PDA

View Full Version : Joining the gym

emmadines
07-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Hello,

Im joining a gym tomorrow.............. im quiet looking forward to it lol have you joined and how often do you go???

Im roughly a size 14 and 5ft 3inches in height. im not worried bout my current weight as ive always floated between 10 - 10.5 stone and last time i checked i wasn't far off that........ Im hopping to get back to my size 10s and build my upper body strength as its important i can carry ppl/ trailers etc as a paramedic (they want you to be able to lift a certain amount - although i cant remember what that is at mo)

Emma

xx

The Juggler
07-03-2011, 07:28 AM
not to be nosey hon but what happened with your appeal to uni? any joy???

if you need the motivation def. join a gym. I don't enjoy it much myself I'd rather be in a dance type class but obv. if you need upper body strength then it's a must.

you could do a few drop in classes (if you prefer that more) then do some build up exercises at home.

The weight loss programe I followed actually targets bodyweight exercises (where you support your bodyweight) as this targets upper body strength, abs (so helps your back) and you do 15-20 minute spurts of them which he reckons will burn more fat than a 40 minute gentle run on the treadmill. It's based on the theory that you really push your large muscle groups (thigsh, abs, biceps). it's things like start jumps, squats, push ups, burpees (also pull ups which I coudl NEVER do in a million years and hand stand push ups :eek: :eek: ditto.

So based on his theory something like a circuit class would be good. As you are supporting your bodyweight to lift it it's better for your upper body than weight training.:thumbsup:

emmadines
07-03-2011, 07:48 AM
hello, im looking at appling as an emergancy care worker and working my way up and applying nest year

im looking at doing at least one class

xx

The Juggler
07-03-2011, 05:56 PM
hello, im looking at appling as an emergancy care worker and working my way up and applying nest year

im looking at doing at least one class

xx

good for you! i would def. go for a circuits type class then hon with all the push ups and usually some handweight stuff too.:thumbsup:

wendywu
07-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I go to the gym 3 times a week for 90 minutes each time.:littleangel:

I do half an hour on the stepper, then the weights, then 500 sit ups.

Sometimes i hate it, but i make myself go.

It does help to keep my weight down, keeps me strong and im sure that it is the reason i NEVER EVER catch any illness off mindees.

So worth it in the long run :thumbsup:

emmadines
07-03-2011, 08:16 PM
500 sit ups................. WOW I cant event do 5 :S

Im having a plan and induction on friday

The Juggler
07-03-2011, 08:18 PM
500 sit ups................. WOW I cant event do 5 :S

Im having a plan and induction on friday

exactly Wendy, I'm impressed. Actually not too bad at sit ups but push ups - about 5 then I fall flat on my face :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: