PDA

View Full Version : Taking a deposit

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Hello,

After being messed around one time too many over the last couple of months by silly people who enjoy wasting my time apparently (:angry: ) I have decided to charge a deposit when they sign contracts so that Im not left out of pocket if they suddenly pull out.

Im wondering if anyone else does this, and what they base the amount of the deposit on, becaues I havent got a clue where to start but want to implement this new policy asap.

Will look forward to your replies,
Sx

oakie dokie
18-12-2007, 01:52 PM
hi, yes i have charged a deposit befor, a weeks fee or £100, but thats to come off the fees,:)

hazelx

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Ah, thats a good idea Hazel.

I was thinking that they can have the money off their fees, but only after the settling period, and then it would be staggard.

Is that the sort of thing you do?

Your pic reminds me of the baby from Roger Rabbit, btw!!

Sx

angeldelight
18-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I usually have a deposit

Depends what their weekly fee is going to be

I sometimes have half but sometimes they offer all of the first week

Sometimes parents are a bit put off until they realise it is going to come off their first week fee anyway

Depends too how long you are going to keep the place open in which case you might prefer to ask for a retainer fee

I only have ask for a deposit though

Angel xx

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah - thats the thing, I dont want to scare people away, but at the same time I have just held a place for three weeks, turning away two other families in the meantime, only for the woman to phone the day before she starts and say she doesnt want the place after all! ARGGH! Its not the first time its happened, and I want to put off time wasters.

Oh its so tricky!! When I first started minding my business brain was in full gear. My Policies and Procedures from that time look all proffessional and that...now Im more concerned with playing and whatever...my minds turned to mush!!!

Sx

angeldelight
18-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Haha I am still like that after all these years

I do not like to put people off either but it is your business and you have got to do what you have got to do

You can not be expected to keep a place without some sort of deposit it would be unfair

Plus like you say if they do not come back you could have lost another child

Good luck with whatever you decide

Angel xx

oakie dokie
18-12-2007, 04:22 PM
hi again, i have never sort of asked for that amount it sort of come about in the conversation with parent, and it has always come off the days i have them befor full contract starts like their settling in period. once i did charge half fee for when the place came available but they were not ready for it but they have all been happy to do that.

hazelx

ruby
18-12-2007, 04:25 PM
hi

never had this happen to me had some who made appointments to see us and then didn't show which is also annoying but i think maybe you should think about charging a deposit and if it is coming off their first bill then i can't see anyone objecting.

cathy

susi513
19-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I take a months deposit, which I keep til they leave, to cover the notice period. (have had problems in past and ended up writing off some of the payment owed me).

So far, no-ones raised an eyebrow at this request, I was worried some might find this hard to pay on top of the advance payment. I am willing to negotiate instalments if needed.

I've put in my contract that a place is not reserved until we've signed contracts and the deposit fee has cleared to my account (had a deposit fee cheque bounce once).

son77
19-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I charged a retainer fee for a place that was being kept open for 6 weeks & parents didn't bat an eye lid.

That way if you have to turn others away you are not completely out of pocket.

If they are to start fairly soon I think a deposit is fair, maybe that way they will keep to their word & not cancel last minute.

LittleMissSparkles
19-12-2007, 02:02 PM
on signing contracts I charge a months deposit to cover their 4 week termination at the end of contracts and if for a long period a retainer fee, everyone of my parents has been ok with this. The Retainer fee is non refundable if they cancel the contract before it starts as that is to keep their place they have asked for x

Banana
29-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I charge a retainer fee which is half their weekly fee for how ever many weeks they want the place held for.

I dont do a deposit Just the reatainer.

xxx

barbarella68
13-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi,
I am new to this so here goes.
I have looked after a family of 3 children for 2 years now and all of a sudden last week the mother wanted to swap one of her contracted days (wed) to a (Thurs).Her husband had wed off so decide to look after children himself .When I gave her the bill I charged her for Tues,Wed which are her contracted days and Thurs which was the extra day,and she said that as she had swopped her Wed to Thurs she couldn't understand why I had charged her for Wed as the children hadn't been looked after by me.In my contract it states that days not used must be paid for.Now I feel really awkward and bad as I have looked after them so long,Did I do the right thing ?
Alyson

Trouble
13-01-2008, 10:56 PM
a retainer is better you dont have to give it back if they dont turn up:clapping:

Schnakes
14-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Barbarella - I would expect to be given four weeks notice for a change to contract (and I would expect to give it). If they havent givwen you notice I would charge for the next four weeks, explaining why. But if the change is contractual then they arent not using a day. If that makes sense?

Sx

angeldelight
14-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Alyson

Yes you did do the right thing

This parent can not make up her own rules - what a damn cheek

You are correct and do not feel guilty about having the pay - they are your rules and you worked an extra day
Not your fault that they changed the days

You stick to it and do not back down

Angel xx

LittleMissSparkles
14-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I am new to this so here goes.
I have looked after a family of 3 children for 2 years now and all of a sudden last week the mother wanted to swap one of her contracted days (wed) to a (Thurs).Her husband had wed off so decide to look after children himself .When I gave her the bill I charged her for Tues,Wed which are her contracted days and Thurs which was the extra day,and she said that as she had swopped her Wed to Thurs she couldn't understand why I had charged her for Wed as the children hadn't been looked after by me.In my contract it states that days not used must be paid for.Now I feel really awkward and bad as I have looked after them so long,Did I do the right thing ?
Alyson

yes i would have done to, i would have asked her for 4 weeks written notice of her request to change her days and done a new contract with her at that point, therefore paying for 4 extra days then begining a new contract with new days iyswim xxx

LittleMissSparkles
14-01-2008, 10:29 AM
yes i would have done to, i would have asked her for 4 weeks written notice of her request to change her days and done a new contract with her at that point, therefore paying for 4 extra days then begining a new contract with new days iyswim xxx

sorry didnt read tha properly did i ... was it just a one off change to days ???? I would have still charged her for the extra day as you say she is contracted to the other 3 so needs to pay for them regardless plus the extra day ......

Blaze
14-01-2008, 10:47 AM
on signing contracts I charge a months deposit to cover their 4 week termination at the end of contracts and if for a long period a retainer fee, everyone of my parents has been ok with this. The Retainer fee is non refundable if they cancel the contract before it starts as that is to keep their place they have asked for x

Same (ish)!
Tasha:)

Blaze
14-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Agree with everyone else...you did the right thing!
Tasha:)

Schnakes
14-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh no - I misread it too!

Yeah - you were totally right to charge!!! :D

Sx

barbarella68
14-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi me again,
Thanks everybody for your support.I now know that I was right and don't feel guilty now.I have a mortgage and and a child to support and I am not in it just for love.I have had no trouble in my childminding in the 3 years I have been doing it and just this week I have had 2 problems with different parents,just this morning one of the mums said she did not think it was on that I charged her for xmas day and boxing day I explained they are bank holidays and on the contract it states these will be paid for but she said she didn't care about the contract as it was xmas I should not have charged,but I stuck to my guns and told her she would find it difficult to find a childminder that didn't do that and she had signed the contract and agreed with it at the time.I am seriously finding it difficult to keep carrying on with childminding(paperwork and all that)but parents sometimes take the biscuit,the kids are fine, parents yuk.
Alyson

deeb66
14-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Well done for sticking to your guns - hopefully she will think again before she changes the days around and messes you around again!!!

SonnysMummy
10-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm really confused about deposits and retainers!!!:panic:
If someone wanted a place holding which would i use? I have taken if it's a short period-deposit and longer...retainer. But what's a short period and what's longer? Is there a cut of point you have?
Also, would i charge everyone a deposit? What's the benefit of having a deposit over the notice period? Sorry if i'm being think!!!

I think i understand about retainers for school hols and maternity period. I think i'll charge half fees. Does this sound right?

Kelly:)

Lou
10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm really confused about deposits and retainers!!!:panic:
If someone wanted a place holding which would i use? I have taken if it's a short period-deposit and longer...retainer. But what's a short period and what's longer? Is there a cut of point you have?
Also, would i charge everyone a deposit? What's the benefit of having a deposit over the notice period? Sorry if i'm being think!!!

I think i understand about retainers for school hols and maternity period. I think i'll charge half fees. Does this sound right?

Kelly:)

Yes a retainer fee is a fee that you would charge if the place was available to be used and the parent wanted it keeping open.........

for example if you took someone on who wanted care from sept, and you had the space now and were keeping it for them you would be entitled to charge a retainer fee as you would be not earning otherwise from them, but then you must be avialable if you are charging.

If you had a child leaving in sept and the were taking on a new one for sept you would charge a deposit as you dont actually have the space do you see what i mean??

Sorry i have had a few glasses of wine so i hope that makes sense x