PDA

View Full Version : Issue with parent over suncream

gingerella
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi

Just wondering if any of you lovely people could help me out on this dilemma. I gave a parent a permission slip for me to put suncream on their child and they said as they are black they don't use it and don't want me to put suncream on their child (who is 15 months). I feel that keeping the child safe means preventing skin cancer and sunburn and putting it on but obviously I can't do that if the parent doesn't want me to. Do I get them to sign a form saying they don't want me to?

HELP! :panic:

Thanks

Helen

rickysmiths
08-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Dark skin does have more protection but definately not completely, they sunburn just the way we do, I have seen Africans in Africa with calomine all over their faces and shoulders :panic:

I would write a letter explaining you are surprised and if this is the case and as you have a Duty of Care for the child in your care, you will have to ask them to sign the following conditions.

During the summer, so from 26th March this year you will expect them to provide a long sleeved cotton tee shirt and a pair of cotton leggings and a wide brimmed sun hat EVERY day. Not just when they think it is going to be hot.

You have to plan for all the children in your care and you are expected to go outside by Ofsted every day. Never mind the school/nursery runs you may do. If they arrive one morning without, they will have to go home with lo and get what is needed. Simple. Or sign the suncream permission!

The Juggler
08-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Dark skin does have more protection but definately not completely, they sunburn just the way we do, I have seen Africans in Africa with calomine all over their faces and shoulders :panic:

I would write a letter explaining you are surprised and if this is the case and as you have a Duty of Care for the child in your care, you will have to ask them to sign the following conditions.

During the summer, so from 26th March this year you will expect them to provide a long sleeved cotton tee shirt and a pair of cotton leggings and a wide brimmed sun hat EVERY day. Not just when they think it is going to be hot.

You have to plan for all the children in your care and you are expected to go outside by Ofsted every day. Never mind the school/nursery runs you may do. If they arrive one morning without, they will have to go home with lo and get what is needed. Simple. Or sign the suncream permission!

I agree :thumbsup:

CHUNKY MONKEY
08-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I would do the same as above but ask for spare set for you to keep as well

flowerpots
09-03-2011, 07:00 AM
i have the same thing with one of my mindees and she just keeps a bag here with sun hat, long sleeve tops, and long linen trousers.

I have got her to sign to say she doesnt want me to apply suncream. :rolleyes:

onceinabluemoon
09-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Perhaps this may be useful?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5219752.stm

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/skin/Pages/Sunsafe.aspx

http://www.brownskin.net/cancer.html

I think you have to respect the parents wishes not to use suncream, especially as whilst suncream may well protect your skin from the sun it is still pumping lots of nasty chemicals into your body which oddly enough have been linked with cancer...

http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html
http://www.smartskincare.com/skinprotection/chemical-sunscreen-risks.html

I would do as others say. Advise the parent that you cannot legally knowingly put her child at risk of harm and ask her to provide clothing which is suitable to block the suns rays.

Also (and this is possibly a minefield)... Can you treat this child differently because they are black skinned, surely that is discrimination and by not protecting them from the sun you are somehow not being inclusive? Maybe its ok because parent has asked, but I would ensure you get that in writing if only to appease ofsted and protect yourself from future lawsuits

Mookins
09-03-2011, 01:18 PM

agreed too....i have many friends who are black and they all wear sunscreen...not a valid reason and certainly does not prevent skin cancer

xx

madwoman
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I agree with rickysmiths you have to cover yourself and the child.

Mykidsrock
11-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Also (and this is possibly a minefield)... Can you treat this child differently because they are black skinned, surely that is discrimination and by not protecting them from the sun you are somehow not being inclusive? Maybe its ok because parent has asked, but I would ensure you get that in writing if only to appease ofsted and protect yourself from future lawsuits[/QUOTE]

MMM I agree on this point. You could be seem as excluding this child due to their skin colour (through no fault of your own), so if only to appease Ofsted at a later date I would be asking for this in writing from the parents and also would do a letter stating about the long sleeve top etc so that Ofsted can see you have done what you can to include the child.

Good luck

Jess x

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
ask them if they know what bob marly died from

Skin cancer!

Pipsqueak
11-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Oh heavens please someone correct this mum quickly - my bestie from childhood - she is black - she NEVER used suncream and neither did her mum as the mum laboured under this misapprehension. The mother died from skin cancer and my bestie has cancerous moles and areas in her skin and undergoes regular checks. In recall she used to burn badly.