PDA

View Full Version : level 3 diploma

jake
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I know that its going to be a requirement by 2015,and at the moment im still doing stuff for my portfolio and have just had two new mindees start with me last week.Im worried that if i start it im going to feel a bit snowed under with everything.Would ofsted be ok if i delay doing the course just for a few months,or should i just get on with it?Iv only been registered since june last year,and started minding in september. Thanks jake:)

littlemiracles
03-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Jake, Im in a similar position to yourself. I have decided to wait until September before starting the level 3 Diploma as still settling into it all ( only registered in Oct last year) I was advised that as long as you have it in your plans to do then Ofsted will be more than happy.

Good luck with it all mate, look forward to hearing how you get on :thumbsup:

xdirtydancerx
03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I keep asking my DO what the course title is so I can apply but she just tells me "I'll find out"

This has been happening since November. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

littlemiracles
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I keep asking my DO what the course title is so I can apply but she just tells me "I'll find out"

This has been happening since November. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Its called the level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce

HTH

xdirtydancerx
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Its called the level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce

HTH

Aww thank you. That's the one I kept looking at but there was a different one that was alsp level 3 and I thought it might be that if I applied for the first one lol :laughing:

I will ring college tomorrow now. Thanks again :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I know that its going to be a requirement by 2015,and at the moment im still doing stuff for my portfolio and have just had two new mindees start with me last week.Im worried that if i start it im going to feel a bit snowed under with everything.Would ofsted be ok if i delay doing the course just for a few months,or should i just get on with it?Iv only been registered since june last year,and started minding in september. Thanks jake:)

Personally I wouldn't worry about the 2015 deadline. They are never going to get all existing childminders doing an NVQ and so they will keep moving the goal posts. It was going to be 2010 and it gradually moved and moved.

It may be a requirement for new childminders.

What are they going to do to existing minders who don't have it? Sack them, stop them working? There would be an uproar to be honest. Unless it could be proven that the care you were giving children was substandard and harmful in some way because you don't have an 'A' Level in Childcare, I don't see how they can enforce it.

acorns
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM

It's not a requirement as yet, more of a 'good practice' as is all training. I have no intention of doing the childrens and young peoples workforce due to family circumstances & work, oh and the cost of almost £2000, which since I won't earn any more by doing it I really can't see the point of it. Not having a level 3 has not stopped any parents coming to me. I do attend all the relevant courses run by the local early years & do intend to undetake some shorter distance learning courses (all in my sef) and my inspector was quite happy with this.

littlemiracles
03-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Personally I wouldn't worry about the 2015 deadline. They are never going to get all existing childminders doing an NVQ and so they will keep moving the goal posts. It was going to be 2010 and it gradually moved and moved.

What are they going to do to existing minders who don't have it? Sack them, stop them working? There would be an uproar to be honest. Unless it could be proven that the care you were giving children was substandard and harmful in some way because you don't have an 'A' Level in Childcare, I don't see how they can enforce it.

I have been thinking about this as well and the only way i think they can enforce it would be to refuse registration without a level 3 qualification. As you say though it would cause uproar and could cause a lot of childminders to start working un-registered. It will be interesting to see what happens!

rickysmiths
03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I have been thinking about this as well and the only way i think they can enforce it would be to refuse registration without a level 3 qualification. As you say though it would cause uproar and could cause a lot of childminders to start working un-registered. It will be interesting to see what happens!

No I think they will if it isn't now, a requirement for all newly registering cms and that fine.

Its all us existing ones. i don't see how they can expect us to pay upward of £2000 for a qualification.

Helcatt
03-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I jumped straight in to doing it and tbh? I have found it really hard going.

I do have little ones of my own aswell, so is hard to find the time.

I think I would have been better off getting my head around all the basic paperwork and settling in to a pattern with obs/planning etc before then adding an extra level of stress to my days/weeks

HX

jake
04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Yes helcatt thats what iv decided,and i dont have the money to do it yet anyway.Think im going to look at some other shorter cheaper courses,can anyone advise me on what courses i could be looking at?
Thanks jake:)

littlemiracles
04-02-2011, 05:08 PM
No I think they will if it isn't now, a requirement for all newly registering cms and that fine.

