PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor playmats - any good?

mrsbonnet
09-02-2011, 10:27 PM
As I'm only using a paved patio area for my CM, I'd like to make it softer and have seen those coloured interlocking playmat squares for sale in large quantities.

How do they fare if left down outside for a while? Will they curl up and become a risk? I was thinking of covering the majority of the patio with them.

Doofuz
10-02-2011, 06:23 AM
I was planning on getting these as I also have only a patio area. My dad has them for my brother and he has them inside, puts them on the balcony every day but brings them back in. Having seen them outside at nursery, I noticed that they get dirty easily, due to rain, being trod on etc. I think I might still do it though, it would be nice to have somewhere softer to sit for picnics, puzzles and books outside etc. I saw some at a carboot sale a couple of weeks ago, I am annoyed now as my husband pulled me away...

mama2three
10-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I like the outdoor carpets from tts and the like , but too expensive:(

mrsbonnet
10-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I like the outdoor carpets from tts and the like , but too expensive:(

Ooh, they are nice...

I'll do a bit more research on the foam mats, I have seen 32'sq for about £20 so might be worth a go.

kindredspirits
10-02-2011, 10:15 AM
i've got the coloured squares as my garden is all patio - they blow up easily in the wind so often need relaying - they are all a sort of gray colour having been bleeched by the sun fairly quickly and they are very very slippery when wet BUT fantastic for around the slide and climbing cube as I have had a number of falls (head first) and no damage which they would have definately got from falling onto direct patio - oh and my guinea pigs chew up the edges. :laughing:

miss mopple
10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Costco do the foam mats nice and cheap :thumbsup:

Milli147
10-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I bought them on ebay last year, and they stayed down all summer - the bonus was when I took them up the patio was bright and clean as it had killed off all the mossy stuff!!:laughing:
I had things like the sandpit and water table etc on it, positioned carefully so the wind didn't get under it.
I just hosed them down each evening and they were fine. Made a good inside/outside-ness area!

Louise317
10-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I was wondering the same :)

I have been given foam mats from a close friend.... think they be great for the summer and taking a few to the park for picnic's.

Good to know that if left outside they would survive :)

Louise x

miffy
10-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Tesco do alphabet and number ones (more like a jigsaw) that are cheap and cheerful - haven't used them outside so don't know if they'd last long.

Miffy xx

sillysausage
10-02-2011, 12:32 PM
These look good and probably more appropriate to an outdoor area than smaller mats with numbers and alphabet letters in them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KIDS-PLAY-MAT-INTERLOCKING-SOFT-FOAM-LANDING-SAFETY-/150553895866?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness _Fitness_Accessories_ET&var=&hash=item68c7344a45

Louise0208
10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
i have those ones :D

there great but very slippy when wet .....and my dog likes to chew them :blush: :blush: no idea why, he doesnt chew anything apart from the mats so i have to take them in of an evening!

Mouse
10-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I put some down on the grass last summer and they're still there. My grass gets so muddy & churned up that I was desperate to try something. I have lots of non-walkers so I needed them to be able to get outside without it looking as if they'd had a mud bath :laughing:

I found the colours faded really quickly, but that didn't really matter. They cleaned down quite easily with a hose & have lasted well through wind rain & snow. They do get a bit slippery when wet, but not enough to be a problem.

shelbybla
11-02-2011, 03:01 PM
i personally would say they are a fab idea if you get the right ones, I worked in a baby room and we only had a yard area which we could access, the mats were a godsend for toddling and they are so easily cleaned.... (bung them in a dishwasher on very low temp wash then back outside to dry.)

~Grasshopper~
11-02-2011, 08:57 PM
hi
i wouldnt recommend them, we had the ones with letters and numbers in last summer on the patio and they were so slippy when they got damp underneath and i also read a report recently about them being toxic. they also kept blowing away

http://www.euronews.net/2010/12/11/belgium-bans-toxic-children-s-puzzle-mats/

xx