PDA

View Full Version : outside loo advice...any one know?

WibbleWobble
07-02-2011, 07:30 AM
I have an outside loo, (i have an inside one too...) and its less than useless really. No one uses it (hubby used to sit on it to have a smoke when he was a smoker but as he gave up 4 years ago)

Its attached to the house and would make an ideal place to put a big freezer in and possibly an outside sink for dirty mitts.

How do we cap the loo off....we want to remove the loo and not really sure how we will do this. Read about a flange type thing to cap it, some say putting down paper and topping with cement (which sounds a bit dodgy to me)

any one done this before?

what did you do?

mandy xxxx

Toothfairy
07-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Hubby and I are hopeless at DIY so we got builders in to do ours.
They took the loo out, bricked up the doorway and opened up a new doorway from the kitchen side. It made a huge cupboard which we keep the washing machine in, the gas boiler and all my pots, pans and junk.

Sorry I'm not much help. :)

PixiePetal
07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't go with the paper and cement route but take advice from someone who knows - sorry that is not me!

we have an outside loo which we do use - in the summer anyway, bit windy and cold just now :rolleyes:

sarah707
07-02-2011, 08:34 AM
We had ours plastered and painted and put some heating in!

It's fab to have a downstairs toilet saves the little ones (and me) dashing up and down stairs :D

mama2three
07-02-2011, 08:38 AM
We had one at the last house - was brilliant in the summer for the boys out playing , no trapsing through the house etc.... I miss it!
not any help regarding capping it off though , but always smile at the word 'flange'!!:blush:

LOOPYLISA
07-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Hubs would know, hes out at the mo, will ask him and be back :thumbsup:

jane5
07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I have 3 out buildings just out side my backdoor. 1 has a loo, 1 has a sink but it is broken and one is a cupboard. I would looovve to have them attached to the house and have them converted into a loo, shower room and utility room.

Have no pennies to do it:(

The Juggler
09-02-2011, 05:35 PM
we had one in our downstairs bathroom at our old house and we took it out. hubby is a bit handy but as I remember it's not so difficult to cap it off. may just be a bit different (i.e. more regulations) if you are planning to have food storage on top of where it sat.

Why don't you check with the local planning about regs (even though you don't need planning permission) and with the environmental health team?

sweets
09-02-2011, 05:37 PM
we had one in our downstairs bathroom at our old house and we took it out. hubby is a bit handy but as I remember it's not so difficult to cap it off. may just be a bit different (i.e. more regulations) if you are planning to have food storage on top of where it sat.

Why don't you check with the local planning about regs (even though you don't need planning permission) and with the environmental health team?

i had visions of someone using a loo seat as a food prep area then! :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
09-02-2011, 10:51 PM
i had visions of someone using a loo seat as a food prep area then! :laughing: :laughing:

why, doesn't everyone else do that:huh: :laughing: