PDA

View Full Version : HELP I'M STRUGGLING

dizzy01
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Hi there,

I have been a minder for a while now first registered in Nov 2003 but I am struggling to get to grips with the whole EYFS thing. After reading many posts about it I feel that I am the only minder in the country who is not doing her job properly. I just feel like I am drowning in a sea of paperwork but I'm not getting anywhere. I'm just about ready to chuck it all in. Anyone else feel the same?? Or am I really the only one?? :-(:( :(

Cammie Doodle
04-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Oh bless, take a deep breath and relax. Right a bit of advise I have been there and felt that way often and still do from time to time :blush: but it is usually when Im tired . I have spent most of today catching up with paperwork (it was not as bad as I had been dreading lol) I think the secret to it all is keep it simple and straight to the point , ok I'm not outstanding according to Ofsted but I got a good and I'm happy with that.

dizzy01
04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your response. I think the main problem I have like others is finding the time. I have three boys 10, 6, and 2 1/2 and mind full time as well. I have an 8 month old who only started this week and is not settling at all and has spent all week crying :-(. I start at 7am finish at 6pm etc etc etc. I done an observation today with another little one so I have an idea of what I am meant to be doing. I am beginning to panic as my inspection is long over due and I know they are going to call me any day now with little or no warning. I have most other things in place i.e. contracts, permission slips, CRF's, etc but with so many minders putting in so much effort and hard work with the EYFS and yet i am here struggling with the basics. I know I have it in me to be at least GOOD but what do I need to do other than the basics. Another thing I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old both in full time school 3 afternoons a week one from 3 til 5 and the other 3 til 6. What do Ofsted expect me to have in place for them? Sooooo sorry to prattle on but just lost totally lost :-( Please help x

nic t
05-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Aw hun.

There is some great advice on here but is there someone like a local co-ordinator or someone from your local authority that can come round and help you out?

You need to take it one step at a time and first of all focus on the specific areas that you need to be doing rather than should be.

I am by no means an expert so I'm sure that somebody else will come along with some better advice than me!

Have you got an EYFS pack? Go through the statuatory requirements that are in there. For example:

Risk assessments for your house and garden
Risk Assessments for outings and trips
Make sure that you have a Safeguarding children policy containing what you would do if you suspected abuse or if somebody in your house was accused.
Permission slips
Are all accidents and medication dealings recorded?
Is your reg certificate displayed?
Have a folder or section for complaints(even if you haven't had any) and know what to do if you did have a complaint(and that parents are aware of this)
Are you displaying the latest Ofsted Complaints poster?

If you are due an inspection soon these are the areas that I would focus on along with getting to grips with the 6 areas of learning from the EYFS.

You've begun to do observations which is great! You can follow on with some planning and then maybe nest steps. These don't have to be all singing and all dancing and take you hours! Also maybe take a photos of the activity. Only takes a second!

As I said I'm sure that people will come and give you some better advice but I hope that helps abit.

As for them coming soon, well who knows? I have just gone 4 years and 3 months between inspections!

dizzy01
06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi again,

Well reading your list of things to do, the only thing that I have not done on that is the Risk Assessments. I have got them to fill out. I done a couple in the past for things like my dog and no kitchen door (I saw this as a hazzard and as we live in a council house I phoned them immediately and requested that they fit one straight away, which they did). Maybe I am not as bad as I seem to think I am. I have done a risk assessment course and also health and safety. I also done a food hygiene course and one for safeguarding children. I attended all the EYFS ones that our early years department laid on and regularly attend courses, its just the observation side that I am struggling with. I have arranged a meeting with my early years key worker who is going to come to visit me on the 14th feb to look over my paperwork and make sure that it is in order. I display Ofsted certificate, insurance, first aid, safeguarding, basic food hygiene and risk assessment certs. I have all the others in a folder ready to show parents (although I am proud of them parents are never really interested). I will spend the next week concentrating on Risk assessments and observations. The planning bit has got me lost a little too :-( I can but try but if i get a call from Ofsted I will just have to be honest. thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. :-)

nic t
09-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Def make the Risk Assessments your priority then. They are a legal requirement and they will def want to see them.

Make sure you put your name on them, I got pulled up at my recent inspection for not doing this! :rolleyes:

charlie potato
09-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I have found Sarahs ebooks a massive help. If you nosey around the forum you'll find the link to her website. Theres a post on at the moment from a happy customer. xx