PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of giving up!

Libby08
01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I have only been registered since Dec but Ive been advertising loads and have met quite a few families but nothing has come of it. Its cost me quite a lot to get to this point so just don't know what to do! Is it normal to take a while?

I met a parent who signed her child up for care when she needs it (no set hours) and as i had nothing else i said yes. She was happy with everything and he came for a free settling in session and then did a 5 hour day (again the parent was happy and said he had a great time etc) about 3 weeks ago and that was it!! S!he said she will definatley use me again but who knows when?

I just don't know what else I can do to advertise myself and although it may not seem like a long time to some i am just getting to the point that I may have to give up and find something else to do (even though I don't want to) as we are really struggling finacialy now.

I feel a bit down at the moment like ive done all this hard work and spent a lot of money for nothing.

WibbleWobble
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
dont give up....something will come your way.

I wouldnt do any settling in sessions without a contract....and i think 5 hours for free was very generous. If i am feeling kind i will do an hour or so, and maybe an hour with parent. Not five hours....

dont despair

love mandy xxx

It's a small world
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Dont give up yet honestly. Ive been registered 2 years this July:eek: .

At first I had a friends child 2 days a week . Other than this I had nothing, 5 months later I got 2 after school children then another friends lo then four months after this (almost 8 months after I registered I got another lo then recently took on 2 two more school children and looking like Im due to get another lo in a couple of months :clapping: Its took me a while but I got here. I almost gave up. I still have a few spaces free but they are half days but works great as gives me time with my own child.

I placed adverts in shops (Wilkinsons), signs in my car, attended alot of groups to get my face known(especially cm groups-word of mouth definitely the best form of advertising) I know its hard but it really is early days. I even had adverts printed (vistaprint) and walked around my estate popping them in letterboxes hoping if the person didnt need me tehy knew someone who would. Ive had several enquiries over the last couple of years and even had to turn work away as numbers clash. Oh I also had an evening job for about 6 months of first registering to give me some income.

Hope this helps a little and happy to chat if you need to. Sorry Ive gone on. But ive been here and everyone on this forum encouraged me to continue. Now even though its hard at times. Im glad Ive stuck it out. I get to spend time with my family and have made some fab friends through this job and forum and the parents and children are happy with my care xx

Good luck Im sure thing will look up soon xx

WibbleWobble
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM
dont give up....something will come your way.

I wouldnt do any settling in sessions without a contract....and i think 5 hours for free was very generous. If i am feeling kind i will do an hour or so, and maybe an hour with parent. Not five hours....

dont despair

love mandy xxx

oh heck...just re read your post...i am doo lally with poorlyness..you didnt give 5 hours for free! i apologise.

but i am right in saying dont give up!

mandy xx

Minstrel
01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I would also say don't give up! I reg'd two yrs ago in may and didn't get my first mindees until that September.

I also took on an ad-hoc contract and they are still with me. Last summer i had both of them full time. Also a lovely family and they pass on my number all the time. I have made great friends with them and now they are expecting another baby so more work for me!

Could you try some babysitting? Make sure you have a USP or think of a special offer you could run?

sandy64
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
im sending you a big hug and lots of positive vibes dont give up hun youve got this far try advertiseing at colleges schools etc speak to local c.m ask them to pass your number on. it will happen. if you really need to earn could you maybe do a temp job part time? wishing you all the best for the future:)

Libby08
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone.

Sorry mandy, maybe i didnt word my post very well. I did a short term contract and he just came for an hour settling in. (was all his parent could fit in). Then i got paid for 5 hours! Thanks for your support, i think OH is getting fed up of me complaining I have no work and money so its nice to hear people telling me to keep going!

Hopefully something will come up!

DAWN44
01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
:) I could have wrote that post.

I know exactly how you are feeling, I feel the same. Its really quiet around here at moment. I just have a little mindee on ad hoc care .

I have been out today , and put adverts in local shops again. Money is so tight and I may have to do some weekend work somewhere if it doesnt pick up soon.

I did feel really down, but after reading all the replies I guess we will soon get some mindees in.

Good luck, hope you get some soon

Dawn x

helengreen13
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I have been childminding for about a year but started really slowly. I also took on a mindee on an "as and when" contract mainly out of desperation and to try out ideas and to get the hand of things. Then I had a mindee one day a week and then an after school mindee 5 days a week and have just signed a new mindee full time that starts tomorrow. I have thought about giving up so many times but you will get there in the end. I have just had my first graded inspection, with only have one mindee on my books for 6 hours a week and still got a Good.

Give it time and things will get better.

Helen
x :)

clio0602
01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Hiya I waited 6mths for 1st mindee then got 2 more the mnth after that. I then had about 3 enquiries I couldn't do and in te past month have turned down about 10 enquiries!!!

Most of mine were from childcare.co.uk or word of mouth. Hang in there x

TinyTinker
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
They are like buses! you hear nothing then they all come at once!

Most of my business comes via my personal website, so if you haven't got one, it may be worthwhile?

I registered in November, and I have just filled my last vacancy and have someone on a kind of waiting list;)

madwoman
03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't give up hun, i have been registered since October and have only now got 2 children for before and after school care but not every day.

All good things come to those who wait.

Hang in there :thumbsup:

Vickster
03-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Don't give up! It will happen. Keep going, keep talking to people.

missymood
03-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi don't give up it will work out in the end.
You can always have a moan on here, we will listen to you:D

candlequeen
06-03-2011, 08:24 AM
My friend did a door drop just in her road, and the only kids she's ended up getting came through that. Most people would love to find a childminder really near by. Although like me you might know there's not enough kids in your road, you may know of some roads nearby with lots of kids?
I am terrified things are going to be the same with me. I just can't afford not to work. I gave up work to do this, and have been unemployed for 8 months just going through the whole registration process.