PDA

View Full Version : conjuntivitus...

jmorgan
01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi

can some one tell me where we stand with conjuntivitus please.

Can we still have children who have got it or how long must they stay off??

Thanks
Julie

Pipsqueak
01-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Your business your rules

Check the HPA guidance

Eldest has just had conjunctivitis - secondary school did not want him in school till he was treated and no more gunk
doctor said 48hrs AFTER treatment had started

a friend who runs a nursery will not have children back in until the eyes are totally clear

local primary has them back after 24hrs

me personally - i would say 48hrs after treatment started AND no more gunk or red eyes.

grindal
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I have it written into my policies that children must not return for 24 hours after starting antibiotic eye drop treatment from their gp.

My own DS had this recently and I took him to the gp. She prescribed eye drops for him, but said it was a self limiting condition that cleared up by itself after a few days with or without the eye drops.

We only used the eye drops once :blush: :blush:

sorry - have not helped much

Debster
03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Official guidelines state that there is no exclusion time needed for this condition. I however have stipulated in my policy that under 3's will be asked to stay away until they have eyedrops and the eyes are clear before return as younger children are more likely to pass it on. That said I would turn away a older child if it was a bad case I have had a mum try and bring a child when his eyes were swollen shut:panic: Its your business and its at your discretion.