PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing a trick?

LucyatMCM
28-01-2011, 09:26 AM
The last couple of visits I've had have gone ok in most respects except that the children have wandered around a lot, meaning that one of the parents has followed them around and missed out on the conversation. I don't know if they're ok with this or if they feel that the house isn't well laid out for childminding? This is our house...

http://www.maplecrescent.co.uk/Data/Sites/1/media/GalleryImages/24/WebImages/houseplan.jpg

When they arrive I tend to do a tour of the rooms I use, making tea/coffee at the same time as showing them the playroom and views of the garden.

I lay out all the toys in the playroom but keep a couple (usually lego) in the sitting room. I then ask them to come and sit down in the sitting room because it's more comfortable and less formal than at the table in the playroom. But having seen the toys in there the child then doesn't want to sit and play with lego in the sitting room, they want to keep going back to the playroom. That doesn't bother me, it's just as I say it makes the conversation harder. Should I

a) put a stairgate on the kitchen door to stop them getting into the playroom (which I might have there anyway)
b) suggest we sit more formally at the dining table in the playroom
c) just shut up and go with the flow cause children will wander?

Thanks folks!

mama2three
28-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I would do the initial chat in the playroom tbh - or if you decide to go with the sitting room then close the door behind you!

flowerpots
28-01-2011, 09:38 AM
i always do mine in the playroom hun, it gives the children a chance to play and feel a bit more relaxed and when they are relaxed it seems to be easier to interact with them (which is what the parents like to see i think?) :D

i think i personally would have a stairgate on the playroom door. :)

CAZMCA
28-01-2011, 10:04 AM
i would chat to the parents where the children would spend most of their time this way you are showing them it is a comfortable environment to be in. Give little one some toys and sit on the floor with them, do you have been bags, pillows etc? You could all sit down that way being able to offer the best attention to the child at all times.

I would have an initial chat then offer to show them around your home/garden etc. :D

Hope this helps, now i'm going to go sulk into my cuppa at the fact i haven't got a playroom :(

xx caz

CAZMCA
28-01-2011, 10:06 AM
i would chat to the parents where the children would spend most of their time this way you are showing them it is a comfortable environment to be in. Give little one some toys and sit on the floor with them, do you have been bags, pillows etc? You could all sit down that way being able to offer the best attention to the child at all times.

I would have an initial chat then offer to show them around your home/garden etc. :D

Hope this helps, now i'm going to go sulk into my cuppa at the fact i haven't got a playroom :(

xx caz

oh and definate stairgate :thumbsup:

LucyatMCM
28-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks all. I haven't got a stairgate for the playroom yet because there isn't actually a door there. It's open plan and the entrance is getting on for 150cm.

Caz, don't be jealous, it's not a proper playroom! See below

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs260.snc6/180854_10150166468801978_752816977_8502849_4888000 _n.jpg

Goatgirl
28-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi :),
I think its a good idea to keep everyone in the same area and if children do wander, for you to be the one retrieving them.

If it feels a bit cramped with everyone in the playroom, why not let the children choose a toy or box of toys to bring throught to the sitting room and have something in there already to occupy them. If they then want to play with other stuff you can say 'if you come back again you can play with it /in there then'.

Bit hard to say what's best for your home, its really what feels right to you :)

I find the dynamics are so different with each family I have to play things by ear anyway, but in your situation I'd be going crazy if the adults were wandering off whilst I was trying to talk to them. I have enough trouble focusing for whole sentences as it is :D!

bws,
Wendy :)

~Grasshopper~
28-01-2011, 12:23 PM
hiya.

i am just waiting for my first family to arrive. eeekkk :)

i intend on having a chat first then showing them round.

i have 2 young boys of my own and i know if they were to see a play room there is no chance they would come back into the living room. x

x

LucyatMCM
28-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi,

Next visit due to arrive in 15 mins. I have put the stairgate on the kitchen but intend to stay in the playroom. I may as well show them around on arrival because they have to go through or past all the other rooms to get there.

I'm really not sure about retrieving the children myself. I was going to ask what other people do about this and just generally stopping the children from doing stuff you wouldn't let them do if you were minding them.

Do the parents expect to see an example of your discipline/control techniques or would they be offended for you to this before you have been employed? I think I would be the later!

Rmead
28-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm going to do exactly the same as suggested. Haven't had a visit yet but in contact with a parent who does want to visit in Feb. My layout is sort of similar with a conservatory/playroom off the kitchen and the sitting room next to hall/front door. I'm going to do my chats in the playroom around the table. It is less comfy but easier to spread paperwork out and for the children to play, although I do have toys in both rooms too. I have a door between kitchen and playroom so will keep that shut too.

Hope the visit went well :)

LucyatMCM
28-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your tips. This went much better.

However the place is not until September so unless I find someone before then....!