PDA

View Full Version : contract review and termination date

Mrs Pootle
21-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Is it possible/aceptable to put a contract termination date in to a contract?

I have arranged a contract review meeting with a parent and I know that the contract we currently have in place will come to an end this summer as mindee will start school. (we've already discussed after school care from Sept) As I don't work school hols, I had initially thought mum would give notice to end in July, however I have since realised through a conversation with mum that her college course ends in May and so I am thinking that maybe she won't need childcare once college finishes.

I obviously want to discuss this at our review meeting so that I know if I will have a vacancy from June or Sept, but I wondered if it was ok to alter the contract to include an end date (mutally agreed). This would give me a definite date, and also mean mum wouldn't have to remember to give the 4 weeks notice (unless she wants to end sooner).

I get on well with mum, and can't see the conversation being a problem, I just want to be sure I am doing something that's legal. :)

The Juggler
21-02-2011, 09:10 AM
you could put an end date in but it wont' stop mum giving you 4 weeks notice in May hon.

I would ask her honestly about her plans. Tell her you would love to keep x when she starts school but you need to know if you have a vacancy so that you can advertise in plenty of time so as you aren't left without work at short notice. I'm always honest with my parents about my need to fill vacancies asap - they are in the same boat hon and they can't really afford to be without work either so am sure she'll understand.

If the LO is starting school though you can take on another full-time day timer anyway - can't you??

Sit her down and say maybe we can discuss your contract needs when x starts school, whether you need me, hours etc. Then if you discuss that she might not be there through June-August you could advertise and take on the new fulltime child in June instead of September.

Good luckx

Mrs Pootle
21-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your reply :) - I have no problem with putting an end date of May, I just want to know where I stand. I am happy for mindee to finish in May & then take her back on in Sept if they want afterschool care. I just want to know if I am looking to fill a vacancy from June or Sept.