PDA

View Full Version : For Minders who care for teachers children

katickles
17-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Sorry - a few questions here!:blush:

I have just secured a contract for care of a lo. Both parents are school teachers & so i will be only caring term time. I have explained that i will charge a retainer fee (1/2 usual amount) while lo isn't with me during the holidays. I also explained that if i get a call to care for a child just for school holiday cover that i wouldn't charge this fee.

What i'm wanting to know is how i record this on the contracts. I use NCMA contracts & there is a section for retainer fees, but is for a retainer fee paid.
Also do you write on the additional contracts note sections the school holidays? I have no idea when these are!

Also - I have have in my fees that both child & myself have 4 weeks holidays a year. I do not charge for my holidays but do charge in full for childs. How would this work if the childs taking holidays during school holidays?

Obviously parents are also off bank holidays - do you charge for these days as normal even if not minding? Not sure which box to tick in the section "rates inclusive for statutory public holidays"?

Thanks for all your help, again! :)

Noodles
17-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I would record everything in the notes section. The 4 week holiday period will not work if you are caring for the children term time only as they will be having more than 4 weeks a year. Also i would not charge for bank holidays if it was me as that is part of their school days off but it is up to you how you do it.

mjw
17-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I still charge retainer on Bank holidays for teachers as they still get paid. Never had a complaint yet about that.
Mary

Blaze
17-04-2008, 12:55 PM
You have my number...give me a call...will take me till next week to type my answer!
Blaze:)

katickles
17-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I still charge retainer on Bank holidays for teachers as they still get paid. Never had a complaint yet about that.
Mary

So Mary do you charge 1/2 usual rate on Bank Holiday Mondays then or the usual fee that applies to that day?:confused:

Blaze
17-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I use NCMA contracts & chatrge full for bank holidays as that is what i put in the contracts.

katickles
17-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I use NCMA contracts & chatrge full for bank holidays as that is what i put in the contracts.

Thanks Tasha - thats what i was hoping. I have put that the child is entitled to 4 weeks holiday (as I would on any contract) & that I would charge fees in full. I have however made a note that this applies only if the child is taking these holidays in term time IYSWIM?

How do you write in your contract about the retainer?

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I have just secured a contract for care of a lo. Both parents are school teachers & so i will be only caring term time. I have explained that i will charge a retainer fee (1/2 usual amount) while lo isn't with me during the holidays. I also explained that if i get a call to care for a child just for school holiday cover that i wouldn't charge this fee.

What i'm wanting to know is how i record this on the contracts. I use NCMA contracts & there is a section for retainer fees, but is for a retainer fee paid.
Also do you write on the additional contracts note sections the school holidays? I have no idea when these are!
I would write any extra info in the additional info section e.g. half fee retainer due in school holidays also write where it states hours and days at top pf page 2 I think term time only next to it

Also - I have have in my fees that both child & myself have 4 weeks holidays a year. I do not charge for my holidays but do charge in full for childs. How would this work if the childs taking holidays during school holidays?
I would just write holiday fees where it says but I would just charge the half fee retainer as the holiday won't effect you as such but you need it in writing in case htey take a holidy for some reason in term time - hope that makes sense

Obviously parents are also off bank holidays - do you charge for these days as normal even if not minding? Not sure which box to tick in the section "rates inclusive for statutory public holidays"?
can't help I don't work BH so don't charge

Thanks for all your help, again! :)

At the end of the day these are only suggestions as we all work and charge differently but this is what I do.

You need to make sure that in the additional info or the appropriate place you make sure you write down how you would charge for inset days, illness etc (full fee if child is off ill, etc

Personally if I have term time only contracts I don't charge a retainer for the holiday space as it suits me not to have a child in the holidays - I don't drive so too many children restricts what I do - but i ascertain if they are going to need occasional care if so then it would be a retainer fee hope that makes sense

katickles
17-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for that Kate - all done now & have done just pretty much as you said. I have detailed that its a TERM TIME ONLY CONTRACT (not meaning to shout there - by the way), have detailed hols as usual & just made notes that these apply if holidays are takin during term time.

I have also made notes that retainers are to be paid weekly, they can arrange to do so by cheque or to set up a standing order.

:)

miffy
17-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I use the notes box to record details about the retainer but I don't put the actual school holiday dates down.

I am confused about charging in full for Bank Holidays when all except May Day fall within school holidays when you say you would charge a half-fee retainer or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

miffy xx

childminder54
18-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Ive looked after many teachers children and only charge half in school holidays and public holidays because i donot have them..

thanks veronicaxxx

Blaze
18-05-2008, 12:37 AM
I use the notes box to record details about the retainer but I don't put the actual school holiday dates down.

I am confused about charging in full for Bank Holidays when all except May Day fall within school holidays when you say you would charge a half-fee retainer or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

miffy xx

On the NCMA contracts there is a section for Public bank holiday fees...in this section I write "Full"...I make it clear in person & on my fees policy that full pay is required for PBH's...hence I charge full fee for them...I really don't have a problem with this as the parents still get paid, so i don't see why I shouldn't either!:)

miffy
18-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks for explaining Tasha

miffy xx

Blaze
18-05-2008, 12:19 PM
LOL...I wasn't actually sure if i was making any sense at all! LOL!:laughing:

marian
18-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi
For the teachers children that I care for the contract says term time only where the holiday bit is and they would pay 1/2 fee for any bankholidays that were not in the school holiday eg May Day. Have had no problems with this.:)