PDA

View Full Version : Term time only- retainer for holidays?

snufflepuff
01-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I have a parent coming to visit this week who is a teacher. I have just thought that she may want term time only (Although it's only one day a week so she way want LO to still come to me during the holidays). What do you all do about the school holidays? Do you just have a term time only contract or do you charge a half fee retainer in the school holidays?

jelly15
01-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I have a parent coming to visit this week who is a teacher. I have just thought that she may want term time only (Although it's only one day a week so she way want LO to still come to me during the holidays). What do you all do about the school holidays? Do you just have a term time only contract or do you charge a half fee retainer in the school holidays?

I have one parent on a tremtime contract and she pays a half fee retainer in hols :thumbsup:

littletreasures
01-02-2011, 06:43 PM
All my minds are term time only (all parents are teachers).

They pay half fee retainer to hold the place during the holidays. I am lucky they want to spend time with their kids and don't ask me to have them.

Ripeberry
01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I do term-time only with no retainer as I don't want to work in the holidays and my other two jobs are term-time only and pay the difference I would lose from just having half retainer fees.
So I get a higher income but still keep the holidays for my own kids :)

Deb
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I do term-time contracts as I appreciate the time off in the hols. But you could charge a higher rate and bill the same amount monthly.

ie: 3.50/hr term time 1.75 hols for 13 weeks add to 39 weeks and divide by 12 for a mean monthly rate.

acorns
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
I do term-time contracts as I appreciate the time off in the hols. But you could charge a higher rate and bill the same amount monthly.

ie: 3.50/hr term time 1.75 hols for 13 weeks add to 39 weeks and divide by 12 for a mean monthly rate.

I do this, parents always seem happy with it:thumbsup:

MaryMary
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I have some term time contracts, and I don't charge a retainer. It suits me to do it that way. They are 2 boys (same class, different families) and neither of the mum's are teachers. They cover a lot of the holidays with family, days off, etc. I charge them for the hours I have them in the holidays. This suits me because if I had both boys (age 5 & 6 and VERY lively) for 9 hrs, 5 days a week in the hols I would be dead! :panic: 2 hours after school I can cope with :D

You need to do what you are happy to work with :)

Supercakes
03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Hello, I've just been reading the replies to this thread and wondered if anyone can give me some ideas on what to do / charge etc, as I'm new to childminding.

I have parents (both teachers) who would like term time only for their two girls but its only one day a week. The price I've quoted them is a little higher than they expected to pay so we're in negotiations.

Would it be reasonable / the norm to charge a retainer fee (ie half fee) for the holidays or is that a bit unfair as its only one day?

And what would be the best way to explain this to the parents ...?

Mummits
03-02-2011, 10:24 PM
The trouble with charging a retainer is that you have to be willing and able to work if the parents choose to top it up to full fees. So if you want time off in the holidays, you can't charge a retainer for those days/weeks. I don't charge a retainer, but I point out that most do, which is true. I charge a slightly higher rate in term time and take all holidays off without having to worry about being called upon to work,

snufflepuff
04-02-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd be happy to work in the holidays should she need me, so I think i'll suggest half fee retainer with the option of topping up to use the full day when she needs it. Will see what she thinks is best. Wish me luck!

Merry-Minder
07-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I have 1 term time only and another about to start, I charge them both half price retainers during the schol hols with the option to use those days and top up the payment.

I charge full payment x 39 weeks divided by 12 months, then half payment x 13 weeks divided by 12 and add the 2 together for a monthly payment, or they can pay every week as long as either is paid in advance

oh, if they do choose to use a 'retainer' day then I usually require 2 weeks notice, that way I dont end up with children on my door step when I already have plans with my own chidren.
Also I dont negotiate with my prices, I already set mine at a fair rate.

Good luck.xxx