Its all us existing ones. i don't see how they can expect us to pay upward of £2000 for a qualification.

Wow! Is that how much the course costs? At my local college it was £650 for the CCLD NVQ that i did last year. I presumed it would be more or less the same price for the new course. I will take a look when the new prospectus comes out later this year. Also if you get housing benefit, JSA or income support in our area then you get some or all of the £650 paid. I wonder if that will still bethe same after April :rolleyes:

littlemiracles
04-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Yes helcatt thats what iv decided,and i dont have the money to do it yet anyway.Think im going to look at some other shorter cheaper courses,can anyone advise me on what courses i could be looking at?
Thanks jake:)

Not sure how it works where you are but in Portsmouth we get a brochure of all the courses available through the council, some are free and some cost (normally around £25) There are such things as Food Safety, Working with 0-2 yr olds, partnership with parents and loads loads more. I have spent the first few months after registration doing some of these either on-line e-courses or at a local training centre. I have also done a professional Development Workshop course which looked at Obs, EYFS, SEF, Policies, Behaviour and Planning. Not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for but might be worth contacting your local Early Years team to see whats on offer where you are.

HTH

ChocolateChip
05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Probably gonna put the cat among the pigeons now but mine is being fully funded :blush:

Had no idea it cost so much- definitely wouldn't have been doing it if I had to pay £2000 :eek:

thinktink
05-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I started the Diploma 3 a couple of months ago and was really lucky to get funding just in the nick of time of the local funding running out.

It is quite a commitment I'm finding as I'm childminding full time now and have 3 young children of my own also - but it's getting the old brain working again and I am starting to enjoy it - she says :)

Does anyone know if there is anywhere on here I can chat to others studying the same course to bounce ideas off?

:)

Chatterbox Childcare
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Our council is funding some and the cost costs £645 at present but wait until the budget cuts

It is a requirement here (thought it was an Ofsted one now for new childminders too) that you have to comit to start the course within a period of time

The qualification is great and is accepted in Europe too

Ripeberry
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM

I'll read up on childcare books if I have to. But on my terms, I'm too old to be doing essays and don't enjoy doing them to be honest. If they ever make it compulsory then I'd have to give up.
I don't have the time or money to do a course full stop :(

ChocolateChip
06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
I started the Diploma 3 a couple of months ago and was really lucky to get funding just in the nick of time of the local funding running out.

It is quite a commitment I'm finding as I'm childminding full time now and have 3 young children of my own also - but it's getting the old brain working again and I am starting to enjoy it - she says :)

Does anyone know if there is anywhere on here I can chat to others studying the same course to bounce ideas off?

Perhaps we can ask Pauline for a CYPW Diploma thread? :D

Tiger Lilly
06-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Great idea...x:clapping:

thinktink
06-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes, that would be fab :jump for joy:

Pauline
08-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Been chatting with Thinktink about this and we have decided the best option would be to make the NVQ section for both NVQ and CYPW as they are so similar, rather than create a whole new section for it.

tidsy tots
08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
hiya.

im just waiting for my registration and were i am from it is a requirement to do a level 3 diploma for the childrens and young peoples workforce (cypop 5).
im not sure if this is the same course, we had to do unit 1 before or within 6 months of registration. it cost £244.00 and was delivered by ncma tutor, we had 3 face to face classes then had to go off and complete it on are own time, i started it in october 2010 we had a deadline to submit by 31 jan 2011.
i was under the impression that we could go on and do the other units if we wanted but was,nt a requirement. to be honest if it takes as long to mark the rest as it is doin this first unit i won,t bother, iv,e been waiting for nearly three months for it to be marked :panic: .

don,t know if thats any use to anyone??????:jump for joy:

sheilat
02-03-2011, 06:00 PM
We have funding for the North East of England to do the course for free.
Tel 0191 5294109 or e mail
sheilaturnbull@teeac.freeserve.co.uk

Leapsters
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM

I need some help with mine, just driving me mad. Cant get my head round it. You got any ideas???

ChocolateChip
04-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Leapsters, which bit do you need help with hun?
There is a thread in the training section for it, you can ask Sarah for the access code!

P.s. thanks for adding it Pauline! :thumbsup: