PDA

View Full Version : New Diploma- how fast?

Helcatt
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I wsa talking to a new minder in our area and she is talking about doing the new Diploma

She called up enquiring about starting in Sept and they said that she should enrol now and start now (today) as funding is going.

She was also told she would be done by the 6 week holiday?

Can you really get through it in 5 months? She was told it has been made easier - is this right?

I'm feeling a bit sick about the amount of effort I put in to my level 3 over 18 months if it can be done so easily now

And does that mean it is "as good" a qualification?

Hx

xdirtydancerx
07-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh gosh. I don't know. I've just applied at my local(ish) college and I'm sure it stated that it was much longer to do than that. Will let you know if I hear anything though

Lil chicken
07-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Hello

No the new diploma will take 12-18 months. There is 12 months of 'teaching' so going off to college etc then you get another 6months to finish off your evidence file etc. Its very like the NVQ, and Diploma in Home based childcare. Really not that much difference.

They are cutting funding from April in a lot of areas, so if a bursary is available then its probably worth starting now.

rickysmiths
07-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I went on an information evening last week. Our EY are funding 30 people through the new Diploma and we have to start before the end of March to get the funding from the LA. It will take a min of 12 months and up to 14mths.

I don't see how starting in March you could hope to complete it before the 6 week summer holiday. That only gives you 3/4 months. There are at least 12 written assignments. We will be attending college one Sat a month from 10am to 4pm for 12 months.

The tutors have to do an initial visit to your place of work (our home) to assess if it is a safe work place! Then there are 4 observation assessment visits as well to observe you with a variety of ages of children.

julie w
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
If you have done your level 3, do you need to do your diploma? Isn't it basically the same thing?

thinktink
07-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi, I was told that it will take me 12 months to do as a homestudy with one study day a month - would love to finish it earlier but don't think I'd manage it anyhow with my workload/kiddywinks.

:blush:

rickysmiths
07-02-2011, 07:48 PM
If you have done your level 3, do you need to do your diploma? Isn't it basically the same thing?

If you already have an NVQ in Childcare then you don't need to do another qualification.

Mcgons
07-02-2011, 09:42 PM
If you're talking about the level 3 diploma for children and the young peoples work force, I started mine in Nov and I don't attend college as my tutor comes out to me (and it does say in the qualification specification it is available for those in full time employment who require little or no formal learning). She has also said I can do it as quick as I want so I was aiming for the 6 week hols (:panic: ), but think it may take longer.

Helcatt
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
If you're talking about the level 3 diploma for children and the young peoples work force, I started mine in Nov and I don't attend college as my tutor comes out to me (and it does say in the qualification specification it is available for those in full time employment who require little or no formal learning). She has also said I can do it as quick as I want so I was aiming for the 6 week hols (:panic: ), but think it may take longer.

This is the thing - it seems an awful lot of work to me, to get through so quickly and I was wondering if this new "qualification" could really be the same level as what I have (or will have when I pull my finger out and hand in my final assignment)

Doubt I'll be doing it, not at the best part of £2K

Hx

Mcgons
08-02-2011, 06:48 AM
This is the thing - it seems an awful lot of work to me, to get through so quickly and I was wondering if this new "qualification" could really be the same level as what I have (or will have when I pull my finger out and hand in my final assignment)

Hx

You wouldn't need to do it though if you already have a level 3.

It is a lot if work, I'm doing it all the time, but I don't attend college so I can try and complete it in a shorter amount of time. It might take longer though, and I'm not bothered if it does, as long as I do well. :)

Helcatt
08-02-2011, 10:16 AM
You wouldn't need to do it though if you already have a level 3.

I was only thinking "what ifs" as I've done the DHC and that doesn't cover me if I do decide later that I want to work in a nursery - highly unlikely anyway

And long term? I'll do the degree so balances out in the long run!

HX

rickysmiths
08-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Hx

Yes it is the same level as your ' qualification' and in fact replaces the old CCLD NVQ Level 3 which no longer exists. You will have a deadline to finish yours and I would have thought it sensible to do so. Otherwise you will have wasted all your hard work.

It is un likely that anyone will be allowed or able to complete the new Diploma in less than a year. You have to have at least 4 visits to observe you in your workplace fpor a start, from what we were told last week these are spread out over a year anyway. Beacuse of the structure of the course, it is an Apprenteship, it will also not be able to be done entirely online visits to the workplace form paret of the final points.