PDA

View Full Version : Im sure Im right so can someone tell me if I am!!

Newbie1!
20-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Hia guys, as Im fairly new Im still collating a Risk Assessment folder. However, when talking to a fellow CM yesterday they advised that I was doing it incorrectly.

What I have been doing is basically Ra-ing venues etc we visit, so if we go to a new soft play Ive done an RA on that soft play area. She said that I shouldnt do one on individual areas and that I should just do an "outings" RA. Surely this cant be right as if I did an outings RA then I could take them to allsorts of places that wouldnt be safe.......hmmmm today we will visit an Abbatoir!!! Please can someone tell me if Im right or if shes right!!!

And if Im wrong then Ive done a hoooooge amount of extra work that I didnt need :blush: :blush:

gegele
20-01-2011, 09:12 AM
it is good practice to do so especially place with dangerous bit (ponds etc...)

you can do a generic one for toddler groups and then add note for special feature at certain places

same for farms....

with RA better too much than not enough!;)

Chimps Childminding
20-01-2011, 09:15 AM
I agree!! Better to have done individual RA's on places than a blanket one that may not cover somewhere you take the children :thumbsup:

Bridey
20-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I do generic ones for shops, ponds, nature walks but do specific ones for each cafe, soft play centre, children's farm, library etc.

Chatterbox Childcare
20-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I believe the specific wording is "each type" of outing

Soft play is 1, shos another, school run, swimming pool. I would add to it if needed each time I went to a new place but in general they are all the same

Louise0208
20-01-2011, 09:33 AM
On my ICP last year i was told to do 1 for shops, 1 for school run, etc etc but for the soft play, surestart centres (or anything else dedicated to little ones) its only the journey that neds RA as the venue itself will be RA by staff.

that said......i still have done a risk assesment on my local surestart centre as my DD was injured there on a broken & badly repaired trike.

Newbie1!
20-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Fab, thank you all - this is pretty much what I thought. I hadnt done one on every single soft play etc just had been doing a soft play one, a sure start one, a park one, a nature reserve one etc etc......phew - glad Im at least getting something somewhere near right!!!xxx

lorimac
20-01-2011, 10:34 AM
You are absolutely correct, I have a general outings risk assessment but also a risk assessment for every place i take the children too.

Newbie1!
20-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Potentially this is going to be a very stupid question but......!! I wonder if someone could tell me if things like this are the difference between satisfactory and good gradings? Im concerned Im concentrating too much on certain things that wont be relevant and missing the things that are!!! xxx

rickysmiths
20-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Do remember that places like the Sure Start Centre, soft play and farms have their own Risk Assessmnets and if requeated they should give you a copy.

Niknak1978
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I am equally confused. I have been a childminder for 3 months now but am finding that everything is rolling into one!! I really didn't realise how unprepared I really am :(

I am doing observations, and a focused ob once a week. I have a 35 month old with me Mon, tues & Weds 8am-6pm. If I am having him for this long should i be doing all this every day or just once a week or once a week.

I don't have a Fire Drill Log book as I am unsure where to find all this. When i do ask I just get a reply and it's then goes onto something else.

I do use the BCMA and now the south gloucestershire web sites which i thought was great for RA.

Am I just being silly, to get your buisness up and running surely it takes longer than just three months

HELP!!!!!!!!!:confused: :eek:

Newbie1!
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Hi,

I am equally confused. I have been a childminder for 3 months now but am finding that everything is rolling into one!! I really didn't realise how unprepared I really am :(

I am doing observations, and a focused ob once a week. I have a 35 month old with me Mon, tues & Weds 8am-6pm. If I am having him for this long should i be doing all this every day or just once a week or once a week.

I don't have a Fire Drill Log book as I am unsure where to find all this. When i do ask I just get a reply and it's then goes onto something else.

I do use the BCMA and now the south gloucestershire web sites which i thought was great for RA.

Am I just being silly, to get your buisness up and running surely it takes longer than just three months

Hia chick.

My Childcare Improvement Officer is booked to come to my house tomorrow for two hours to go through it all as I told her I was being told conflicting things. I am just going to get everything out to show her what I do and when and see what she says. Will let you know when I get it from the horses mouth!! xx

Niknak1978
02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi ya,

That would be great thank you very much :jump for joy: hope all goes ok
Nikki x

mr man
02-02-2011, 07:21 PM
wow, i'll look forward to hearing. what a great idea.

sarah707
03-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Potentially this is going to be a very stupid question but......!! I wonder if someone could tell me if things like this are the difference between satisfactory and good gradings? Im concerned Im concentrating too much on certain things that wont be relevant and missing the things that are!!! xxx

It's hard to put a definitive answer because all inspectors vary in their judgements.

To get satisfactory you need to be meeting the standards... to get good you need to be doing a little bit more.

To get satisfactory you need to have RAs in place... to get good they will be more detailed, show more awareness of risks, be for the majority of the individual places you go instead of just doing the minimum.

Hth :D

sarah707
03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi,

There are no rules - you need to do what will help you to plan for the child's learning and development... so if 1 obs a week is enough, then you are fine!

However if he does something in between, you really should be noting that as well.

You must note when you do your fire drills. You can note it on a piece of paper split into 12 months of the year.

Say who was there, the date and time, what exit you used, how long it took to get out and any problems.

Use problems to reflect on how you can do them quicker / better / more organised next time.

Getting your business up and running... well for me it has taken 16 years and I am still learning! :D