PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Assistant course advice please...

mindermummy
28-01-2011, 09:45 AM
hi

i want to do an at home teaching assistant course.

I have googled it and SO many come up...im not sure which is good or not....if some are not recognised etc.

Anyone got an idea of what ones are DEF ok??

How long are they from home? and is there placement times in them..and how long??

Any advice would be great thank you

sarah707
28-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I would ask at your local school... which course would they want you to take if they were going to employ you?

Good luck! :D

Carpet Monkeys
28-01-2011, 11:40 AM
You'll find that the majority of the ones on line are not legit (sp), best approaching a college and doing it through them! I've looked into this and contacted the awarding bodies regarding one I found on line and they didn't even know about the company offering them!

lfishwick
28-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Also some state that they are equivelent to level 3 etc but in fact they are not recognised and also some qualifications are being phased out and new ones introduced - so you are better to ask your local LEA or college to find out which are acceptable to make sure you don't end up doing a course that is worthless ( in regards to gaining employment).

Blackcat
28-01-2011, 01:05 PM
i did mine with a company called stonebridge college.
it is recognised by councils and all teaching agencies, i did voluntering time in my sons school

clio0602
28-01-2011, 01:19 PM
i did mine with a company called stonebridge college.
it is recognised by councils and all teaching agencies, i did voluntering time in my sons school

I have done a child development course with stonebridge as they do recognised qualifications. Didn't know they did ta might be going back with them :-D x

Kezzle
04-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Hello,

I am currently doing a Teaching Assistant course called 'supporting learning in primary schools' with the open university. It's really good, very helpfull tutor and students. You have to do a placement within a primary school, for at least 5 hours a week. You can get financial help towards the cost of the course too. You also have residential classes once a month roughly, but you don't have to attend all of them, but it's fun to meet new people and share ideas. Hope this helps you

Kez.