PDA

View Full Version : How long?

RachD
04-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Hello All

How long does it take to get registered and started?

The reason i ask is i was working 3 days a week and my job wasnt looking very secure so started my childminders course online - going very slowly at mo! But now i have been offer a full time job as a Banardos family support worker on a 6 month contract.

So i am just in a bit of a tizz over what to to do if it could take 6 months or more then it would be an idea to take this job to tide me over.

Also anyone a childminder near Ebbwvale, if i take this job i need someone to look after my 3year old.

RachD
04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
ohh forgot to say, the job with banardos means they give me first aid training, safegaurding and child protection training aswell :)

Mel_Johnson
04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
It has taken me over a year so far. I had to wait about 6 months from my briefing session for an ICP (Introduction to Childcare Practices) course to come in my area to start with.
Have you done your briefing session with CSSIW yet. They like things to be done in a certine order which is why it can take so long. My ICP course was 1 night a week for about 6 weeks.

Hope that helps

Mel

aly
04-03-2011, 11:02 AM
hiya

I'm in blackwood. It took me 9 months to get registered. I think it depoends on areas and my mnindees mum is going through the process and she has to do an extra icp session.

manjay
04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
It took me 12 months from my briefing session to getting my certificate. I think I would be tempted to go for the 6 month contract in the mean time:thumbsup:

rachelmama
04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
hi

MY other half is about to do the online version we had to ring the icc in blaina about it , so hopfully he can do it I did the icp course over 12 weeks one evening a week I then went on to do level 3 childcare in college, that will be nice working for barnardos is that with leisure through summer hols or working with familys taking a child out .

RachD
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks Guys, you have clarified for me that i should take the job as it seems a slim chance i will be done in under 6n month.

Rachelmama - the job is a new project supporting familys so i will be working with familes before they go to social services as children in need so hopefully preventing them getting to that stage.

Next qeustion if i did manage to get everything sorted and register is there any time limit between registering and actually minding, so i mean if a registered and then my contract got exteneded by 3 months where would i stand?

~Chelle~
04-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I had my briefing session in January and didnt get registered till the end of September, took almost 10 months.

Good luck x

tulip0803
04-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I moved from England where I was a childminder to Wales and it took me 11 months to re-register.

I work 3 days a week as a family support playworker in a family centre in my village. I childmind when I am not working. My FSPW wages are guaranteed at the moment and work is scarce childminding (although I am doing well enough with the two that I do not need to fill all my vacancies:D ).

Speak to CSSIW and see what they say - there is no guarantee that you would find mindees immediately - I spent 18 months mainly working 6 hours childminding per week has taken off now though.

Good luck

Polly2
15-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Guys, you have clarified for me that i should take the job as it seems a slim chance i will be done in under 6n month.

Rachelmama - the job is a new project supporting familys so i will be working with familes before they go to social services as children in need so hopefully preventing them getting to that stage.

Next qeustion if i did manage to get everything sorted and register is there any time limit between registering and actually minding, so i mean if a registered and then my contract got exteneded by 3 months where would i stand?

The only gap you might have is finding mindees!! It was 6 months before I had a phone call after I registered - it just takes a little while to get a good reputation. You might be lucky though :)

I would take the 6mth contract and take advantage of all the training as there is very little training offered in our area:thumbsup: