PDA

View Full Version : How do you get paid for retainers?

katickles
17-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Just thinking..............If you have a retainer, how do you get paid?

I get paid weekly in advance by mum & dad wether it be cash or cheque. So I was just thinking during the school holidays while child isn't in my care how would mum & dad pay?

How have you been paid in the past in these situations?

Oh my minds buzzing with questions today - sorry :panic:

deeb66
17-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I am paid straight to my bank account in advance at the beginning of the month so I don't really suffer with this problem.

Obviously depending on how much it is it might be worth asking for it to be paid in advance....especially if it is to cover 2 weeks as it probably would be about the same as 1 weeks normal pay iyswim.

The summer holidays might be a bit trickier.

susi513
17-04-2008, 03:22 PM
My retainer fees are paid direct by online bank transfers & childcare vouchers.

You could suggest to them that you've realised THEY might find it inconvenient to bring cash/cheque each week during the holiday so you are willing to agree a different arrangement over summer eg,

- they could write out postdated cheques so you could cash one each week
- they could make a bank transfer by telephone or online each week
- they could set up a standing order
- they could pay the whole of the retainer fee in the last week of childcare before the holiday starts
- if you were agreeable, they could pay half of the retainer fees in the last week before the holiday and the other half with the first week back in September

If you can't agree any of the above then set a weekly appointment time for them to call and pay you. I have had people put envelopes through the door, but if its cash then I find it embarrassing to point out if they've not put the right amount in.

I have in my contracts that any payments due during a holiday period are to be paid before the holiday starts but when I wrote that I was thinking of booked holidays rather than the entire school holidays. Will have to check how I've worded it.

katickles
17-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I am paid straight to my bank account in advance at the beginning of the month so I don't really suffer with this problem.

Obviously depending on how much it is it might be worth asking for it to be paid in advance....especially if it is to cover 2 weeks as it probably would be about the same as 1 weeks normal pay iyswim.

The summer holidays might be a bit trickier.

This is what i'm thinking - afterall the 6 weeks holidays will amount to 3 weeks pay. Really not sure about this one - I am wanting to write something into my contract. :o

manjay
17-04-2008, 04:21 PM
My retainer fees are paid direct by online bank transfers & childcare vouchers.

You could suggest to them that you've realised THEY might find it inconvenient to bring cash/cheque each week during the holiday so you are willing to agree a different arrangement over summer eg,

- they could write out postdated cheques so you could cash one each week
- they could make a bank transfer by telephone or online each week
- they could set up a standing order
- they could pay the whole of the retainer fee in the last week of childcare before the holiday starts
- if you were agreeable, they could pay half of the retainer fees in the last week before the holiday and the other half with the first week back in September

If you can't agree any of the above then set a weekly appointment time for them to call and pay you. I have had people put envelopes through the door, but if its cash then I find it embarrassing to point out if they've not put the right amount in.

I have in my contracts that any payments due during a holiday period are to be paid before the holiday starts but when I wrote that I was thinking of booked holidays rather than the entire school holidays. Will have to check how I've worded it.

Top advice from Susi as usual:thumbsup:

Mine all pay monthly direct to my bank so don't have the same problem sorry!

cloud9
17-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Just thinking..............If you have a retainer, how do you get paid?

I get paid weekly in advance by mum & dad wether it be cash or cheque. So I was just thinking during the school holidays while child isn't in my care how would mum & dad pay?

How have you been paid in the past in these situations?

Oh my minds buzzing with questions today - sorry :panic:

I personally get paid by standing order direct into a business account. Then the holiday situation doesn't arise. I was also advised by my bank it was the safest way to get paid.

manjay
17-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I personally get paid by standing order direct into a business account. Then the holiday situation doesn't arise. I was also advised by my bank it was the safest way to get paid.

It is a good way to be paid. Wouldn't work for me though as my invoices are different every month:D

Lou
17-04-2008, 08:00 PM
It is a good way to be paid. Wouldn't work for me though as my invoices are different every month:D

I get paid straight into bank by internet transfer, then doesnt matter if it is diferent each month, i do an invoice each month and they just transfer it

Rubybubbles
17-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I get paid straight into bank by internet transfer, then doesnt matter if it is diferent each month, i do an invoice each month and they just transfer it

ooooooo thats good to know!! the lady that came to see me asked about this as it would be better for them! (here's hoping she comes:cool: )

Lou
17-04-2008, 08:10 PM
ooooooo thats good to know!! the lady that came to see me asked about this as it would be better for them! (here's hoping she comes:cool: )

yes its really easy, only thing i would say is to make it clear that if they bank with a diff bank to you then it can take up to 5 days to go throughso they would have to pay it in plenty of time xx