PDA

View Full Version : Feeling disheartened

atmkids
27-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I've been on two courses in the last week, one ran by NCMA development workers and one by birth to five. I came out of both of them feeling really disheartened and as though I'm doing everything wrong.

Basically, my learning journeys consist of children's artwork, most of which (but not all) follow a theme like seasons, Christmas etc. Then I have observation forms which have a photo, links to EYFS, next steps etc. and then there are some pages with odd photos of free play etc.

I think they look lovely and the parents love them but I've been made to feel that I should NOT be using themes as they are not child led. But surely as long as they're not forced to do anything and are enjoying the learning experience that you are giving them I don't see how it can be a bad thing. We probably only do one or two adult led activities a week.

The development worker said that everything including paints should be freely accessible for the children and when I said that I wasn't happy with this as I didn't want paint all over my walls she replied by saying that primarily it's my business. Yes it's my business and the children are happy and well looked after with plenty of stimulating activities but it's my home.

I'm due for my inspection at the end of the year and was hoping that what I was doing now would be good enough to keep my good grade but now I'm beginning to wonder whether I should be changing everything again.

Sorry for the ramble, just hoping for some reassurance or somebody to tell me where I'm going wrong.

mama2three
27-01-2011, 10:23 AM
it doesnt sound to me like you are going wrong!
Happy stimulated children , happy parents , lovely evidence to show Ofsted ...what more do you need?
As for themes , I guess it depends on the age of the child but we follow them - mainly as a framework for me really - children have as much or as little 'themed' activity as suits them as individuals and we do all the 'continuous' things alongside too.
I have crafty things / paint / messy play freely available here....most minders I know wouldnt though. And if I had different children who I couldnt trust not to paint my walls then it wouldnt be out unless directly supervised.
Look through your course notes ..there may be one or two things you can do to enhance your practice ...forget the rest!

sarah707
27-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I follow child-led planning until the children reach about 3... then they are ready for a little more structure and out come my themed activities.

My themed activities follow the seasons and global / national / local festivals and celebrations and events.

In other words... things that interest the children.

If I followed their interests all the time how would they learn about new things?

My learning journeys sound very much like yours - examples of children's artwork, lots of photos, observations and individual planning to show how children are progressing.

I was also advised to have all my art and craft stuff out - which went fine until a child drew on my window ledge with marker pen. :(

It is now all locked away... the children know it is there and can ask for it when I am supervising them.

I also have written a timetable showing my creative development planning through a month to evidence that I plan a lot of different activities for the children to explore.

They don't need paints every day!!

Hth :D

Milli147
27-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry, I can't offer any reassurance, but FREELY ACCESSIBLE PAINTS?! :panic: Does anyone do that? Maybe for over 5's I would but not with little ones.
If I left the paints out the 16m old would just eat it all, it's all I can do to psyche myself up to do some 100% supervised painting at the best of times! Once he has finished licking the brush and grabbing handfuls of paint to rub on floor/hair/me it ends up taking 3 times longer to clean up that we spent painting.
I know childminders who won't do painting or messy play in their houses and go out to groups to do it - don't know what grades they get mind you!

solly
27-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't have messy play in my house especially in the winter, I do sometimes have it out in the summer as they can make a mess outside, but i do go to the local childminding group and the childrens centre and we do all that there.

I do enough with the children and they are happy and stimulated without having to so messy play.
At the end of the day it may be where I work but it is also my home and refuse to have it any other way.
As long as the children are happy and the parents are happy with what you do then i cant see there being a problem:)

atmkids
27-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the reassurance.

Like Sarah says, a child isn't going to come up to you and ask to learn about the change in the seasons etc so it's our job to teach them. Children love absorbing information but they need adult guidance to do this. And in my experience a 3 or 4 year old child will get a great deal of pleasure in learning new things and then creating some artwork relating to what they've learnt.

As for the paints, the children know where they are but can't reach them. We do painting regularly but only at convenient times and with direct supervision.

Mouse
27-01-2011, 10:45 AM
What a shame they've made you feel like this. My advice would be to ignore them & carry on as you are!

I often hear it said that Ofsted don't like themes, but I think it's not always understood how we use them.

I have a theme each month. It helps me with my planning & resources. If, for example, the theme was animals, I'll put out lots of resources to do with animals (books, small world etc), but it doesn't mean that's ALL I put out. The children are free to chose what they want to play with, which may or may not include the animals.
Some of our craft activities will be related to animals, but not all. And again, if they children want to do something different they can, though more often than not they want to do what I've planned.
If I didn't have a theme I think I'd just be fumbling round in the dark trying to think up things to do. Having a theme makes me more organised, leads to better use of my resources and gives the children a balanced range of activities.

As for paint being out all the time...what twaddle! The children know where the paint is & will sometimes ask for it. If it's a suitable time, I will get it out, but if not I will explain why & tell them when we will get it out. I'm afraid I don't go along with the idea of children having free access to everything, all of the time. They don't in a nursery, so why should they in a home? The children here have free access to everything that I set out and always have out, but no way am I letting loose with EVERYTHING I have :eek:

MaryMary
27-01-2011, 12:21 PM
It is a practicle impossiblity to leave paint out all the time - it will dry out!! :eek: Do they think we are made of money?!

It is such a shame when the people we look to for support undermine our confidence like this :(

Sounds like you are doing a grand job! :thumbsup:

Bridey
27-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm thinking that maybe I should become a development officer ... I'm very good at having an opinion about subjects I know nothing about! ;) ;) ;)

PixiePetal
27-01-2011, 02:15 PM
ditto to the above posts - I can have loose themes. my mindees are all very young and it keeps me motivated if I can bring in new ideas at their level or I would be playing with the same half a dozen toys every day :rolleyes:

They are always happy to do different things if I bring them out.

As for paints - mine are in a closed cupboard. My house is not up for redecoration yet! I have a (new) cat litter tray on low table with paper, glue sticks/old greetings cards and scissors (depending on age) and pots of wax crayons/pencils/felt pens to be used under supervision. I move it higher when the 'cruiser' is about!!

sweets
27-01-2011, 02:42 PM
PAINTS LEFT OUT ALL THE TIME!

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

NO NO NO NO NO :panic: :panic:

Jess214
27-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't see the prob with themes. I have themes and I still do painting with them it's just that they are given a sheet with an out line on or a cut out of something that encorporates the theme they then move on to plain paper for freestyle painting. Also painting isn't the begining, middle and end of creativity! I always have paper on the table and easel with pens, pencils or crayons out for them to draw.
Don't be disheartened I think parents are more important than ofsted and if parents are happy then you're doing an outstanding job!!

Bridey
27-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't be disheartened I think parents are more important than ofsted and if parents are happy then you're doing an outstanding job!!

Thats just the point though - neither the NCMA nor the council are anything to do with Ofsted. It really annoys me how they both interfere with what childminders are doing, constantly undermining what they do, sensationalising non-existent rules and making them feel inadequate when Ofsted inspections prove otherwise. Its good to strive to improve but I do get fed up with people who have never actually worked with the EYFS telling us how to run our own businesses.

If the children, the parents, Ofsted and you are happy with the service you offer then everyone else can keep their noses out as far as I'm concerned!

atmkids
27-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks ladies, I feel much happier now. You're all so good at talking sense and putting things into perspective.