PDA

View Full Version : Are you doing a Montessori qualification?

sarah707
09-03-2011, 06:00 PM
If so then you might find the following information useful...

Children & Young People Now By Janaki Mahadevan / 8 March 2011

The core principles of Montessori and Steiner schools, praised by Michael Gove during his time as shadow education secretary, are under threat from a diploma set to be introduced next January.

The Level 3 diploma for the children and young people's workforce, developed by the Children's Workforce Development Council (CWDC) and originally set to launch last September, will replace existing early years qualifications.
Montessori and Steiner schools provide their own qualifications, which are the equivalent of a minimum Level 4 and 5 diploma respectively. Both have been informed that these qualifications will be invalid once the new diploma comes into force.

Having met with officials from the Department for Education (DfE) and CWDC in January, the organisations are demanding that Education Secretary Gove rethinks the decision.

Barbara Isaacs, academic director at the Montessori St Nicholas charity, said: "We need to have a qualification that is fit for purpose in our schools. We understand that we need to meet the criteria of Ofsted and the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). But in CWDC's review they did not consult us at any stage. Since we had no communication to say that our qualification would be invalid we did not pick up the message straight away."
Both organisations have been told they have to wait until May to hear further news. But Isaacs said future workforce planning and training was in doubt.

She added: "We have demonstrated that we work within the regulations. The challenge to our qualification therefore does not seem to make any sense. Eighty-eight per cent of Montessori settings have been judged as either outstanding or good."

Janni Nicol, early childhood representative at the Steiner Fellowship, said it was vital that the unique principles of Steiner and Montessori are respected. "We take an approach to teacher training at a very high level, involving broad training against very specific requirements, which includes a more holistic way of viewing the child," she said.

A CWDC spokeswoman said that following a meeting with the associations and DfE officials, concerns had been noted. She said: "Discussions are continuing and in the important context of the imminent Tickell review of EYFS, which may have implications across the sector."

jumpinjen
09-03-2011, 06:33 PM
HI Sarah, hadn't heard this!

I can safely say that my level4/5 Montessori diploma has been 'rock hard' and extremely thorough and advanced, covering all aspects of early childhood development, child health, contemporary practice etc. i have done both a practical and two three hour written theory exams, completed 15 written assignments, done 420 hours teaching practice and am completing a comprehensive child profile and TP file comprising detailed reflection on all aspects of my practice. This has given me knowledge and understanding way above what the 'new level three' could have provided me with and it is outrageous that it could be deemed invalid and worthy or being replaced by a level three qualification that is not by its nature and content anywhere near as detailed and comprehensive.

Barbara Isaacs is fierce though so i have faith that she will fight our cause!!

Jenni x

Allie
09-03-2011, 08:15 PM
What a completely stupid situation:angry: why would anyone think a new level three would be better than level4/5?

Can't they leave people alone to get on with their different approach to the EYFS

Allie

nat222
09-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Can i ask where you found out this information? I think montessori way of teaching is fab and alot of people miss understand it. I have worked in both Montessori setting and day nurserys and i can tell you by far montessori all the way. I love wooden toys too. Children get so much from it. I know people who have completed the diploma and dont think they are going to be best pleased after all the hard work that they put in.

westbrom44
09-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I read this in my Nursery World news email.

nicoleon
09-03-2011, 11:05 PM
another example of no communication :angry:

sarah707
10-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Can i ask where you found out this information?

The website is noted at the top of the article. It's online here -

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/

Hth :D

Heaven Scent
13-03-2011, 08:51 AM
GGGGGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

No time to comment now but - are we living in some sort of communist society ?????????? How can they say that there is only one way that works - The bloomin cheek of them how can they say it will be invalid when they nicked certain aspects of these methods and made out they thought of it first - Ha what a load of Poppy-**** !!!!!!!!!!!!! This has made me really really angry - I am disgusted with this - this is a fine example of people in charge not being adequately qualified to do their job and their ignorance has obviously made them fearful of the unknown so lets just pretend its not there!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

jumpinjen
13-03-2011, 08:58 AM
It's the idea of replacing a level 4/5 with a level 3 that baffles me..... how can that work??

jen x

Blaze
13-03-2011, 10:16 AM
There is also an article in the latest Nurseryworld issue.....:angry: