PDA

View Full Version : Feels like im being used !!!! some advice please

marlee1986
09-03-2011, 07:21 AM
hi all as u know im soon to have my pre-reg, well i have a close friend who is a childminder she currently looks after 2 lo's but on a monday 10-6 and the mum only pays her £30!!! for both children,
and in may the mum wants mon-fri 2-5.
well my friend had given her, her notice as she has 2 more starting full time as she wants full time money.

my friend has given her my number, and i was talking to her how much i was going to charge..... i want to charge £25 per day for 2-4 hours as they would be taking a full time space and there both in early years so i think £25 is fair but my friend has totally put me down as she always goes "ohhh thats a lot of money or the woman cant afford that" and "it wil be a good little starter for you" but ill be stuck with p/t mindees for little money, my friend isnt a very strong person wen it comes to askin 4 money n setting the rules, so i think she sells her self short.

my friend has told her that she needs full time work thats wht she has given her notice, the thing is im doing this as i love working with children and plan to be a GOOD childminder as i think the eyfs is great and cant wait to get started but also for another income in to the house and plan to have full timers and be full asap as genral running house cost are rising all the time and we are struggling on my partners wages.

but i feel like shes just given them notice as im about to become registered and so she dont feel so guilty, and she knows i need the money just as much as she does i wan to stand my ground and charge £5 per hour each child for the monday and in may for the 2-5 £25 per day each child as that is what ive set my fees as.

im really stuck and dnt want to let a friend down but at the same time dont want to be selling myself short. i need full time children and also i need to apply for a variation as i have 2 lo's myself untill september.

sorry ive gone on but needed to get it off my chest, its been going round and round in my mind

mama2three
09-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Youre not letting down your friend at all. She can pass your details to this parent - then it is up to you to discuss and agree rates with the parent. Dont do something you will end up resenting. You already have 2 los so in effect would be tieing up all of your space for very little reward!

JulieA
09-03-2011, 07:30 AM
I agree with mama2three. You have no obligation to take this woman on, as the woman has no obligation to use your services. What you charge is of no concern to your friend as it is YOUR business. If the lady in question doesn't want to pay your rate then she will need to look around elsewhere.

:thumbsup:

FussyElmo
09-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Also full time children can be quite hard to find especially with the way things are at the minute.

You will be suprised how part time children fit around each other also you are not dependent on one families money and if you lose them you lose you main money :)

birch24
09-03-2011, 07:31 AM
You are running a business and you have to charge what you think is right to charge. Its up to you. Personally I would charge your rates. If your friend wants to offer her services for less than her going rates than that is up to her. But obviously she wants more money and is now getting rid of her, so how is that really helping the mother?? The parent must know the rates of childcare and will expect it to be more I am sure. Your rates sound resonable to me.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks about it, it is your business.

Good luck:D

marlee1986
09-03-2011, 08:02 AM
thankyou all, i was thinking i cud get a morning one too but the main concern is my fees i think when she contacts me i will tell her my fees and if she dont like it then she can look else where, as also forgot to mention 1 of them goes to pre-school in sept and i wud be picking her up at 3.30 till 5pm so feel i wuddnt be able to get out the house if i had p/t 7.30 till 12/1 and then these 2 lo's 2pm-5pm and hopefully a couple of school runs i feel i wud be walkin back and forth to the schools as my daughter starts school sept and she has to start on 1/2 days.

and ur all right my buissiness my fees :)

Jo Jo
09-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Hope you get things sorted hun, like the others have said its your business and your income, so do what you feel best xx

onceinabluemoon
09-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Rather than feeling as if you're being used, why don't you look upon it as your friend is trying to help you out?

You are not obligated to take on this family and if you don't want to just don't do it, however be aware that full timers are not always easy to come by and if one leaves you lose an awful lot of your income.

I recently had a full timer leave and let part of the space out to a part timer. A few weeks later I had an enquiry from another part timer who needed the other days - they were all spaced out weirdly too so I didn't think I had a cat's chance of filling them!

One of my full timers now started on some really dodgy part time hours, 3 hours in the middle of the day etc etc, but then the parent was really happy with the care I provide and decided to go back to work full time. You never know...

You charge what your rates are, you can always point out that the other minder undercharged her and the going rate is£x. You could ask parent if she's aware that tax credits help out with childcare if she's finding it difficult to cope financially (although I would do it in a way that makes it looks as if you offer the same advice to all parents so not to offend)

Chin up and think positive. :)

Mouse
09-03-2011, 09:27 AM
If you already have 2 children of your own, have you enquired with Ofsted about having a varaition to take on 2 from the beginning? I have to be honest, I think you'd be very lucky to get the variation straight away, so you're only going to have one space anyway.

