PDA

View Full Version : Stressed

SonnysMummy
17-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry but i need abit of a moan and i'm sure you ladies are the ones to understand...
I really think i'm getting myself too stressed out about all of this. For the last 2 months i have been working on childminding stuff every night from when i put my son to bed until midnight. All day i have him to entertain so can't get any done then...and in the day when he naps i'm trying to got the house straight and child proofed...you'd think the queen was visiting and not Ofsted!!! I was painting my gates for 2 hours this afternoon because i want to make a good impression when the inspector comes!
I feel so tired...think i'm making myself ill with it all. All i think about is what i need to do...the standards and policies!!!!!!!!!!!!:panic: :panic: :panic:
The straw that broke the camels back...my fiance came up to bed about an hour ago and threw a wobbly because i had policies scattered all over our bed!!! I said let me just get them sorted and i'll take them downstairs but he went off on when that he's tired and at work all day while i'm at home!!! Why can't he realise that i may be at home but i'm working my socks off trying to get my business set up properly so that i can start bringing money in too and i'm also looking after our little boy!!! It's hard work but he doesn't understand. He'll proberly have the same attitude when i start childminding...just thinking i'm at home watching This Morning or something:mad:
Anyway he's gone to sleep in the spare room now. Got the air bed out and totally messed up the room i had all tidy with the travel cot and everything for when Ofsted come...great more work for me before she comes:mad:
:( :( :(

angeldelight
17-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I think you need to take a step back from it and dont take on so much

Getting worried and stressed is not going to help you

Relax and enjoy the job you are paid to do and the job you love doing - you are going to make yourself a nervous wreck

Why do you think you have to do paper work every evening? You need a life too

Have a rest from it for a few days - do your job - not the paper work and concentrate on your family

Take time out for yourself

Hope you have a good nights sleep

Tomorrow is another day

Angel xxx

Blaze
17-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I agree with Angel...your gonna burn yourself out! Take a break...OFSTED are not going to expect everything to be perfect for your pre-reg & by the time your inspected EYFS will be in, so everything will have changed...which means you are going to have to review everything & learn a new framework...just slow down a bit or you'll be exhausted before you even start!!:rolleyes:
Blaze:)

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry but i need abit of a moan and i'm sure you ladies are the ones to understand...

we do

I really think i'm getting myself too stressed out about all of this. For the last 2 months i have been working on childminding stuff every night from when i put my son to bed until midnight. All day i have him to entertain so can't get any done then...and in the day when he naps i'm trying to got the house straight and child proofed...you'd think the queen was visiting and not Ofsted!!! I was painting my gates for 2 hours this afternoon because i want to make a good impression when the inspector comes!

is this your first inspection or just your pre reg. If our pre reg save the stressing until you are registered

I feel so tired...think i'm making myself ill with it all. nothing is worth that

All i think about is what i need to do...the standards and policies!!!!!!!!!!!!:panic: :panic: :panic:

It's hard work but he doesn't understand.he probably never will He'll proberly have the same attitude when i start childminding...just thinking i'm at home watching This Morning or something:mad: I am lucky my hubby works shifts so sees the hard work I do but evenhe occasionally makes the odd comment - he also has a death wish

Anyway he's gone to sleep in the spare room now. Got the air bed out and totally messed up the room i had all tidy with the travel cot and everything for when Ofsted come...great more work for me before she comes:mad:
:( :( :(

Really don't know what to say but don't stress so much about it Ofsted are human really you may even get a decent inspector there are some out there. What you have to remember is even after 5 years of minding I still clean like a maniac when Ofsted are coming even though it is perfectly cleanand tidy. It can sometimes be very daunting especially when you read lots of posts about Ofsted that do not paint a good picture. All you have to do is make sure you can tell her/him what you will do in situations and what things you have in place or will do. You do not need thousands of policies (yet) just know your standards and think about how you will cover them. Iam sure there will be a thread somewhere giving more advice

Blaze
17-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Much better put kate!
Blaze:rolleyes: ;)

sarah707
18-04-2008, 07:25 AM
You need to find a balance... somewhere between enjoying your work and putting your family first... you need them behind you and supportive for when the hard work and potentially difficult children start.

I suggest you split your evening into 2... get little one to bed, maybe have tea with partner, do some work and make sure he is busy too, then stop about 9 and spend some cuddling on the sofa time with partner.

You will get it all done - it's not a panic... but if you burn out, it's no good for anyone!

take care of you xx

Pipsqueak
18-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Some aspects can be overwhelming but the trick is like everyone else says - finding the balance.

I know there is tons of info on here biut don't forget some people on here have built up their resources over many years and have tons of experience and you cannot be expected to apply it straight away.

Take a step back - weekend of and spend it with your family.

xxxxx

mrsbumbles
18-04-2008, 08:13 AM
You need to take a deep breathe and relax, slow down a bit.

The ofsted inspectors are really nice people (The ones i have had are)

The inspection is not as intence as you might think it will be, normally the inspector will come in and sit down and watch how you behave around the children and ask you questions about your business.

They dont grill you!

You will be asked questions that you cant answer and they will ask the same question a different way to see if you know the answer it.

Mine have never said anything negative to me and have just made suggestions how i could improve my pratice.

Dont slog your guts out for an outstanding grade, if you get a good thats great :thumbsup: (I got a good)

I have a huge portfolio full of policies and stuff and in the 10 yrs i have been minding only one parent has read it from cover to cover, most just flick through it!

Not one parent has asked me my grading and i dont think any of them would know what is is if you asked them!

This may sound strange but i really enjoyed my inspection and like you i worried myself silly about for weeks, i made myself ill, when my inspection was over i had a huge migraine, i put the 2 mindees in the buggy and walked for miles tying to calm down!

Good luck and i hope it all goes well, keep us posted on the outcome, i bet you will do great:thumbsup:

bubbly
18-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Ahh, welcome to the world of childminding!

No seriously, don't go getting yourself all stressed and upset. Life is too short and I've done enough stressing for everyone over the past 6 months. I've now tried to pace myself and accept my own limitations. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and a worrier but I came to realise I'm not the Bionic Woman and never will be. I felt guilty if I even sat down for a moment instead of planning activities or playing with the kids. Now I don't feel guilty because I realise I'm entitled to a few moments peace every now & again.

I didn't have any policies prepared pre-reg. and it wasn't a problem in the slightest. I wasn't even asked about them. My house and garden were checked over, certain documents checked and I was asked questions on the Nat. Standards and what I would do if certain situations arose. Most of it was common sense to be honest.

I also have a partner who doesn't really understand how much I work my socks off so I know where you're coming from.

Just relax a little and keep telling yourself no one expects you to be Bionic :)

Alibali
18-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Can i suggest that your DH spends a full day with you while minding, as an observer and sees what you actually do? My DH no longer takes any time off when I am minding cos he says its too much like hard work, but in the beginning he did make the 'you're at home all day' comments! He knows better now.

Ali:)

Hellsbells
18-04-2008, 08:28 PM
How are things today Kelly?
Hope you're ok and feeling a bit more relaxed.
Deep breaths....:rolleyes:

Trouble
18-04-2008, 08:33 PM
my hubby rings to chat to me and i say go away im working or listen to this screaming but knows buy the state of the house that ive been busy:clapping:

buildingblocks
18-04-2008, 08:37 PM
You need to find a balance... somewhere between enjoying your work and putting your family first

ah but I am okay on this one Sarah no children to consider and Gary knows he comes way down a long list after the mindees :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Niecynoo
18-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi kelly hows it going, hope your relaxin a little xxx

casey's mum
18-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Defo listen to the advice, take a step back and chill a little!

P.S My hubby was a little put out and pi**y with stuff like this at first but now I earn more than he does so it makes me feel a lot better! lol

It is worth it in the end! Keep your chin up chick!

Angela xx

Clever Clogs
18-04-2008, 09:37 PM
HI there

Can totally sympathise with you. I too have just been newly registered and after gaining so much advice and knowledge from this forum, also find myself in panicky moments when I read something and think "Oh no, I don't hae that!" and go off for hours trying to plan and put together information. I've been on maternity leave (son born last June) but since Oct have been working my socks off getting things prepared for childminding. After various comments from hubby just like yours it does get to you. It's only in the past week or so I've tried to step back a bit. Family is more important definitely and to be honest feel as though even though I'm with my son just about every minute of the day, feel I'm not spending any quality time with him but instead trying to do the best for any other children I may have to care for - it's really not worth it - we'll all get there in the end I suppose.

I agree with all the others - step back a bit and relax (I also work as an aromatherapist and am very good at telling others how much stress can have a major impact on our lives - not so good at following it myself). You know and I know and so do all the others on this forum how hard we do actually work - I remember thinking when I only had 1 child that is was nice to get out to my office job for a rest - now I have 2 and am constantly at home I know just how much of a rest I did get when at work.

Hope you're feeling a bit better and not feeling so stressed out.

Tracey

angeldelight
19-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Hope you have a good weekend and its stress free

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
19-04-2008, 10:07 AM
awww hun

honestly you need to take a step back!!

hope you feel better and have sorted things out with hubby

Fandangles
19-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Was going to say lots of stuff about men and their perception of the worth of a woman's job whatever it is but stopped myself as reminded myself that I am severely bitter and twisted and not everyone is like this!!:D

I will limit myself therefore to saying that I hope you feel better today!:)

donnahay0
19-04-2008, 05:08 PM
I think we all get caught up in childminding paperwork sometimes. I know my husband thinks I do far too much (sometimes it's just the look he gives me). I often get so caught up in minding stuff I forget my family need me too, even though they are all older (youngest is 11).

Like Angel and the others have said, you really need to take a step back and take a break. Just remember that all this stuf you are doing like painting the gate will not make an overall difference to the inspection. It is difficult I know but you have to keep things in perspective.

I hope you have sorted things out with your partner - he might come across as being selfish but at the end of the day he wants to spend time with you.

Get some you time in.

p.s. I bet the freshly painted gates look fab.

SonnysMummy
21-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Thankyou all so much for the replies and support!!!
I'm ok...the stress hit a peak at the weekend actually and it was horrible. On saturday i didn't actually sit down at all from 7 in the morning until 1 the next morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and i'm not exaggerating. I was cleaning and getting the house safe...sorting toys and paperwork!!!:panic: :panic: :panic:
But now Ofsted have been and i can relax a little. Still loads to do before i take on children but i feel alot happier now:D

Kelly:)

donnahay0
21-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Pleased to hear that you have managed to de-stress now. Still need to let go a bit more though. You have done your stuff now you can take it down a pace.

Have you tried doing a pilates class or something like that, don't know if you would get a chance to get out - it might help.

lady boss
21-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I totally understand how you are feeling, & i hope you have taken everyone's advice and slowed down a little.

I have only just become registered and like you am constantly trying to keep up with paperwork, and learning all about different parts of setting up my business the list is endless. I too find myself not sleeping as i am on pc most nights and then when i finally go to bed my head is buzzing with things i need to do. I have lists of things to do all dotted around the house but just as i cross one off complete another 10 things get added!!:panic:

I feel like since i gave up my full time office job my partner is in a mood with me, and it seems like he is constantly critical of everything i do and its really p****** me off!!!!:mad:

Apart from that i am enjoying caring for the little boy i have, i couldnt have wished for a better mindee!!!

I hope you are feeling a little more relaxed though hun, im sending you a big group hug:group hug: :group hug: xxx