PDA

View Full Version : Here's one I need help with!

Ally
17-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I have just agreed to take on a new child who, to start with, will be part time for about 3 - 6 weeks whilst mummy gets a new job for which she is having interviews at the moment. There is no doubt that she will be working as she is not a SAH mum. Daddy is already working (they had their own business which flopped). She will need the full time place but not immediately.

What do others do in this situation? Do I charge them a retainer for the Mon and Fri that they are currently not using but will be wanting? My DH says that I should not as the likelihood of filling those 2 days is remote but then on the other hand why shouldn't they pay to be certain that those 2 days are theirs? To make matters worse she told me to tell them what I decide and they will go with whatever my decision as it is my business - Did someone say that all the considerate parents had gone out with the Ark? I am having trouble deciding what to do - HELP!!! Not only that but after what I have been through in the last month I really need to get this one right.

Ally

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Its the age old question of how long is a piece of string as each of us runs our business differently so you will get lots of different answers and I think the majority on here will agree with your hubby.

I on the other hand like lots of partimers as it gives me quieter days and as I don't drive means I have more flexibility.

Another option you have is if someone comes along requiring that space then you give them first option on the space. Entirely up to you really.

ajs
17-04-2008, 10:10 PM
it's tricky as i have never charged to hold a place open
for instance one mum had a friday only with the understanding that i would take the child 4 days a week from the 14th april i thought about it but i wasn't going to even try to fill the space so didn't charge her

but my frined has one mum who works 3 days out of 5 but doesn't know what day until the week before so she charges for 3 full days and 2 half days guaranteeing the space for the child

good luck though but if mum is asking you to make a decision she is expecting to pay something for the unused days

Twinkles
17-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I think I would only charge for the days I had the child providing she will send him to you full time when she gets a job, as a gesture of good will.
But I would probably put a time limit on it , say eight weeks or so.

RedDragon
18-04-2008, 06:37 AM
I personally would not charge for those extra days but what I woulddo is if the parent is late charge for the extra time and if she changes the days I would charge extra for those days (even if it means the child is still coming to you for 3 days and you would charge for 4 some weeks). I am quite flexible and for me it works because the parents (although sometimes slow in paying) are great.

sarah707
18-04-2008, 06:47 AM
I have always offered flexible hours... I think that's how we win over nurseries who would insist on the whole week being paid... I'm like Twinkle, I think a lot of it's about good will... :D

miffy
18-04-2008, 06:49 AM
I'd charge her the three full days she is using and say if you get an enquiry for the mon and fri you will give her first option for those days

But it is your business and if you need to make all your spaces pay then half fee for the two unused days is not unreasonable

I agree with mandy that if she has asked you about those days she is probably expecting to have to pay something for them

miffy xx

angeldelight
18-04-2008, 06:49 AM
If the parent wants part time for now - then I would have concrete hours in the contract for the 3 - 6 weeks so she must stick to them

If she wants extra days here and there due to having an interview I would tell her you need advance warning and can only do it out of contract hours if you are free to do so

If she expects full time after that then I would tell her that is ok but only if the place is still free

It might take her ages to get a job so you need to know where you stand

I would not charge for any time that the child is not with me

Angel xx

Ally
18-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you everybody - you have been a great help. I think I will charge her for the 3 days and keep the other ones available. DH is probably right in that I will probably not fill those days anyway as things are slow. They always appear just at the right time though!

Ally:)