PDA

View Full Version : I must be mad!!!

maisiemog
15-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I've just signed up to do the Race For Life this year!!!

I am quite literally the most unfit person on the planet!!! It's gonna kill me I think!

But I really want to do it! Both my mum and my Grandad died of lung cancer so I'm doing it for them!!!

best get down the gym then!!!

maryp0ppins
15-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I did it 2 years ago & loved every minute of it, it's for a good cause whats not to love...

I did it in a not to bad time (for me :blush: ) you dont have to run, you can walk it.......:thumbsup:

Good luck X

Helen Dempster
15-02-2011, 10:03 AM
One of mindees mums has asked if I fancy doing this with her. I thought I was the most unfit person on the planet!!! lol. I'm still thinking about it, so you think I should go for it? How often would I have to train - it's only the 5k one. It's a great cause, which is pushing me in the general direction of a 'yes'.

maryp0ppins
15-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Yes go for it...I ran 1 mile two days a week, then two weeks before uped it to 2 miles twice a week....Looking back I should have done more maybe but like I said you dont have to run the whole way :D

Mouse
15-02-2011, 10:33 AM
If you do a google search for RFL training plans, you'll find info for absolute beginners. It looks like they haven't got the plans up for this year yet, but they take you through it, week by week, telling you which days to run & which days to rest. The first sessions are usually for about 15 mins at a time, 2 mins running and 1 min walking, 5 times. You build up gradually form there.

I did RFL a few years ago with a group of friends, one of who was having chemo at the time. We walked it as she wasn't able to run. It was an absolutely fantastic day & I'd recommend it to anyone :thumbsup:

Mouse
15-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Here's a good example

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule/67.html

mrs_scottydog
15-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I've done one for the last few years with my DH's family. I admit I don't always put a lot of training in beforehand but it is fun on the day, especially if you're with a group. I've also started doing the odd 10k run.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it and as others have said it's for a good cause. :) Hx