PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Babies Safe

Cazz
22-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I have my own 4 month old baby and my other children are 10 year old twins so they are sensible and careful with her. What I wondered is if you use playpens when you have a baby and toddlers at the same time? I'm not a great fan of them personally as I feel the children are restricted and a bit like being in a cage! However, when I start childminding I want my baby and any others to be safe from toddlers charging about and also unsuitable toys. Do ofsted approve of playpens? If so, I think a friend has a baby-dan that is no longer needed so perhaps she would sell it to me.

Also, I plan to use my conservatory as a designated playroom, that room is of the kitchen/diner (which has the table to be used for messy activities) and then off the kitchen is the lounge which I will also use but probably as more of a quiet room and occasional tv watching. If I used a playpen for babies can it be in the lounge where I will always be in sight (going between lounge and playroom) and earshot or would it have to be in the noisy playroom with the toddlers? I ask because obviously babies would be reasonably safe in a playpen in the lounge or is this a big no-no. By the way, I obviously wouldn't have babies in playpens all the time - just a times when needs must.

crazybones
22-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I used a baby Dan with my son. I thought it was great because of the versitility. I would take it in the garden and pop him in so he was safe and I could give attention to the others. I kept it in the lounge and the gate was mostly open and he would chose to go in there himself sometimes to play alone.

bubbly
22-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Cazz, my downstairs is exactly the same layout as yours. I don't use a playpen as I don't have room but just wanted to say the room layout works well for minding as all my downstairs rooms lead off one another and aren't spearated by a hall. I can watch what's happening in the lounge AND conservatory when I'm in the kitchen because it's in the middle with the other rooms leading off.

sarah707
22-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I bought a playpen / bed for my little one when he got to the stage where he was moving. I pop him in there when i have to be elsewhere with other children... it's a godsend and I wouldn't be without it tbh. :D

hbomb1
22-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I use my conservatory as the play/messy room, which is attached on to the dining/family room which then leads into the lounge (basically open plan). Between the lounge and the dining/family room are glass double doors and then glass panels next to them (IYKWIM).

When I had my suitable person Ofsted visit, I asked about leaving a baby in a cot/bed in the lounge during nap times and I was told that this was only acceptable if the doors remained open so that baby was in eye and ear shot of me at all times. (even though the doors are transparent glass).

So I think you should be okay leaving baby in the lounge as long as doors are open.

Good idea re: the baby dan as long as you have enough room.

Helen :)

Twinkles
22-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I use my conservatory as the play/messy room, which is attached on to the dining/family room which then leads into the lounge (basically open plan). Between the lounge and the dining/family room are glass double doors and then glass panels next to them (IYKWIM).

When I had my suitable person Ofsted visit, I asked about leaving a baby in a cot/bed in the lounge during nap times and I was told that this was only acceptable if the doors remained open so that baby was in eye and ear shot of me at all times. (even though the doors are transparent glass).
So I think you should be okay leaving baby in the lounge as long as doors are open.

Good idea re: the baby dan as long as you have enough room.

Helen :)

What about those of us who sleep lo's upstairs ?
Or those of us who have cats that we want to shut out at nap times ?

As for the playpen I use one if I have to leave the room ( to go to the loo on my own :eek: ) or make the tea. I pop baby in there to save him from over loving :rolleyes: toddlers.
It's also great for the garden, it keeps them contained and if you start them early enough they don't mind it.

Cazz
22-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks. Obviously the baby dan's are quite big then - I'll have to ask my friend to let me see it. It's re-assuring to know that my downstairs layout will be ideal for childminding, i thought it would be which is one of the reasons I decided to do it. I have a downstairs loo that I will use and will only register baby's bedroom upstairs incase there is a child that needs a nap.
Having said that, is it acceptable to let babies/toddlers nap in the lounge if it is classed as a quiet room or do they actually have to go into a bed or cot? My baby just drifts off to the land of nod in her bouncy chair in the lounge (hard life eh :) during the day at the moment so if I didn't have to use her bedroom for minded children it would be all the better.