PDA

View Full Version : Home study

Francesca
11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd noticed on my assessed risk (RSA) that I had been marked a 2 as I don't have any ongoing staff training, the main reason being my husband works shifts and as manager he gets called in, usually when I am suppose to be on a course, I missed the child protection last year and though I don't resent the £10 missed it does mean signing up for those courses are pointless for me.

So I was looking into an online course, equivalent to the NVQ level 4. Child Psychology and wondered what others thoughts were on this.

I do fully support the need for continued learning where possible, but don't want to be penalised for it either because my current family situation isn't great for it.

Many thanks in advance

Francesca

pandora1
24-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Francesca

Home study is a great idea for those who can't access training outside the home. Learning comes in all shapes and sizes, I would even see getting information through sites such as these as good learning oportunities. The important bit is to find relevant courses and learning oportunities which help to improve your own practice. Maybe your local child protection agency has learning materials, which you can get for free.....may be worth giving them a call. I would also ask your local Childcare Information Service if they know about any courses or training available.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

sarah707
24-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I do some courses online because I'd rather choose the time I do them than give up a Saturday.

I did my update to safeguarding recently and I did food hygiene a while ago.

It's fine so long as CC are ok about it - so I would check with your inspector first.

Level 4 courses are usually a year long and very in-depth though! I'd look for a level 2 if you just want to update your knowledge.

Hth :D

rickysmiths
24-02-2011, 09:21 PM
If you want to access Home Learning for Child Protection you might like to have a look at this course.

http://shop.*************/online-safeguarding-training-1385-0.html

Francesca
28-02-2011, 02:39 PM
thank you for the replies... I just really want to update my info, though in fairness as my youngest starts school this year I am looking to perhaps do a course around childcare in some way to return to outside work in a few years.

Still thinking things through to be honest.

Francesca