PDA

View Full Version : FOOD EXPENSES - NEW TO THIS - PLEASE HELP!

mummyme
10-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

I don't charge parents anything for food and only have to provide 1 child for lunch and the rest with just snacks but have kept receipts for all food and drink I have provided. Can I just highlight the food items on the receipts that are for mindees and list each receipt on the expenses form under food and drink?

Sorry if i am being thick! :blush:

Annelize
10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm new to all of this too and actually have the same question. I don't have any children yet, but as I have a little one of my own, I am happy to provide meals and snack as I'm doing it for my little one.
How do everyone else deal with this bit when it comes to book keeping. Do you just take a percentage of your food shopping, do you try to buy it as separate as possible? Buying it separate and storing it separate will make it really difficult for me as I do not have allot of room, so wont be able to store it separate from the rest of the food that I buy.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bubble and Squeak Childminding

mummyme
10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Im glad its not just me! :)

julie w
10-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I went to a meeting when I first started minding. Things most probably have changed since then but I was told to work out an average price for a meal and snack and use the same amount every day. eg for my before and after school children I charge £2.50 a day (I mean this is what I put in my expenses, I dont actually ask parents for it) that is £1.25 for breakfast and £1.25 for after school snacks. For full time children I put an amount of £4.25 a day in my accounts book. I was told this was fine as it seems to average out ok and it save breaking every item of food down per child. I hope this makes sense.

MrAnchovy
10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Either of those two methods (average cost per meal x number of meals or proportion of receipts) is fine, whatever you find easiest to do.

Jacko81
11-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I came on here to ask the same question about food. If i decided to go with 'an average food cost per meal per child' (which i would not charge parents for but i would put through my expenses) i would i go about working this out or is there a general average. I provide breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, tea. thanks xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't do average price per meal as food prices are rising so rapidly.

I take my bill, deduct the amount for my own specific household use (wine/clothes etc), minus anything that is 100% childminding (toys stationary etc) and then divide the balance by the number of mindees plus family members, thus giving me a "price per head". I then multiply it out by the number of mindees.

I do it this way each week, takes a few secs and it is as accurate as I can get it.

MrAnchovy
11-03-2011, 11:09 AM
It should be an estimate of what it costs you for the food you provide, there is no generally allowed average.

mama2three
11-03-2011, 12:20 PM
over the first couple of weeks jot down what food / snacks etc you have provided and an approx cost - use this to work out your averages. prices are rising very quickly atm so do check every couple of months that your figures are still fair..

Chell
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I'd be interested to know what amount others have decided to deduct for meals and snacks. This is the first year I've had to worry about it.

buildingblocks
12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I do not work out an average per day although I know lots of people do. I take my shopping bill and highlight what has been bought for the minded children. This goes through my accounts.

I find this is the best way for me. If for any reason I am cooking for me and hubby as well as the children then I half the cost as I usually freeze portions of this meal so it is half for me and hubby an the rest is for mindees (hope that makes sense) but generally if it is bought for the mindees then we are not eating it.

julie w
12-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't do average price per meal as food prices are rising so rapidly.

I take my bill, deduct the amount for my own specific household use (wine/clothes etc), minus anything that is 100% childminding (toys stationary etc) and then divide the balance by the number of mindees plus family members, thus giving me a "price per head". I then multiply it out by the number of mindees.

I do it this way each week, takes a few secs and it is as accurate as I can get it.

Are you sure you shouldn't put wine through, cos I'm sure its compulsory for childminders after a hard days work :D (only joking...honest)

Chatterbox Childcare
12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Are you sure you shouldn't put wine through, cos I'm sure its compulsory for childminders after a hard days work :D (only joking...honest)

Drink wine, I don't have time with accounts to do lol :laughing: