PDA

View Full Version : stars and planets

jake
14-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi guys,my own 4 yr old and also my 4 yr old mindee aswell now are showing interest in the stars and planets,im going to have a look for some books on this subject but does anyone have any activity ideas on this subject?
thanks jake:)

hello kitty
14-02-2011, 09:25 PM
We did a topic on Space a while back. We ...

Talked about sun awareness (PSED)
Tried dried astronaut food (PSED)

Read Q Pootle 5, Whatever Next, Aliens wear underpants (CLL)
Sang Space songs (CLL)

We designed junk spaceships (KUW)
Explored light and dark in dark den, torches etc (KUW)

Put stars in size order (PSRN)
Baked star cookies - measuring ingredients (PSRN)

Put stars in gel and used tweezers to rescue them (PD)
Meteors - wrapped balls in foil, added a crepe paper tail and played catch (PD)

Role played spacemen (CD)
Made space helmets (CD)

Hope that gives you some inspiration. There are loads of websites with ideas, just google space, pre-school (or something similar!) ;)

miffy
14-02-2011, 09:40 PM
There's some lovely display ideas here

http://www.******.co.uk/resources/topics/places/space

Have fun

Miffy xx

LittleStar's
14-02-2011, 09:43 PM
We did space in November , I bought some astronauts ice cream off ebay, and the children really enjoyed making their own aliens.

singingcactus
15-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I did lots of these activities when my twins were younger - astromony (http://www.suite101.com/content/astronomy-activities-for-kids-a188236) - as your kids are 4 they might enjoy them too.

jake
15-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys for this i really cant wait to get started and the kids are going to love it jake x

kells_bells
15-02-2011, 04:37 PM
not sure if your close enough but Jodrell Bank is having a refurb and will be open again in a few weeks.

I made rockets from industrial bobbins, they are sort of cone shaped and we covered them in foil and used yellow and orange tissue paper to make the blast off flames :)

The Juggler
06-03-2011, 08:52 AM
we made a papier mache 'planet' on a large piece of board. made lots of craters and mountains then painted it when dry with glitter and stars.

Made it with my 3 year olds over a year ago and it still gets used for our smallworld space play.:thumbsup:

manjay
06-03-2011, 09:20 AM
we made a papier mache 'planet' on a large piece of board. made lots of craters and mountains then painted it when dry with glitter and stars.

Made it with my 3 year olds over a year ago and it still gets used for our smallworld space play.:thumbsup:

I was just going to add about papier mache! My children love making things using a balloon inside papier mache. Great for making planets.