so would only be for 4 months and then would be within my own numbers again. I would really like to take this as it could, in September, lead to more hours and would be able to accomodate this then but, if she goes somewhere else will not move her lo. I was planning on ringing up Ofsted tomorrow and wondered if anyone has any advise on how to pitch this. Do you think I stand a chance at getting a temporarily variation and if so would this be a long process or would it be an immediate decision as have to ring the client back tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks

Helen
x

lma
13-03-2011, 10:28 PM
How many children do you have in the 1-5 category? As if you have less than your 3 quota then its fine to take on another in the 5-8 category as long as your overall numbers for both together doesnt exceed your 6 children allowance.

There are days when I have 2 (0-5) and have 4 (5-8) therefor my overall numbers are fine.

I dont think they're going to increase your numbers in the eyfs as I've never heard of anyone getting a variation for this....plus its new business so they wouldnt grant it on that grounds anyway.

Sorry

Cazz
13-03-2011, 10:42 PM
As already mentioned, it will say on your certificate how many under 8's you can have at anytime. It's normally a total of six including your own children so I would imagine that yours may say no more than 4 under eight? If you already have a school age child, as long as you have no more than 2 under 5's at the same time you should be okay. Hope I've got that right - check your certificate!

If you do need to put a variation request in, unfortunately you won't be able to tell this parent by Tuesday. Ofsted won't decide (or even take details) over the phone - they'll send you a form to complete.

I've just submitted a variation and it took them 3 weeks to agree it and send a new certificate - and that was with me phoning them several times as my parent was desperate as well.

Unfortunately, as already mentioned they're unlikely to grant a variation for you to go over your numbers if it's for a new mindee. (Mine was the baby sister of two children I already mind). You could ask them that over the phone so you know whether to bother with a form.

Hopefully you won't need to put in a variation though if this child falls within your total numbers.

helengreen13
13-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your replies

Still a bit confused ..... sorry

My certificate say
"may care for no more than 3 children under 8 years of these not more than 1 may be in the early years age gound.

When caring for children in the early years age ground who are in full time education, may increase the number in the early years age group by the number of children in full time education, providing the maximum number is not exceeeded.

I have three children of my own = one age 3, one age 5 and one age 7.

So could I have the 2½ year old, the 7 year old and still take on the new girl of 6 as that still give me 3 children under 8 years old. I WAS ALWAYS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT 3 HAD TO BE IN 0 - SCHOOL AGE AND 3 IN 5 - 8 CATEGORY.

Hope this makes sense. Thank you again for any help

Helen
x

Cazz
13-03-2011, 11:06 PM
You can't exceed what is on your certificate for early years children but you can have more in the 5-8's as long as the total number isn't exceeded.

So if you have a 2 year old mindee and a 7 year old mindee then you do have a space for another mindee so you can take the 6 year old on. Obviously this is assuming that the other 2 mindees are always there when you will be caring for the new 6 year old (it's not a total number of mindees, it's a total at any one time, so in your case you can have 3 children under 8 at any one time).

I'm curious though why your certificate says you can only have one child in the early years age group if only 1 of your own children is under 5? It's normally a total of 3 (including your own children) under 5's. Anyway, that's not relevant in this case but I wonder if it's a mistake? Obviously you can earn more money by taking the Early Years Age group so it would be beneficial to be able to take 2 children in this category if you wanted to.

Hope I haven't confused you further but if I've understood it all correctly you can take this child on without having to worry about a variation!

rickysmiths
13-03-2011, 11:10 PM
You can't exceed what is on your certificate for early years children but you can have more in the 5-8's as long as the total number isn't exceeded.

So if you have a 2 year old mindee and a 7 year old mindee then you do have a space for another mindee so you can take the 6 year old on. Obviously this is assuming that the other 2 mindees are always there when you will be caring for the new 6 year old (it's not a total number of mindees, it's a total at any one time, so in your case you can have 3 children under 8 at any one time).

I'm curious though why your certificate says you can only have one child in the early years age group if only 1 of your own children is under 5? It's normally a total of 3 (including your own children) under 5's. Anyway, that's not relevant in this case but I wonder if it's a mistake? Obviously you can earn more money by taking the Early Years Age group so it would be beneficial to be able to take 2 children in this category if you wanted to.

Hope I haven't confused you further but if I've understood it all correctly you can take this child on without having to worry about a variation!

I wonder when the 5yrs old turned 5 and have you notified Ofsted that they have?

Cazz
13-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I wonder when the 5yrs old turned 5 and have you notified Ofsted that they have?

Good point :thumbsup:

If one of your children has turned 5 since you registered you need to inform Ofsted so they can change your certificate and allow you to have 2 under 5's for the reason I mentioned above!

pillows
13-03-2011, 11:19 PM

just wondering for future ref have you informed ofsted of the age of the 2nd child as i was wondering if it states only 1 in the early years age group as i see you been registered since last year when child was prob stil age 4 , in which case it might help for you to get it amended in case you did have the interest in future for more in this age bracket . hope this makes sense:clapping: :clapping:

helengreen13
14-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Hi, thank you for all your replies. I am not sure why it states only 1 in the early years category and going to ring Ofstead tomorrow to find out why. When I started childminding my little girl was 4 but had started school so had to be counted in the 5-8 category. The same is going to happen in September when my youngest will be 4 but starts school and my 7 year old turns 8 in August. Glad I can take this new girl on, it may only be 4 hours a week but its more about getting clients and getting your name out there and building a good reputation.

Helen x x

helengreen13
14-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks to all of you for your advice. Phoned Ofsted and now have a new certificate on its way stating that I can have two in the Early Years. I have also taken on the new girl - getting their, slowly but surley.

Thanks again

Helen ::jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

mufftie
14-03-2011, 10:28 AM
well done :clapping: thats great news

Cazz
14-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks to all of you for your advice. Phoned Ofsted and now have a new certificate on its way stating that I can have two in the Early Years. I have also taken on the new girl - getting their, slowly but surley.

Thanks again

Helen ::jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

That's good news :clapping:

Hope everything goes well with your new mindee :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
14-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Great news :clapping: :clapping:

rickysmiths
14-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Good news :jump for joy: :clapping: :jump for joy: :clapping: