PDA

View Full Version : baby not settling

jake
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Has anyone got any tips or advice,iv got a 12 month old boy and a 15 month old girl.The youngest started last week and the older one this week and she has settled in very well already but the youngest is crying constantly.Iv tried my best but everything i do sets him of and hes very timid and even cries when i cough bless him.To be honest im struggling as they both need my constant attention(naturally) but i feel that the one who has settled in is suffering because im constantly trying to comfort him.He wont eat much at all and im struggling to get him to drink! Any advice will be very helpfull.
Thanks guys jake

jane5
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I had this with my nephew for a few days, even though he knows and loves me and never had a problem when I looked after him before.

I think he was missing his mum, going from being there all of the time to working full time. It wasn't a reflection on how he felt about me.

I had to spend all my time cuddling him, soothing him and lots of love until he adjusted to mum going to work. He was fine after a couple of days but it was hard work.

Just accept that you will have to spend all of your time being very patient and giving him lots of comfort and hope he adjusts soon.

Lots on here have had this situation and although it is hard work and can last weeks (or some months) it usually ends up ok.

I hope it works out:thumbsup:

kats
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I started minding a little girl over a year ago now, she was 6 months old when she came to me. We did lots of settling in sessions she was very unsettled but i thought that once she started coming to me every day she would settle down, she didnt!! For 2 full weeks she cried non stop, the only time she did stop was when she slept, she wouldnt eat and she was very distressed. I was just at the point of saying to mum that i didnt think it was going to work out when as if by magic she turned up one day and didnt cry and from that day on she has been fine. She has been with me for 16 months now and she is adorable, im so glad i didnt give up on her, when i look at her now i cant believe shes the same little girl who cried for 2 weeks solid. Its really hard for you and the others that you mind but dont give up im sure it will work out :)

sillysausage
03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm afraid some children take a lot longer to settle than others. Whilst it can be worrying and difficult, I personally would not consider it to be a real issue until they'd been with me for a month. 12 months is a difficult time for babies and separation anxiety

louised
03-02-2011, 03:40 PM
I recently had a new starter who took 10 weeks to settle with me. She was 8 and a half months when she started with me and cried unless she was eating or sleeping, it gradually got better, i think i stuck it out so long because the money was a large part of my income

jake
04-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys,his mum has decided to take him out and let grandma look after him iv told her that he would settle eventually but its her decision.Im gutted but im getting more enquiries and sure the place will be filled soon.
Thanks jake:)

wendy222
04-02-2011, 09:42 AM
hi have a 15 month old boy iv had him about 3 months and still crys alday on and of dont no how much longer i can keep him lol

jake
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Wendy222 i take my hat of to you as i dont know if i could do it for 3 months,and some of you have had this for even longer periods.You must all have the patience of saints!!
Jake :clapping: