PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise about Holiday Cover

helengreen13
10-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi, I have recently taken on a new lo as the other local childminder terminated her contract as she could not cope with the los behavour. I had long talks with the parents about lo and her behaviuour and said yes as always liked a challenge. Contracts were signed on a full time basis. I normally charge full when lo cant make my setting but if I am on holiday or cant mind no charge. We negotiated hard and lo's parent persuaded me to accept ½ hourly fee for when lo was on holiday or if she could give me a months notice if the grandparents were visiting.

She has come to collect lo today and said she has a list of dates for when lo can attend during the holidays and, obviously, there would be no charge for when not attending during holiday time and now wants a term only contract but to keep the space free for when she needs me in the holidays.

I was a bit shocked and did not say anything as had a few parents here at the time and said we would talk on Monday. As it happens it does suit me to have a term time contract only as have another lo just for the holidays but feel that the goal posts are moving and dont want to feel obliged to have to take her lo if it does not fit in with my plans over the holidays. I feel she is getting the best of both worlds. Does anyone think I am being unreasonable?

Not sure how to word it on Monday as to not affend her, she seems to have a habit of getting me all twisted with my words and I am not the most confident when negotiating.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Helen x

Mouse
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Why not write everything down before Monday so you've got straight in your mind? Write down all the options you're prepared to accept and refer to it if you need to. Don't feel pressured into agreeing to anything. If they confuse thing, say you will have to have a think about it and will get back to them.

I think you are being totally reasonable about what to expect. They can't have it both ways - they can either pay a retainer for the holidays & guarantee the days will be available when they need them, or they can have a term-time only contract, but run the risk that you will not have the space available during the hols. If they chose to have a term-time only contract, make it very clear to them that you have someone else interested in the holiday only care, so it's highly likely that you won't be able to accommodate their requests. Also tell them that they can only book holiday cover (something like) 4 weeks in advance. They probably think that you won't have filled the spaces yet, so they can book them. Tell them you don't take bookings so far in advance.

JOANNE
11-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I agree with mouse- i have 1 child whom i have had since a baby (3 days a week all day) until he started school,( hes nearly 7 now) then it was before and after school and holidays, just recently they have told me that the chances of him coming in the holidays will be hit and miss. I am going to have to tell them that their contract will need to change, i cant hold open a space just on the off chance that they want me when it suits them,that space could be filled by someone who wants holidays only.

The Juggler
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Tell her she can't have it both ways. Either she can have a t-time contract where she pays a 50% retainer for ALL holidays regardless of grandparents AND if she does this then there will be no more 1/2 fees when gparents visit in termtime.

Then if she uses the holiday space on any days she tops up to full fee for those days.

OR

she has completely t-time contract with you AGAIN bye-bye half fees when gparents visit. If she does this you cannot guarantee there will be a holiday space as you need to earn an income and you'll need to find holiday children to replace.

You might want to suggest she uses a local holiday club if her needs in the hols are so ad=hoc.

Good luck. Write it down and don't budge:D