PDA

View Full Version : do i or dont i for obs and planning.

debbie
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
i have just taken on a child of 3 1/2 years at play school every morning . goes to another childminder 2 days a week. child is at mine for about 3 hours 1 day a week just fills a gap for me. in that time they come back from play school have lunch play and normally within an hour sound a sleep. how would any of you deal with this for obs and planning. play school are planning and observing other child minder the same. do i need to do any of these. if not is there a way of putting this into a letter for parent to sign and cover myself at same time for ofsted.

Mrs.L.C
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I would speak to parent and if they seem ok that you dont do obs as well as the other providers are already doing so then just wrote a consnt type form to say they are happy that you dont do the obs and the reason why

sarah707
03-02-2011, 06:22 PM
You must show evidence of the child's time with you - it's required.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is put together a routine showing how the child's session with you meets the Eyfs :D

Daftbat
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
As I understand EYFS you HAVE to treat every child the same regardless of how many hours they are with you or what other providers are involved in their care. It doesn't ahve to be reems of stuff but a basic apporach showing your awareness and how you are supporting their development whilst they are with you.

Louise B
04-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I have all part-time kids and sometimes don't get much time at home while they're awake or not eating. I try to use the journeys to and from school as a means to do 'activities'. We've talked about the milkman and where milk comes from, and from that we've talked about farms, etc. We've also done a mini treasure hunt around the village on the way to playschool (spot the chemist, how many ducks are on the brook, etc). So although they're not exactly sit-down activities at home, you can still observe their reactions and plan to further their development.

Hope I'm doing the right thing, lol ;) xx

debbie
04-02-2011, 01:57 PM
like the idea of talking about things on way home but i live 3 doors away from the preschool so not much chance there.

Mrs.L.C
04-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I am sure you will take photos at some point while they are with you and they might do a drawing or other kind of picture that you could put in a small scrap book...more like a keep sake for when they leave. That should also cover you and you will have a sort of routine for them which you can tell Ofsted

Daftbat
04-02-2011, 04:56 PM
like the idea of talking about things on way home but i live 3 doors away from the preschool so not much chance there.

If you have the child for 3 hours a week then there should be plenty of opportunity to do obs, planning etc. I have a child for two sessions of 3 hours a week and I do plenty with him. Perhaps you are looking for too much detail or trying to plan things that are too comlicated. Structured play alongside a short activity - perhaps even every other week will be all that you really need to do.

debbie
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
like i said they have lunch and then sleep til mum picks up

Allie
05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Don't forget lunch is a learning opportunity eg
PSRN shapes of sandwiches, counting out plates etc,
CLL chatting about the child's day
KUW looking at the different foods, where did it come from?
Physical cutting up food during preparation
PSE interacting with you and the other children present, taking turns etc
Creative make a picture from the food eg boat from sandwiches Ok I'm struggling a bit here, but you get the idea

Lots of scope for observations on all the above add a few snaps and remember a child who only attends a short time is not going to have a big file like a full timer

Allie