PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessment for every type of outing?

nic t
06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi

Am I right in thinking that we need one risk assessment for each type of outing that we undertake?

Eg if I visit three different ballpits do I just need one to cover ballpits as a general and then add on anything specific for an individual one, which is my understanding. Or do I have to have three seperate, titled risk assessments for each individual place? Same question for libraries?

Thanks!

sarah707
07-02-2011, 07:48 AM
The Eyfs paperwork says that you need risk assessments for every type of outing... so yes one general risk assessment for ball pits.

HOWEVER if you read Ofsted reports then you will see inspectors are looking for more specific risk assessments than this.

For example, a childminder local to me was downgraded because the inspector read she had visited xx venue in a child's paperwork and then looked for a RA but the childminder had only done a general one rather than one specific to that venue.

This particular inspector was hot on RAs and also said she expected to see a travel RA for the route of each outing.

Don't forget to put your name (as the person who wrote the RA), the date of writing and the review date on every RA.

Hth :D

miffy
07-02-2011, 07:52 AM
I agree with what Sarah's said.

Here is the Ofsted fact sheet for RA's

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Requirements-for-risk-assessments

If you get a picky inspector like Sarah's friend then quote that at them!

Miffy xx

Penny1959
07-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Totally agree with having one generic RA for each tpye of place visited - if any of the places you visit has a specific known risk write in into your generic one.

If any unknown risks occur during a visit make a note of it and what you did about it (I do this in my diary)

Penny