PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe there are such things a big bones?

venus89
14-02-2011, 10:13 AM
This is another one DH and I disagree on! He, and his family, are all overweight. I am naturally thin. So that will probably sway what we each think but he says his family are all big boned and I think it's a myth. I do think some people will have wider/longer/larger bones than others but I don't think that that has to bear any relation to weight gain. In his case it's down to snacking - he's cut out the snacking this year and lost so much weight, bless him.

What do you think - are there big bones, or is it a myth?

kindredspirits
14-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Big bones don't cause fat. Theres a big difference - my DH has really broad shoulders and a round ribcage - you can clearly see there is not an ounce of fat around his chest at all, that is just his bon structure - BUT he does have a spare tyre and you can't blame that on his bones.
People with 'big bones' are not fat - but you cannot blame fat deposits on big bones. Its an excuse for staying fat (or fatter) IMO.

Minstrel
14-02-2011, 10:46 AM
It believe people have bigger skeletons than others and i think this is where the original saying must be from.

I have wide hips (child bearing!!!) and although I am over weight now (baby a few months ago) I would never be smaller than a size 12 due to width of my hips. Even with no fat on them- I would never get any small size jeans over them!

I don't think they cause fat or way any more though!

Mouse
14-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm sure the size of your frame will make a slight difference to your weight - if you have a bigger skeleton, it's bound to weigh a bit more, but it's the padding round the bones that makes the big difference :rolleyes:

Rather than weight, perhaps your husband would be better of trying to find out his fat levels. They'd be a better indicator of how much of his weight is down to his bones and how much is down to fat.

Pipsqueak
14-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I was told -that there is 'no such thing as 'big' bones' - generally as an adult - all our bones weigh (roughly) the same when it comes down to it. My mother always refers to me as being 'big boned' and that was always my cop out...... even at my skinniest when I was dancing a lot at 5ft11 I was 8.5stone and I still looked 'big'.

We all carry weight differently due to height/genetics/frame size/posture/fitness/health.

singingcactus
14-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a large frame, my shoulders are much wider than average which means I cannot find ladies coats that fit because woman are supposed to have narrow shoulders apparently. It has nothing to do with my weight - even when I weighed only 8 stone I still had a large frame and was a size 12 but looked emaciated.
You just need to look at the variety of hand sizes and feet sizes to see that large frames and bones are not a myth! If everyone had the same sized bones we'd all have the same sized hands and feet. I wear a large mens glove, and have size 8-9 shoes. My mum wears small ladies gloves and has size 3-4 shoes. Nothing to do with weight though, she is obese, I am the correct weight. But I still have a larger frame than her.

WibbleWobble
15-02-2011, 07:54 AM
i am big boned

i also have very thick skin

and i am the right weight but the wrong height!!!

lol:laughing:

mandy xxx