PDA

View Full Version : Another question...sorry 4 being a pain

bubbly
20-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm so sorry for bombarding the forum questions but I can't stop thinking of them. My brain has gone into overload.

Re: first inspection next week

When I take baby upstairs for a nap in the cot, will I be ok to ask the 3 year old to wait at the bottom of the stairs for me or should I take her upstairs too? I have a stairgate on the bottom of the stairs so she wouldn't be able to follow me up on her own.

The only problem with taking her with me is that she lives in a flat and is terrible with stairs. She's unsteady on her feet and I don't think I could manage her and baby at the same time.

Twinkles
20-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I think you should do a risk assesment on it and prove to the inspector that it's safer to leave her downstairs. Maybe sit her at the bottom of the stairs with a book.

sarah707
20-04-2008, 10:19 AM
A risk assessment is the way to go like Twinkles says...

If I leave xxx at the bottom of the stairs with a book and there is an emergency / fire the problems are...

If I take xxx with me upstairs and there is an emergency / fire the problems are...

Consider things like the baby fussing and you being upstairs longer than expected; xxx shouting up she needs a wee; the doorbell ringing when you are half way upstairs; baby wriggling and you trying to help xxx climb; xxx being denied access to the stairs which might impede her gross motor skills etc.

I have therefore decided that I will leave xxx at the bottom of the stairs with a book when I take baby upstairs / go to check on him every 15 minutes when he is sleeping / go to collect him.

I have permission from xxx's parents for this to happen.

All I can think of just now - hope it helps :D

donnahay0
20-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I can't help but wonder what on earth I did with my own children - I must have been such a bad mother to have left them on their own while I put one of them to bed or even had a wee.

I think a risk assessment is the only way to go & try and get some practice in before your inspection so the little one knows what to expect. Having a small selection of books is an excellent idea.

miffy
20-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I think you should do a risk assesment on it and prove to the inspector that it's safer to leave her downstairs. Maybe sit her at the bottom of the stairs with a book.

and talk to her whilst you are upstairs? - within sight or hearing

miffy xx

bubbly
20-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I've taken your good advice (thank you) and risk assessed the situation.

I'm a bit of a novice but have basically:

1. pointed out any hazards I may encounter when taking baby upstairs / bringing downstairs

2. included what I will do with the other child(ren) during this time and how I will ensure her/their safety whilst waiting at the bottom of the stairs.

3. included what I would do should an emergency arise and we are not together.

I also thought it best to put one copy of the assessment in my file with the others and print out another to put in the girl's file with a covering note stating:

After careful consideration regarding XXX's safety whilst I am taking baby upstairs for a sleep, I have decided it would be safer for XXX to remain on the bottom step, within earshot, rather than taking her upstairs with me. I have reached this conclusion due to the following reasons:

1. XXX lives in a flat and is unused to stairs

2. On the occasions she has climbed the stairs with me, I have noticed how unsteady she is on her feet

3. She isn’t able to judge the distance between steps with accuracy

4. I feel I would be compromising baby’s safety if I were to hold XXX’s hand whilst holding baby in the other

I have risked assessed the situation and feel this is the safest solution for all parties concerned

Does that sound ok do you think?

son77
20-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Sounds brill to me.

You have covered all eventualities as far as I can see.

sarah707
20-04-2008, 02:09 PM
That sounds absolutely perfect!

You are no longer allowed to call yourself a novice! :D

bubbly
20-04-2008, 02:14 PM
^ Aww shucks, I'm blushing :blush:

I just know if I take the girl upstairs with me, she's bound to fall all the way down when the inspector's here. Weighing everything up, she'd be far safer at the bottom. Followed your advice and placed some books there too.

I feel more confident I'm doing the right thing after hearing it's what more experienced minders would do too.

Big thankies for helping me :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
20-04-2008, 02:52 PM
******* that for a game of soldiers. If this is the case I'm going to have mine sleeping downstairs on the inspections day so she can't say a word to me about it I'll have them in my living room in travel cots then its one less thing to bother about then I don't have to worry too much.

It wont make much difference as the children used to sleep downstairs so it won't matter - I don't see why we have permission to sleep them upstairs anyway as the house has been registered and we have baby listeners and we check on them regularly and if it in the policies then it shouldn't be a problem and so long as they are told when they come to visit then no prob wouldn't you say??????????

Lottie
20-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I know it's more money :rolleyes:... But what about putting a stairgate at the top of the stairs too and that way you can keep the 3 year just outside the bedrrom, for example, with a book. That way she is very close to you but you can still deal with the baby. Just throwing out idea's... :D

sarah707
20-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I think bubbly was more worried about taking a baby upstairs while leaving one downstairs / dragging her up with her... but I have added into my permissions a little bit about where children sleep (as well as buggy) after someone on here was inspected recently and was told she should have this permission from parents... a*** covering gone mad! :rolleyes:

bubbly
20-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes, Sarah's right. My main concern is actually getting the girl up the stairs without falling down, whilst carrying baby at the same time.

The girl thinks stairs are to be jumped off and that I'm supposed to read her mind and catch her :eek: . I fear we'd all end up in a heap at the bottom.

Celine, if I could sleep baby downstairs I would but the layout of my house doesn't make it possible. If I had a separate dining room I'd put him in there but I don't. The girl has behaviour issues and spends a large part of the day attention seeking and screaming. She can also talk the hind leg off a donkey! The baby wouldn't stand a chance of sleeping through that. I have no choice but to sleep him upstairs.

miffy
20-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Don't forget though that Ofsted may ask you what you are doing to help the child's gross motor development if you have noticed that she is unsteady on the stairs - I know but they may well throw that at you.

As someone said - so much *rse covering now :eek:

miffy xx

bubbly
20-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Don't forget though that Ofsted may ask you what you are doing to help the child's gross motor development if you have noticed that she is unsteady on the stairs - I know but they may well throw that at you.

As someone said - so much *rse covering now :eek:

miffy xx

I will tell them that we practice at the park on the swings, slides and climbing frames when baby is safely strapped in the buggy :D :laughing:

miffy
20-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I think you will "pass" with flying colours :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

miffy xx

bubbly
20-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I think you will "pass" with flying colours :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

miffy xx

:blush: :blush: :blush:

donnahay0
20-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Sounds like you have now covered every possible situation and are well prepared for the dreaded ofsted inspector. Well done, another tick off your check list.