If you do get the variation though, stick to your fees and charge what you want. It's not your fault your friend has undercharged all this time. What do other minders in your area charge? Are they all as high as £5 per hour and £25 for the 3 hours per child?

marlee1986
09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Rather than feeling as if you're being used, why don't you look upon it as your friend is trying to help you out?

You are not obligated to take on this family and if you don't want to just don't do it, however be aware that full timers are not always easy to come by and if one leaves you lose an awful lot of your income.

I recently had a full timer leave and let part of the space out to a part timer. A few weeks later I had an enquiry from another part timer who needed the other days - they were all spaced out weirdly too so I didn't think I had a cat's chance of filling them!

One of my full timers now started on some really dodgy part time hours, 3 hours in the middle of the day etc etc, but then the parent was really happy with the care I provide and decided to go back to work full time. You never know...

You charge what your rates are, you can always point out that the other minder undercharged her and the going rate is£x. You could ask parent if she's aware that tax credits help out with childcare if she's finding it difficult to cope financially (although I would do it in a way that makes it looks as if you offer the same advice to all parents so not to offend)

Chin up and think positive. :)

hi onceinabluemoon, i do think it wud be easier to fill the morning spaces as id have untill 2, i know shes my friend but i kinda feel like she is helping me out but getting rid of them as shes got some 1 signed up 4 fulltime and she knows i need the work and money too, my friend has told me that she pays bu childcare vouchers i would like to take them on but i need to earn a living :) thankyou 4 ur advice :)

marlee1986
09-03-2011, 09:48 AM
If you already have 2 children of your own, have you enquired with Ofsted about having a varaition to take on 2 from the beginning? I have to be honest, I think you'd be very lucky to get the variation straight away, so you're only going to have one space anyway.

If you do get the variation though, stick to your fees and charge what you want. It's not your fault your friend has undercharged all this time. What do other minders in your area charge? Are they all as high as £5 per hour and £25 for the 3 hours per child?

hi mouse, do u not think i would get a varation my 3yo is at per-school most days and i have double buggy and things. should i ask the inspector when she visits or give ofsted a call.

yes everyone in out area is £5per hour and some charge £37.50 for a full day (part time hours) but my friend seems to charge the parents on wht she wants wen they enquire she doestnt seem to set her fees.
thankyou

~Grasshopper~
09-03-2011, 11:29 AM
hi mouse, do u not think i would get a varation my 3yo is at per-school most days and i have double buggy and things. should i ask the inspector when she visits or give ofsted a call.

yes everyone in out area is £5per hour and some charge £37.50 for a full day (part time hours) but my friend seems to charge the parents on wht she wants wen they enquire she doestnt seem to set her fees.
thankyou

hi hun.

my 3 year old is in school every afternoon but he still has to count in my numbers as if he is ill ect he will be home with me. as i also have a 1 year old im only allowed 1 x under 5 until my 3year old starts school full time in sept. x

Goatgirl
09-03-2011, 12:25 PM
hi hun.

my 3 year old is in school every afternoon but he still has to count in my numbers as if he is ill ect he will be home with me. as i also have a 1 year old im only allowed 1 x under 5 until my 3year old starts school full time in sept. x

Hi,
regarding the variation, Ofsted do give variations for new work, but it can be very hit and miss and you are more likely to get it for continuity of care. Could you have one child for a few hours to start, then ask for a variation for the sibling to come too? It seems a popular way round it.

If it was me just starting out, I'd take them on, but at my rates and probably charge a session rate rather than 3 hours. Sounds like a lot of faffing about for 3 hours pay :rolleyes:

good luck :)

Mouse
09-03-2011, 12:32 PM

thankyou

Hi, the general rule is that your own child will count in your numbers, even if they are at pre-school. Also Ofsted guidelines say that they won't give a variation for new business, nor will they grant one before you've had your first inspection (though that's not always the case and people do get them). I do think it might be unlikely that they'd grant you a variation at registration. All you can do is ask though - you never know! Have you got a date set for your pre-reg visit yet? How far are you through the process? Either ask when you have your visit, or give them a quick ring :thumbsup:

marlee1986
09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi, the general rule is that your own child will count in your numbers, even if they are at pre-school. Also Ofsted guidelines say that they won't give a variation for new business, nor will they grant one before you've had your first inspection (though that's not always the case and people do get them). I do think it might be unlikely that they'd grant you a variation at registration. All you can do is ask though - you never know! Have you got a date set for your pre-reg visit yet? How far are you through the process? Either ask when you have your visit, or give them a quick ring :thumbsup:

hi, my visit is on the 17th march :) so nt long :), and i was thinking of charging the parent £25 a day each 4 the 3 hours as it isnt alot og hours but could mean i was turning full time away beacuse of the hour there doing but it cud be easier to get another part time morning ??

i think ill ask the inspector on the 17th :)